Coyote Engine in FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has it been done? Does anyone know if it will fit? Thanks in advance.

I'll ask, what's a coyote engine?

If a 351 will fit, I don't see why a 5.0 wouldn't... I've also seen 454s in them.

hrdp-1306-02%2bford-coyote-engine-swap-guide%2bhow-the-coyote-measures-up-graph.jpg

Would be a struggle, especially as the engine needs to sit to one side due to the transfer case. At 737mm wide i cant see it fitting a Fj40 engine bay.

Plus, its a pretty powerful engine that produces a lot of heat. Its hard enough keeping a NA ~300bhp V8 cool, no idea how you'd keep a (EDIT 412bhp) V8 cool.

Edit - Sorry, its 412bhp in America. When Ford Australia bought the Coyote engine over here for the Falcon they factory fitted it with a supercharger and gave it an "overboost" function which pushed the engine to 542bhp. They needed it to keep up with the HSV GTS which has the 577bhp LSA.

Last edited:
The Coyote is really wide. If you want a 5.0, do the old roller cam pushrod 5.0 from a fox body mustang. They made great power and were reliable as hell. That being said, a SBC conversion is a whole lot cheaper and easier. Not as much out there in the way of SBF conversion adapters, etc. It can be done. I'm a mustang guy so I'd like to see where you take this.

I looked at doing this when I was searching for a V8. I ended up not because of the price of the engines, especially here in AUS. So I went with the Toyota/Lexus 1UZ which measures roughly:
730mm wide
630mm long
700mm tall

It does fit but a bit tight because of the wide sump but the heads clear OK, the 40 engine bay is pretty well shaped for V config engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom