Clunking from front end after SAS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I seem to be getting a loud clunk that feels like its on the pass. side when going around turns at low speed, especially when there is a bump as well. No noise at high speed. Seems to happen when the body rolls a bit. I have an 89 4Runner, with a trail gear kit. (4inch front, 5inch rear springs) I took off the front driveshaft thinking it was hitting b/c the double cardan binds, but its still clunking. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy

Hmm, havent tried that yet... of course, they are unlocked now. But if I lock them and it stops, what could that be an indicator of? I will try that and let you know something. Thanks again.

This might be silly but could it be the setup settling after a fresh install?

Ok, so I had the drivers side locked...:eek: Oops! But I tried with them locked and unlocked just now and it still makes the same noise. I can feel the clunk though the floor! I can't understand what it could be...

The axle was rebuilt for driveability, and I just re-checked the bearings the other day, but the factory 4.10's were left alone b/c I don't have the money to do them right now. I'm waiting on the front springs to settle a bit more. The kit says to move the front spring hanger 3/4 of an inch further forward for the V6 models. The front shackle angle kinda sucks, it is only slightly tilted back. I swear it sounds like its on the passenger side but its so hard to tell. I will look over all the welds again tomorrow when I have some light, I have glanced at all of them before and the seemed alright. I've crawled under there and tugged on everything! Thanks for all the replies!

Its your shock hoops rubbing/hitting the wheel wells when things flex a little.

Look to see if they are touching sheetmetal. It can sound HORRIBLE.

Also make sure the shock is not hitting the lower shockmount or ubolt plate.

Its your shock hoops rubbing/hitting the wheel wells when things flex a little..

Oh great...end thread then i guess

Also make sure the shock is not hitting the lower shockmount or ubolt plate

oh...nevermind

My springs made alot of noise when new as they moved on each other, partially due to the high ride height causing lots of body roll. Make sure the shackle and hanger bolts arent too tight.

Yeah I got up under there and greased everything up as far as the shackles go and such. I re-torqued the u-bolts to the specified 90-ft lbs and they moved quite a bit. Didn't make a bit of difference. I also looked at the shock hoops. I just hope it isn't hurting anything, I don't think it is. What would you recommend I torque the shackles?
Thanks for replies!

i have this exact same problem! once again sounds like it is coming from passanger side. i cant figure it out either.

Yes I have tried rocking it several times....No dice...:crybaby:

With the axles unlocked jack up the front end and turn each wheel independantly. Look at the pinion and see if it turns. If it does while the wheels are being turned, then I would guess the lock outs are not unlocking. And you could have an axle problem, maybe the spiders are damaged in the diff or the lockouts them may be skipping on the splines.

If you have high steer then its the tie rods flipping over when you turn corners. Its normal.

I cant see that making a noticable noise...let alone an alarming one.

I tighten my shackles until they are just snug against the bushing. I dont tighten enough to squeeze the bushing or buldge the collar.

Its hard to diagnose this without hearing it. Ive had almost every problem imaginable in the 6 years ive been wheeling and driving my sas'd 4runner (50,000 miles) from noisy springs, to several blown axles, 3 blown r&p's, millions of blown trunions, 2 bent housings, 3 blown shocks, 5 blown tre's, 1 bent tie rods, 2 blown boxes, 1 worn boxes, countless loose bearings, loose lugs, many death wobbles, shimmys, shakes, many blown centering pins, many loose u-bolts, shackle bolts falling out, ram brackets breaking, tweaked the frame so the shock hoop hit the inner fender on bumps, and much more (That was a fun and sad list to make :D )

So I can usually diagnose this crap from the drivers seat. Any other details?

I've had two SAS trucks and several friends with them as well. EVERY one of them do this under about 20 mph when cornering. My first one I flipped out over the sound so I put it on the rack to check everything out and noticed the TRE's flipping when it was turned. I put a small piece of rubber under the TRE's and duck taped it on. The noise stopped completely till it wore out. This one I just learned to ignore it. Its a noticeable noise and I can feel mine through the floor too...

4RNR---Doesn't the FSM call for the shackles to be torqued to high 60 something ft-lbs? Your saying don't do this?

4RNR---Doesn't the FSM call for the shackles to be torqued to high 60 something ft-lbs? Your saying don't do this?

Im not sure... maybe they should be, but if I put that much into them id destroy the bushing collars. The factory specs dont really account for the kind of wheel travel we get. but when I first did the swap I put alot of torque into them and the bushing collars were gone in no time. Where I torque them now seems to work for me.

well i would either have some one walk and watch beside the truck, or have some one drive the truck while i watched and looked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom