CLC San Juan Mountains Trip 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
kyle-landcruiser.blogspot.com
What: Colorado Landcruiser's San Juan Trip

When: August 25-29

Meeting Point: CO 115/US HWY 50 in Penrose. Aug 25 at 9:00 AM so we can convoy down

Camping: Golden Horn Dispersed Camping area South Mineral Creek (north of Silverton, its free and has a pit toilet)

Trails: Aug 25: Travel to Silverton, Clear Lake Trail
Aug 26: Alpine Look (Engineer and Cinnamon Passes)
Aug 27: Minnie, Maggie, Picayne, Placer, California, Corkscrew
Aug 28: Black Bear or Ophir, Imogene, Yankee Boy, Governor, Sydney
Aug 29: head home
This is a rough idea of trails we can do. We can add, change...
See traildamage.com for trail descriptions

Who is going: Kyle, Greg, Tracy (and Percy), Ron

Last edited:
So, I have the time off officially, so its time to start planning. This trip will take place Aug 25-29. Come for all of the time, or come for a part. If you have any trails you want to do, start posting up. Camping will be outside Silverton. Hope we can get a good group this year...
Hoping I can make it for one of the weekends if you are planning it that way.

So its time to start getting this thing ironed out. Who's coming besides Greg, myself and possibly Doug? Also, what trails do people want to do? Alpine Loop, Black Bear/Imogene and Ophir, California-Corkscrew, Picayne-Placer, etc. Camping will be at Golden Horn dispersed camping area down South Mineral Creek north of Silverton. Its free and has a pit toilet. August 25-29 are the dates. I plan on leaving the morning of the 25th to head down. At this time I'm planning on taking the FJ40, and really wouldn't mind a convoy if at all possible. So start posting up!

We'll still be there! I'd be happy to convoy out there if you want to meet in Penrose the morning of the 25th. We just need to take our son to school at 7:50 then we'll be free. (Cant miss the first day of Kindergarten!) Id like to hit anything we can get over. Definitely Blackbear. My wife and I are planning on spending the last night the 28th in Ouray and hitting up the hotsprings if anyone would like to join us

Count me in, with Percy. Kids will be back in school so looks like only myself and dog.

Not looking to promising for me to make it unless I come out Friday and return Monday but even that is a bit doubtful. Will keep you posted.

Bump: I hate to tell you this, but I have to cancel my plans for the San Juan trip--Lisa is traveling out of town so I have to be the adult in the house.

Bit of snow down in the San Juans the past couple days
CqmGBuXVUAA-_Sg.jpg

If anybody else plans on joining Greg and I, post up. We'll meet in the morning at 9am at CO 115 and US50 in Penrose to head down. We'll be camped at Golden Horn dispersed camping down South Mineral Creek, just north of Silverton. Come on down, even if you can only make it for a couple of day!

Well, another San Juan trip is in the books, albeit a rather soggy one. Greg and his wife Melissa and I left Penrose Thursday morning and journeyed to Golden Horn Campground down South Mineral Creek north of Silverton. We arrived to rain, but Greg liked the camping spot. We setup camp, fixed some dinner, tried a fire and headed for the tents to get out of the rain. On Friday, we took off for Placer Gulch with a trip to the Sound Democrat Mine. We also explored Animas Forks and the Frisco Mill (which is for sale in case anybody is interested). We then headed up California Pass, and over to Corkscrew Gulch. Both trails are very scenic and worth the time. We made it back to camp, were able to get a fire going, and cook some dinner. We stayed up chatting, in hit and miss rain showers. Saturday, we headed up to Animas Forks once again, to run the Alpine Loop, Engineer and Cinnamon Passes. Both trails are fun, with modest challenges heading up and over. Again, it rained off an on most of the afternoon, and into the evening. Another fire was started, but rain sent us to bed early. On Sunday, we parted ways. I needed a break from the rough riding FJ40, and Greg and Melissa headed north to run Black Bear and Imogene along with a night of comfort in Ouray. I headed up Maggie Gulch to do some hiking. Its an interesting gulch, with a few mines, including an open tunnel and equipment. I wondered up the gulch and joined the continental divide trail for a bit. Rain forced me down, and I know Greg rain into some heavy rain up north too. I spent most of the evening in the Cruiser while it poured out. No fire, dinner in town and early to sleep. Monday, we both headed home.

Great pics, to bad about all the rain. Glad you had at least some blue sky

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom