Coolant leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm out of ideas, I have checked everything, that I can think of.

2000 LC with 186k miles. I put new heater Tee's on a few weeks ago just for the PM and no idea when previous owner did it last, if ever. I lost a little coolant when changing them so I added back to the radiator when I was done.

The next morning I came outside to find a spot on my driveway about the size of the bottom of a water bottle. Still halfway asleep I figured it was just where some got caught in the skid plates and leaked out overnight. Over the next week or so I noticed the exact same spot and clearly it was coming from the front, not back at the firewall. So i assumed it was probably the radiator leaking. I pulled my skid plates off and looked and it was damp on the bottom driver side corner, building up and dripping on the two bolts on the bottom. I left my skid plates off over the last two weeks to try to figure out where the leak is coming from. Seemed like i had it figured out and the radiator was just leaking slowly and running down the that point and dripping. Well after a week, it stopped. I thought maybe it was low and i checked, radiator was still topped off so I started the truck and let it run and added to the system once the engine pulled it down some. topped back off and it doesnt leak any for next week so i was confused. Came outside yesterday morning and it had a tiny spot again. Dry this morning, and dry all day at work today.

Temperature has never fluctuated on me and it has never leaked down enough to make adding neccessary, when I added, it took maybe a 1/3 of a cup.

any ideas would be appreciated. starting to get irritated with these little spots on my driveway.

Has the water pump ever been changed? Could be several things, radiator seam, hose, water pump, coolant hose to throttle body, etc. You could pressure test the system to pinpoint. Small leaks can squirt out and drip from a different place than they originate. Any pink crusties anywhere? BTW, 1/3 cup is nothing, really...

Water pump done by Toyota 2 months ago. No pink crusty anywhere that I can see. I've searched. All hoses are new. Radiator is only weak link left and id think it would do it all the time. Especially after parking it getting to or from work with pressure still on everything. No red crusty anywhere under hood or in engine bay. Cant find anywhere it has squirted. Probably going to go ahead and change radiator as it is probably due up anyways. After that if it still leaks ill pressure test. I have no time and would rather do the work myself. so ill Park this one in the garage and start driving the work truck again.

And 1/3 of a cup is probably exaggeration. It was still in the filler "neck" where the cap goes. It was lower than that after Toyota did the water pump

Couldve gotten slightly hot and burped itself through the lower hose and lower neck union. Couldve burped through the cap. Petcock could be leaking. Its probably fine.

Sometimes if your radiator has a leak you'll need to top it off before you can find it leaking.

No mention of the reservior bottle fluid levels:have you been monitoring coolant levels when cold and hot? Also if you add coolant it's best done via the res. bottle.

Reservoir bottle is perfect. I typically add through that but thought since its levels were perfect and it had leaked a little thought i'd check it at the radiator to be safe.

Just an update...came out this morning and it had leaked again overnight. maybe a spot the size of a quarter this time. I got to work early today and put it on the lift, looks like the water pump may be the culprit (tiny tiny tiny little drip on the bottom of it, how its coming forward and getting to the radiator I dont know... Hope to run by toyota and have them look at it this afternoon. I talked to a friend who works there and he said they would give me a new water pump and refund the money for the labor if i want to replace it myself this time or put a new on for me at no charge. Probably going to do it myself this time if it needs it.

Did you figure it out?

I have a 2000 that has had loads of PM done before i purchased it, even the heater hose "Ts" but I smell coolant burning off and can't see anything from the top. Going under in a few days to inspect underneath.

Nope. It hasnt leaked a drop in a month now. Must have spilled some coolant somewhere when i was working on it. Thats all I can think of.

Did you figure it out?

I have a 2000 that has had loads of PM done before i purchased it, even the heater hose "Ts" but I smell coolant burning off and can't see anything from the top. Going under in a few days to inspect underneath.

I had my timing belt and water pump done in March by Lexus, ever since I smell coolant. I've looked everywhere and neither Lexus or myself can find a leak. I really notice it when I go into the garage after the door has been closed for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom