coils springs on a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
Threads
I'm getting ramped up for my big coil conversion this spring. I'm not liking the ride or flex from 4" lift leafs.
Has anybody used 80 control arms in the front of a 40? I was going to fab up radius type arms, but 80 arms look to be the right length and style.

I spent some time this weekend out of the unheated garage and at the computer doing up some 3d mock-ups and they seem to work in virtual reality.

I posted some jpegs at my photo site
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tballard2000/lst?.dir=/My+Photo+Album/CAD+and+Inventor+pics&.view=t

Todd
I've an 80 and the way you drew it, with the radius arm cradling the axle tube from the bottom only works in stock height. For big droop, or for articulation with say >35" tires I'd think you should bend tube and go around the top of the axle housing. I'd try 3" tube with an over/under siamese tube gusset, with a heim joint on the end and a big radius wrapping around the top and front of the front housing. I saw what I'm talking about on a big 80, though it wasn't gusseted as I describe and it worked for freeway speeds, but barely :D. Did you intend to trailer the finished product?

Actually, I'm not looking for big droop or insane articulation. I live in Illinios. I don't think we have a 12" terrain difference across the whole state. ;) I'd like the ride and articulation I get with the 80, although, with the wheelbase difference, I'm sure the ride will never be the same. In fact, I thought of using my old 80 springs. If I wanted a trailer rig, I think I would go with a wristed arm, probably above the axle as you suggested and Astro springs.

In the rear, I don't think 80 control arms are going to work. Too short and too much of a difference between tops and bottoms. That'll be easy enough to 5 link. Again, I'm not looking for a double opposed triangle thing that'll let my axle be perpendicular to the frame.

did you just throw together that 3d pic? :eek:

Brian,
I'd love those mini pics! That'd be great. I can never have to much info.

Mr. McGee,
I sure wouldn't say I'm to the throw together stage yet. I built the tub and fenders in about 3 hours on Saturday and put them with a frame and grill I did a couple of weeks ago. The axles, tires, diffs and suspension were pretty easy. It's all Inventor. I teach 14-15 year olds to do that stuff in a few weeks.

Good pics on that one too. I wonder how the radius arms on top worked out. I guess I'll have to e-mail the guy and find out. The question I have with top mounted ones is if it's a good idea, how come Toyota, MB and LR all mount them on the bottom?

Everything is from the 80 series - I purchased a whole front frame section, it had everything required. The perches and shock towers are available from Toyota, but they are not exactly cheap. It is all VERY beefy stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom