Compatibility v. Availability 13 BT v. 14 BT or 15 BT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update

I thought that I'd post up to give you guys an update. I have a the local salvage guy looking for a 15B, haven't heard back yet and probably won't for another few weeks. Roscoe found one in oz but they haven't gotten back to me with a shipping number and I suspect that he was right that they'd be happy to sell it to me if I was local but really don't have any interest in getting into the whole shipping overseas stuff. I have been in contact with a DNA, a company that buys Toyota, Hino etc truck engines in bulk, has them reconditioned in Japan and ships them all over the world. DNA Diesel Truck Parts Pty Ltd - HOME PAGE
By way of example Jeff, the director of the company, told me that if I wanted he had 2 14Bs left out of an original shipment of 60. His price was competitive with what my local guy offered but this company's engines come with testing numbers and warranties. He understands the application that the engine is to be used for and and says that he has worked with other off road teams and clubs before and is very willing to do so with us. At present he does not have any 15Bs but he has already asked his agent in Japan to see what the minimum order would be that he could get ( right now he thinks 5 will be the minimum order that he can get from Japan). He is headed to Japan in a few weeks and intends to press to get a shipment of 15BTs as I was not the first in the last few months to inquire. He has been very prompt in his correspondence and pledges to notify me either way regarding availability and price. I'll post up the information here. For those of you who are seriously considering this engine get your thinking caps on, crunch a few numbers and see if around late October early November( Jeff's estimate) grabbing one of these up is a realistic possibility. :cheers:

Last edited:
Excellant work.;) Time for some to put their money where their mouth is:D

One more thing, Snail is BU420 a Dyna or a Coaster bus?

I'm thinking the same thing so get in line, it starts right behind me.:grinpimp:
Guys thanks again for the help.

This is a good place to get an idea of what the dyna and coasters look like.
Dynas are U and Coasters are B,The 1st letter hints at the engine type ,B,H etc

TOYOTA TRUCK PARTS

I already asked them about shipping and they are not keen

to be blunty honest, i would feel the 1HZ or the HDT is a more practicle swap for you but it is your project and your baby. (i do know the HZJTI 40 is a blast to drive and the fuel economy is right up there)
another side point, the 1HZ,HDT will have a supply of parts for at least another 20 years.
curious, when did the last 15BTE roll out the door?

The problem for North Americans is ,that the 1HZ and 1HD T are not exactly falling out of the sky and the newer and bigger B diesel varients are a better swap than the Cummins and other NA truck engines IMO.

I think the 14B ,15B would be best into a 40/45 for offroad or someone who doesnt necesarily want the highway smoothness of a 6cyl.

Im sure that as Snailtrail and Jabxyz work through their swaps ,they will accumalate much knowledge that will be useful.
Just like the guys with the Isuzu diesel have done;)

I think the 14B ,15B would be best into a 40/45 for offroad or someone who doesnt necesarily want the highway smoothness of a 6cyl.

Roscoe, I would think that the 15B turboed and intercooled (yes there may have to be some re-organization of the factory intercooler plumbing under the hood) would be pretty smooth on the highway? It might not win a Formula 1 race:grinpimp: but it should do highway speeds comfortably at least the same as the Coaster buses do. Also If I can get my hands on the H55f locally it should definitely ride pretty comfortably on the highway, again not leading the charge but just flowing along with the rest of the traffic, don't you think?:cheers:

Funny that you mentioned this. Jeff was familiar with Landcruisers (he's aussie so of course:doh:) He indicated that his company has been working with local 4x4 clubs in oz supplying them with 4BDIT Isuzu diesel engines. According to Jeff back when the Aussie army was running cruisers they ran that engine and when they surplussed the vehicles the Isuzu engines became popular with the cruiser public. He says that these engines are getting harder and more expensive to source. Apparently the Chinese are buying up all of the old engines and car parts that they can find, at inflated prices, to use as scrap metal to feed their industrial expansion. :censor:

Funny that you mentioned this. Jeff was familiar with Landcruisers (he's aussie so of course:doh:) He indicated that his company has been working with local 4x4 clubs in oz supplying them with 4BDIT Isuzu diesel engines. According to Jeff back when the Aussie army was running cruisers they ran that engine and when they surplussed the vehicles the Isuzu engines became popular with the cruiser public. He says that these engines are getting harder and more expensive to source. Apparently the Chinese are buying up all of the old engines and car parts that they can find, at inflated prices, to use as scrap metal to feed their industrial expansion. :censor:

I think Jeff maybe confusing the landcruiser with the Isuzu powered Landrover sold to the army and public back in the mid 80s in Oz.
Landrover Aust no longer sell them but the Aust army have a factory where they convert the Defenders to Isuzu power,as well as strengthen the chassis,do a suspension lift and fit stronger rear diff and axles.
owners forum http://www.aulro.com/afvb/isuzu-landy-enthusiasts-section/

The cruisers they had in the 80s only numbered 214 and were all HJ45 with 2H
Now the aussie army has about 2-3000 mainly troopies and are used for peace keeping in the Solomons ,E Timor,and a few other south pacific hotspots

Last edited:
I think Jeff maybe confusing the landcruiser with the Isuzu powered Landrover sold to the army and public back in the mid 80s in Oz.
Landrover Aust no longer sell them but the Aust army have a factory where they convert the Defenders to Isuzu power,as well as strengthen the chassis,do a suspension lift and fit stronger rear diff and axles.
owners forum The Isuzu Landy Enthusiasts Section - Australian Land Rover Owners

The cruisers they had in the 80s only numbered 214 and were all HJ45 with 2H
Now the aussie army has about 2-3000 mainly troopies and are used for peace keeping in the Solomons ,E Timor,and a few other south pacific hotspots

Understood. At least he is working with car enthusiasts and is willing to continue to do so.

the acumulated knowledge will be a benefit to the LC community...there is no doubt about it.

in the end it doesn't matter what is under the hood, it is the gearing that makes or breaks a vehicle from decent highway manors. with the larger engine then maybe the 3.70 gearing will become popular again (damn, i knew i should have held on to the collection of 3.7 i had in Calgary...ooops)

i have to agree, finding a decent 1HZ that isn't an ex-mine engine is HARD

of course those with deep pockets could buy brand new crate engine...that isn't me.
The problem for North Americans is ,that the 1HZ and 1HD T are not exactly falling out of the sky and the newer and bigger B diesel varients are a better swap than the Cummins and other NA truck engines IMO.

Im sure that as Snailtrail and Jabxyz work through their swaps ,they will accumalate much knowledge that will be useful.

Roscoe, I would think that the 15B turboed and intercooled (yes there may have to be some re-organization of the factory intercooler plumbing under the hood) would be pretty smooth on the highway? It might not win a Formula 1 race:grinpimp: but it should do highway speeds comfortably at least the same as the Coaster buses do. Also If I can get my hands on the H55f locally it should definitely ride pretty comfortably on the highway, again not leading the charge but just flowing along with the rest of the traffic, don't you think?:cheers:

Damn ,Ive forgotten what you are trying to stuff it into:confused: BJ40:D

I think it will be fine on the highway without atually riding in one .
This engine is in the Dyna,Coaster,Hino,Megacruiser ,maybe even the Daihatsu Delta.
Thats an impressive line up.
However ,it will always be closer to a tractor engine ,than the car like turbo 6 cyl.
The 6 cyl diesel were for people who like driving gassers:D
I think the fuel economy will be good and offroad it will idle over anything.
In city traffic it will pull away like a loco.

I drive the 5 sp as 3 sp.
I ignore 1st and dont get into 5th unless on the freeway.The torque in the 15B should be able to do that also.

G'day John,

Not sure if anyone has posted this site up yet, but it has some good information on 13BT swaps. I have a line on a 14 Bt, and I am thinking pretty seriously about doing the swap to my 84 FJ40 LX. If I do, I will keep you posted.

G&S Cruiser Parts

Cheers,

Josh

Last edited:
G'day John,

Not sure if anyone has posted this site up yet, but it has some good information on 13BT swaps. I have a line on a 14 Bt, and I am thinking pretty seriously about doing the swap to my 84 FJ40 LX. If I do, I will keep you posted.

G&S Cruiser Parts

Cheers,

Josh

Josh,
I don't think that anyone has posted the site up on this thread, so thanks. I have been to the site before but not to that section. It looks like they have done a lot of 13BT swaps. Have you spoken with them about any additional considerations between swapping a 14BT into an 84 40? Please keep me posted as the 14B is where I'll go if I can't get my hands on a 15B sometime in the next 6 months or so.
John

G'day John,

I will keep you osted, but I think that is the way I am leaning. I have just bid on an HJ61 with a blown tanny on Ebay (this is the one with a 12HT). If I get that, than it will be a 12HT going under the bonnet:) Does anyone know if the flywheel from a 2F will bolt to a 12HT? The HJ61 is an auto. Roscoe?

I've not rung the guys, but I will when I get closer to doing the deed. The place in Qld has 2 14BTs, and said they are pretty easy for him to come by.

This is Patches84, by the way. I checked this address on a whim, and no one had it. How could I resist that?! I will be slowly converting all of my stuff to here and closing Patches84.

Cheers,

Josh

G'day John,

I will keep you osted, but I think that is the way I am leaning. I have just bid on an HJ61 with a blown tanny on Ebay (this is the one with a 12HT). If I get that, than it will be a 12HT going under the bonnet:) Does anyone know if the flywheel from a 2F will bolt to a 12HT? The HJ61 is an auto. Roscoe?

I've not rung the guys, but I will when I get closer to doing the deed. The place in Qld has 2 14BTs, and said they are pretty easy for him to come by.

This is Patches84, by the way. I checked this address on a whim, and no one had it. How could I resist that?! I will be slowly converting all of my stuff to here and closing Patches84.

Cheers,

Josh

Josh,
Thanks please keep me posted. BTW how could anyone ever mistake that cool rig of your in the avatar:cool:

Flattery will get you everywhere John. I'll know about the 12Ht tonight- I'm still the high bidder.

Cheers,

Josh

G'day John,

I dont know but I doubt it. Im guessing a 2H flywheel would work and they are probably easier to get than a 12HT flywheel.

Roscoe,

That's what I was thinking, thanks. I'll do a bit more research if I get this HJ61- which means I have yet-another bloody car to transport to Adelaide... My wife is gonna kill me:)

Cheers,

Josh

Reviving an old thread , but a good thread , thinking along similar lines now .I remember playn around with 13bt & 14bt , i remember posting a thread about it on here ( i didnt finish the thread coz i suddenly left chch ,nz then & sold everything)emembr buyn both engines , was goung to use the 14b crank & stroke the 13bt , until i realised the 14bt was a far superior engine in every way , i had a 4bt cummins a few years previously, similar size engines in comparison.

Off memory , the 15bft is alot more expensice than the 14bt & power wise not that bigger difference. The 14bt has a similar build strength as the cummins if not better , 14bt has forged steel crank & rods , cross bolted mains , dry sleeves ,roller cam & lifters & roller rockers, block is very strong & heavy ,vacuum & powersteer pump are gear driven. I thinks its the most ideal toyota diesel engine to hotrod for performance. In fact when i buy a 82-84 BJ42 , I am likely to buy a 14bt rebuilder core( alot more builders around) & fully blueprint rir for perfomance & reliability . Saw anothr blog where a guy gets 28miles to the gallon off one in a cruiser .

Last edited:
15B-T in a 2 door '75 RRC

I'm not sure if there's still any interest in the 14B and 15B. I owned both engines and they were originally NA but I turbo'ed them. Had the BJ40 first where I did the swap and then sold it to make way for the RRC.

The engine will bolt onto the H41 but you need to grind (~5mm) the inside of the bellhousing to clear the bigger 14B/15B clutch cover.

In the RRC, I bolted the 15B onto an A440F. No grinding is needed in this setup.
I used both rigs for the yearly Borneo Safari.

I'll look up for more pics of the BJ40 with the 14B-T engine. I took the last pic in 2009 where I sold it several months after the event. I just couldn't resist the offer...

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

DSC_3664.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom