1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Correct way to De-Smog?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by xumFJ40, May 31, 2003.

1. xumFJ40

xumFJ40

First off, I will admit, I am pretty new at working on engines witn a vacuum system. That said, what is the correct way(if there is one) to de-smong a 2F engine? I have seen guys that had no sign of any vacuum equipment at all. Mine on the other hand has clearly been de-smogged, but has about half of the equipment(VSV, etc.) still in it. It is also not running at the moment. Clearly the PO removed the smog pump, the three imput thing on the manafold has been crimped down and (I think) vacuum lines have been re-routed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan
    ;75 FJ40

2. theferg

theferg

Media:
    Go here:

http://mtnmantis.cruiserpages.com/desmog/

This site is THE BEST. Especially for people like me who could not understand those diagrams for de-smogging that are floating around. I saved the entire webiste on my laptop and took down to the garage and walked right through the de-smog. The way I did it was jst pull pretty much anything that had a vacuum hose and then put the stuff back in that was needed. I also removed the EGR stuff and smog pump stuff because I was putting in non-smog headers.

3. xumFJ40

xumFJ40

Thanks,

That looks like an awsome site, however just by taking a quick look(I intend to go throught the whole site) I guess I should have been clearer. My 2F is a '75. I believe that it has a different system than the one that is explained in this web site. However, I may be able to glean the areas that I need to block off, off of this site. Like I said, I just glossed over it tonight.

Thanks, again

Ryan
    '75 FJ40

4. theferg

theferg

Media:
    Ya, I did notice you had a '75. I am not too sure on all the differences. My bud has a 77 and he doesn't have the same stuff as my engine did ('84 2F)..not sure if he has the same stuff since both of us de-smogged, but I will try and find out. Anyone else know?

5. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    i don't know, but i'm interested in what a mid 70's takes since i'm getting ready to desmog a 77 and stick it in my 65.

6. PHAT MAX

PHAT MAX

its not hard...if it looks like it doesnt help the engine run....and by run, i dont mean run cleaner...just take it off!

seriously...thats what i did. :G