Coil "Smoking" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before I go to a new dizzy, I have a question please. I have 1974 FJ40, i noticed the coil was "smoking" slightly when the ignition switch was on for a few seconds without engaging the starter. But once the engine started all was ok with no "smoking". i replaced the coil and ballast resistor but still have the same problem with the "smoking" . I am not trying to start the engine till this is resolved. Is this "normal" or what could be the cause if not?

Thanks _ Jerry

Is this with my distributor or the stock distributor? Is it immediate after the vehicle is switched on? Where is the smoke coming from?

Any smoke coming from any component is not normal. Do you have any pics of the setup?

It is stock distributor. It happens a few seconds after the switch is turned on but before the engine is cranked, the smoke stops once cranked, appears to be from coil but cud be ballast resistor, hard to tell. I replaced the coil and resistor but same occurred and now is hard to start. I have ordered new points and condenser, I will take pics on Wednesday when they arrive and I install. Thanks for your reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom