Cooper S/T Maxx Real Reviews (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All good stuff, fellas. Thanks for continuing to share what you know on the Maxx. After its second winter, I'm still loving these tires. They have continued to hold up very well, wear just as well and continue to provide absolutely fantastic wet, snow and ice traction. It should be noted that I did have them syped upon install.

Yes, they are heavy and I still notice that, but they ride exceptionally well, road noise doesn't seem to be an issue and the fuel mileage is as I stated initially; impacted but not indefensible. After all, we don't drive the most fuel efficient vehicles.

When these suckers wear out, I will most likely be buying another set - I like them that much.

Recently interested in the ST Maxx as well. Always ran BFG AT's before, but they were destroyed on the trail at URE last weekend, plus I want to get something more aggressive. Here is a comparison of 275/70R18:

Relatively speaking, seems like the #1 complaint on these is weight. Here is a comparison:
Cooper ST Maxx = 59.75lbs (per Cooper CSR today)
DuraTrac = 55lbs
BFG AT = 58lbs
Toyo AT2 = 53lbs

#2 complaint is cost. Here is the current price listing from DiscountTireDirect as of 4/3/14:
Cooper ST Maxx: $254 (plus $25 off and free shipping)
DuraTrac: $277 (plus $25 off, free shipipng, and $60 Goodyear rebate per 4 tires purchased)
BFG AT: $234 (plus $25 off and free shipping)
Toyo AT2: $241 (TreadDepot)

Am I missing something here? Anyone else running them on a 100 series?

Last edited:
I would also look at Toyo AT2....goto treaddepot to price out. I just put the 295.70.18 on 100 and love the look it is the extreme so more void in tread. Replaced 285.65.18 BFG KO...remember KO getting replaced so life span of finding replacement tire will be limited in coming years.

...via IH8MUD app

1396627531894.jpg

1396627548213.jpg

I went with these due to the Cooper ST/STT/ST MAXX family don't fair well in the terrain I mostly wheel in....They chunk bad from the rock in my area. The Toyo family of tires can take the abuse better.

That is what you need to look at. I have ruined 2 sets of tires very quickly without doing local research.

Go put your hands on that Toyo tire at a local tire dealer and you will quickly see the difference.

Now I'm totally torn...

Like you said, it's all about location... Which this year we had a ton of snow. I'm finding more positive reads on the ST Maxx in this category.

Also, regarding durability, supposedly Cooper has changed their compound to make it more cut and chip resistant.

On the flip side, the XT sizes look mean for the Toyos.... Plus the 50k warranty cannot go unmentioned.

I am so far 100% happy with my ST/Maxx's. They replaced well used Duratracs and I don't miss them at all. I actually get a little better gas mileage with the ST/Maxx over the Duratrac and they are quieter too. I put some pics in my 80 series build thread.

S/T Maxx's look good on your truck dude! Definitely leaning towards these but still somewhat torn between the AT3 (for a more AT/road friendly/wallet friendly tire) and the S/T Maxx. From what I have been reading I will be happy with either one.

Okay, did a web search for the ST Maxx and of course it brought me back to Mud. My question is for those who've had their for an extended period of time.

How are they wearing? How many miles do you have on them?

I have them on a '13 Ram 3500 SRW, have 11,000 miles on them with 45% +- left. I drive alot... alot on gravel and seam to always be pulling a trailer loaded with equipment or cows. They're holding up great compared to others, I'll be buying another set when the time comes.

@Elk Hunt thank you. My dad just replaced the S/T's after a sidewall failure but LOTS of miles. The Cooper Tire dealer in Colorado he first spoke said they weren't wearing well and ended up purchasing ATP's, similar the A/T3's, but built to American/Discounts specs.

The Maxx looks very tempting. Out 80 isn't a daily driver but tire miles still matters... Kind of:hillbilly:

Had mine on my recently sold 100 and I loved them. They wore very well. I had probably 30k miles on them and they wore very well and very evenly. Towed an aluminum jet boat from Portland to Montana and they did great. Kept the rotated and having syped them, they held up great. A very nice looking tire, as well.

Had they not been $60 more per tire than the DuraTracs I just bought, I would have run them on my new F-150.

At 30k miles on them did they still look like they had good life left? Gonna buy tires soon and these are my top pick but debating if I need something quite this aggressive.

Ok hoping to grab these this weekend in 31x10.50x15 from discount tire. Got a notification from their ebay store that they went on promotion with a $40 instant rebate for web only. Called the local store and they said they would pricematch that. So at $740ish out the door, I don't think I can complain. Wish they would pm treaddepot.com as they have them for $155/ea!

Reading through the above mentioned Expeditionportal link I also found their review of the tire..
http://expeditionportal.com/field-tested-cooper-st-maxx/

Last edited:
Well just went to DT and ordered them. Should be here sometime next week so I will post up pics once I get them on the LC.

Been following this thread with great interest.
I'm considering buying a set of 255/85R16 ST Maxx and am wondering if owners of this size (or 255/80R17 - same specs), could provide me with some real world 'on the vehicle' measurements:
1) Actual tread width in contact with the ground.
2) Tire height on the vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

Got mine installed today, with DTD pricematch and warranty/etc. I was $857 out the door for the 31x10.50x15.
Quick ride to the bank and then home and they are seriously quiet. I thought I would hear a hum like a mud terrain but they are just as quiet as my old tires were. Haven't gotten them on the freeway yet but at 45mph they did not make any noise that I could tell. DT inflated to 30psi all around.

Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

Couple day review with multiple trips from Carson to Reno ( at least 60 miles round trip on highway) and seriously impressed with these. Got them mounted on Friday afternoon and found out Saturday morning that my nephew was born. Multiple trips to hospital and SIL/BILs house along with my wife's birthday on Saturday made for a couple long days with lots of driving.

Tires have seriously impressed me with how quiet they are so far. I expected MT hum right off the bat but they are as quiet as my old AT. I am sure as they wear down they will get louder but for now color me sold on Cooper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom