Compatibility v. Availability 13 BT v. 14 BT or 15 BT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Isnt that what the owner of the FJ70 in Bolivia did with his 14B? I think he had to grind the webbing off on the inside to fit the bigger 14B clutch

:doh: I jumped the gun a bit there. What i should've said was its 'easier' if you use the 70 series alloy bellhousing. The earlier cast iron bellhousing can be used, but as Rosco points out, the webbing/ribs inside the housing will need to be ground down for clearance.

I think the 3F to 14BT swap write up mentions this.

Isnt that what the owner of the FJ70 in Bolivia did with his 14B? I think he had to grind the webbing off on the inside to fit the bigger 14B clutch

:doh: I jumped the gun a bit there. What i should've said was its 'easier' if you use the 70 series alloy bellhousing. The earlier cast iron bellhousing can be used, but as Rosco points out, the webbing/ribs inside the housing will need to be ground down for clearance.

I think the 3F to 14BT swap write up mentions this.

I'm gonna have to re-read that write-up if I end up with the 14BT
Oh BTW, the EPC that I downloaded from the yankeetoy site froze my computer. I had to ditch it. That notwithstanding when it worked there was no problem finding part numbers for engine parts but not for the engines themselves, same for trannys.

Spoke to the salvage guy today. He said that he doesn't have a 15B-FTE here in the country. He said that he checked and that the Coaster busses in El Salvador run the 1HZ engine not the 15B. He felt pretty sure that he could get one but when . They are packing his container now in Japan and he was calling his agent there to see if they could get a 15B in on this shipment. I told him even if he can't I want him to give me a price for one. Assuming that I miss this boat the next container is scheduled to be packed in September to be dockside in El Salvador in October. If I have to wait until then I told him to grab an H55f for me as well.

hi there ..
sorry guys .. there was a broadband issue @ problem in my area for the last two weeks ..
ok .. my friends rigs ..
the Bj75 (sorry not hzj75) .. his 75 is only for recovery for competition held in my area .. he said 75 is not for compete .. he have 15B turboed by CT26, PTO winch, rancho rs5000, OME springs, locally made 42mm wastegate, radio and black racaro seats, cibie lights, thule racks and others that are not so important. :grinpimp:
he used to have 12HT if i'm not mistaken .. he said 6 cylinder powerful but it is too heavy ..

the BJ43 is one of the competitor in borneo international 4x4 challenge .. and before i forget, there are many of the 40s, BJ74, 78, use the 80s frame and suspension .. i dont know how they do it but yes .. they actually using it ..
he use the 15B turboed by garret ( i forgot to ask which model ) intercooled .. stainless steel custom made snorkel .. stainless steel .. PTO winch .. cibie lights .. and many more ..

1 more .. my friend here who is loging in as PIAA is one of the best rigs here in my area .. he use 14BT in his rigs + PTO and electric winch .. and he also one of the competitor and his father is also the sponsor for the borneo international 4x4 challenge .. try ask him .. sure he know more ..

next time .. i'll try to upload their rigs pictures .. i rarely meet them .. the 75 owner is a contractor .. the 43 is a boss and also driver for his company's lorries .. i'm a teacher .. but our interest here are the same .. 4 wheeling :steer: and hunting :ban:..

hi there ..
sorry guys .. there was a broadband issue @ problem in my area for the last two weeks ..
ok .. my friends rigs ..
the Bj75 (sorry not hzj75) .. his 75 is only for recovery for competition held in my area .. he said 75 is not for compete .. he have 15B turboed by CT26, PTO winch, rancho rs5000, OME springs, locally made 42mm wastegate, radio and black racaro seats, cibie lights, thule racks and others that are not so important. :grinpimp:
he used to have 12HT if i'm not mistaken .. he said 6 cylinder powerful but it is too heavy ..

the BJ43 is one of the competitor in borneo international 4x4 challenge .. and before i forget, there are many of the 40s, BJ74, 78, use the 80s frame and suspension .. i dont know how they do it but yes .. they actually using it ..
he use the 15B turboed by garret ( i forgot to ask which model ) intercooled .. stainless steel custom made snorkel .. stainless steel .. PTO winch .. cibie lights .. and many more ..

1 more .. my friend here who is loging in as PIAA is one of the best rigs here in my area .. he use 14BT in his rigs + PTO and electric winch .. and he also one of the competitor and his father is also the sponsor for the borneo international 4x4 challenge .. try ask him .. sure he know more ..

next time .. i'll try to upload their rigs pictures .. i rarely meet them .. the 75 owner is a contractor .. the 43 is a boss and also driver for his company's lorries .. i'm a teacher .. but our interest here are the same .. 4 wheeling :steer: and hunting :ban:..

You guys have some really interesting landcruisers up there. Pics would be great;)

hi there ..
ok .. my friends rigs ..

This just makes it certain for me that this is the engine that I want. I'll maintain the old original B engine until I can get the 15b. If it gets more than six months and no hope after six months then I'll grab the 14B and turbo and intercool it. It has a smaller bore, less ponies but still a helluva engine. Thanks.

That's about the price of a old, nasty used 2H from suppliers here. Did the guy indicate what the price will be for the 15B-FTE ?

Rick

Rick,
I just got back into country from a trip and checked in with the salvage guy. He said that I missed the container that is headed to the docks in Japan now. He said that I would have to wait approx a month for that container to arrive before they would begin taking orders to fill the next one. So I will probably able to place the order in September and get something here in country by end of October. As to your price question, the guy mentioned that he had a 14B if I was interested for approx 3500.00 I could probably get that down to 3K. I asked him to ball park me the 15B-FTE, he initially mentioned 4500.00 I asked if he mated it with the H55f how much off. He was willing to work with me for around 4K. He said that it always works out cheaper for the client if you get all of your pieces in the same container and the shop likes it because they have an easier shipment, everything in the box goes just to a couple of guys, as such they are willing to work on price. I'm still trying to find anywhere else selling this engine so that I can have a little more leverage in negotiating a better price for the set. I left a message with CDan a couple of weeks ago, no response and PMd and sent emails to Dave Steadman at Japan 4x4 but haven't heard anything from him in about 10 days. :bang: Hopefully I here from those guys soon. Given the timeline if Dave gets back to me and can get me what I want for a reasonable price I'll go with him. Any other ideas on where I can source the 15B-FTE?:hmm:

I left a message with CDan a couple of weeks ago, no response

Someone mentioned on chat he is away for a few weeks

Any other ideas on where I can source the 15B-FTE?:hmm:

Cowra truck wreckers, NSW, list a 15B for sale. The 15B will be easier to find and then add your own turbo.
Cowra Truck Wreckers

Cowra truck wreckers, NSW, list a 15B for sale. The 15B will be easier to find and then add your own turbo.
Cowra Truck Wreckers

Roscoe,
Thanks man. As usual you da man:grinpimp: I'll give the Cowra guys a call. I see that they also have a "B" engine for sale. I presently have the original B engine and I've always been curious about how much it would fetch on the market, I'll let you know what they say. I was looking at turbos on Ebay last night just in case I could only find the 15B. Do you or anyone know where I could source the intercooler to complete the package if I needed to go this way?

Turbo Glide sell a turbo kit fot the 15B and AXT sell an intercooler for a 3B. I dont see why you couldnt use a 3B intercooler on a 3B.
I dont know if the factory intercooler would fit into a Landcruiser as the Dyna engine bay is shaped different.

Turbo Glide sell a turbo kit fot the 15B and AXT sell an intercooler for a 3B. I dont see why you couldnt use a 3B intercooler on a 3B.
I dont know if the factory intercooler would fit into a Landcruiser as the Dyna engine bay is shaped different.

True. The 15B-FTE came factory with the intercooler in the Megacruiser. I wonder does anyone have the engine bay size for the mega v. a 40. I would assume that the space under the hood of the Mega would be enormous and more square shaped.
Assuming that the factory intercooler wont fit you think that the intercooler for the 3B might work on the 15BT? interesting:hmm: I wonder would anything else fit as well. Frankly I have to confess the thought that the intercooler wouldn't fit never occurred to me. I was so focussed on the engine mounts and its ability to mate with the H55f.:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Last edited:
True. The 15B-FTE came factory with the intercooler in the Megacruiser. I wonder does anyone have the engine bay size for the mega v. a 40. I would assume that the space under the hood of the Mega would be enormous and more square shaped.
Assuming that the factory intercooler wont fit you think that the intercooler for the 3B might work on the 15BT? interesting:hmm: I wonder would anything else fit as well. Frankly I have to confess the thought that the intercooler wouldn't fit never occurred to me. I was so focussed on the engine mounts and its ability to mate with the H55f.:hmm::hmm::hmm:

The chances of finding a megacruiser intercooler is almost non existant I would think.
The 3B intercooler would be ok.
Someone is making an intercooler especially for the 1HD FTE in the 78/79 series incorporating a custom grill that allows the intercooler to sit in front of the radiator. Maybe that could used with the 15B but the kit is about $2500

Flicking through the EPC its looks as though neither the 15B-FT or FTE ever came fitted to a chassis without an intercooler.

As Rosco points out, the chances of finding a Megacruiser intercooler would be next to none. If you were thinking about purchasing it new, sure, thats an option. But for the $$$ you would more than likely get a more efficent custom made one that actually fits your chassis without major mods.

Just out of interest heres a few pictures of a new FTE exhaust manifold. When the manifold is bolted to the engine the small hole (which is for the EGR pipe) is towards the rear, facing down.
P1000164.JPG
P1000165.JPG
P1000166.JPG

Heres a few more of the FTE fitted in the Dyna truck as well.
P1000167.JPG
P1030421.JPG
P1030422.JPG

Turbo oil feed from the oil filter housing, and couple of the EGR pipe wraping around the back of the block to the valve in the inlet manifold.
P1030430.JPG
P1030433.JPG
P1030436.JPG

Close up of the injector pipe fitting into the side of head - the same setup as the 1HD-FT(E).

And the chassis it was fitted to.
P1030437.JPG
P1030438.JPG
P1030440.JPG

<to play Devil's advocate, after all nothing is learned if no one takes the opposing side>
my experience with the elec controlled diesel Toyota engines is this:
starting is not easier than the non-elec... as long as the glow system is working properly and the compression is up then they both start the same.
MORE smoke. for some reason, every elec controlled Tyoyota diesel i have driven has smoked more than the same version that was not elec controlled.
fuel economy the same or even a touch worse. why? not sure.

granted i have limited experience with the TE versions but this is my experience and felt i should share a different view on the topic.

the KISS prinicple should be kept in mind when doing a swap.

the reason a HDT can move a 100 series to 180 k/h is due to the higher reving engine, 4700 rpm red line compared to the B series which has a 4200 red line. horse power and torque will move a vehicle quicker but the top end will be the same given the same red line, O/D and final diff ratio.
so if you have a 1980 Bj40, diff gears are 4.11, you have the H41 (swapping to a H55F) and the redline for the 15BTE and the B are the same at 4200 rpm... so... your cruising RPM will be the same, your fuel economy will actually drop due to the larger bore and stroke (hard to beat the old "B" for fuel economy) but you will be able to get to cruising speed quicker, you will be able to tow easier.

and that old "B" when in proper running condition was a clean burning unit... the soot out the back is directly related to compression, fuel setting, air flow and your right foot. problem with the old diesels was you had to over fuel to get the performance that most of us wanted which lead to black smoke on acceleration or towing.

am i against the 15B-TE? nope, i think this would be a cool swap but be realistic on what you are expecting in the end.

also, the rarer the engine (14B, 15B, 15BT, 15BTE) the harder it will be to find parts if you need them. even the old B,2B,3B,13BT are getting harder and harder to find parts for.

to be blunty honest, i would feel the 1HZ or the HDT is a more practicle swap for you but it is your project and your baby. (i do know the HZJTI 40 is a blast to drive and the fuel economy is right up there)
another side point, the 1HZ,HDT will have a supply of parts for at least another 20 years.
curious, when did the last 15BTE roll out the door?

The chances of finding a megacruiser intercooler is almost non existant I would think.
The 3B intercooler would be ok.
Someone is making an intercooler especially for the 1HD FTE in the 78/79 series incorporating a custom grill that allows the intercooler to sit in front of the radiator. Maybe that could used with the 15B but the kit is about $2500

Roscoe,
My bad, I was not looking for a mega cruiser intercooler just trying to get a better sense of the dimensions and what would or wouldn't fit under my hood. You are right I have seen some off the shelf ones designed to fit other vehicles that go for anywhere between $100-400USD.

Flicking through the EPC its looks as though neither the 15B-FT or FTE ever came fitted to a chassis without an intercooler.

As Rosco points out, the chances of finding a Megacruiser intercooler would be next to none. If you were thinking about purchasing it new, sure, thats an option. But for the $$$ you would more than likely get a more efficent custom made one that actually fits your chassis without major mods.
Snailtrail,
Again you and Roscoe on on your games. I hadn't thought of a custom intercooler before, given that I just began to think that the factory one might not fit. Plus I have seen some custom jobs get really pricey. You always pop up with the best pics, you wouldn't happen to have some of the 15B-FTE factory intercooler would you and it's placement on the engine? I guess the basic question is where is the factory 15FTE intercooler mounted. In the front, slung under the radiator like in hot rods, BMW's Audis, etc or on top of the engine, nearer the turbo, like on some Hummers I've seen? Kinda hoping on top as It's gonna get crowded up front with the rad and the a/c condenser there already.:hmm: One more thing, Snail is BU420 a Dyna or a Coaster bus?

Snail, If you can get that close to a 15bfte... just grabbit n send it to me pls.. the cheque's in the mail.. ;);)

I'm thinking the same thing so get in line, it starts right behind me.:grinpimp:
Guys thanks again for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom