Couple of Questions for the Pros (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fourrunner

SILVER Star
Threads
Just recently purchases an 1985 FJ60. It has 185K miles on it and wondered what weight of oil I should use in it (tried search)? It also has an exhaust leak somewhere in the engine bay area. Is there a common area that it would leak from? Anyone know a trick to find the leak other than pulling apart the entire top side to get to the exhaust manifold area? Thanks!

whatever is normal weight oil for a petrol or whatever you are driving. 15w40 or 20w50 or something. I drive a diesel, so petrols are a ??? to me.

and ususally exhaust leaks come from where the manifold joins the pipe. It uses 2 bolts holding 2 braces together, one on the manifold and one on the exhaust pipe, the "gasket/sealer" is metal rings that have a tendancy to stress break if the exhaust is loose, or the car has had the shakes.

Sam

10W-40 is what I've run in most everything, most all the time. Key is more on good oil, I'm a valvoline fan. IMO, Pennzoil is a BAD choice...

And s79bj40 is spot on....the gasket/donut between the manifold and the collector is the most common spot for leaks...

Woody. Right again! Pennzoil was one of the lowest quality oils in a shootout done by a racing rag I followed when I was racing. I should try to find that article and post the pertinent info. Valvoline scored much higher IIRC.

Fourrunner, congrats on the new purchase! I have a similar vintage FJ60 myself. The exhaust leaks from the manifold area are all too common on these beasts. The intake and exhaust manifolds bolt together and then to the engine. There are lot's of places for little leaks. Aside from the main exhaust pipe, look for leaks at the smaller EGR tube under the manifold. Sometimes a piece of tubing stuck in your ear and used as a stethoscope can help locate the leak.

Oh, 10-40w Castrol for years, but planning 20-50w on the next change.

Good luck,

I'm not a "pro" since I have a day job, and it's not related to my landcuiser...however I have learned a few things from working on my 87fj60, and from reading the various BB'...

Regarding the exhaust leak...I was amazed at how loose my intake/exhaust manifold nuts were...I now check them every 5K miles. Usually one or more is somewhat loose. Start there, and you can't go wrong.

Regarding oil choices...do some searches on the TLCA BB, and on this one, as there are lots of opinions...some of them are pretty well founded.

Congratulations...you're now part of a "healthy" addition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom