Cigarette Lighter = Power Outlet? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm glad I bumped into this thread. I too have been frustrated with the key controlled power outlets. I have a fridge in the back on long trips and when I make short stops for food or gas, I leave the valet key in the ignition so I can keep the fridge running and lock doors with my regular key. Now I can do this mod and not have to leave a key in the ignition. My question is - I was told my ARB fridge is equipped with some type of sensor that shuts off when voltage is low so it doesn't drain the battery all the way. Has anyone had any experience with this and is the rear power outlet safe enough to power the fridge? So far no issues...
No experience with ARB's low voltage sensor, but I've used one or two sensors that connect directly to the battery.

The 3 power outlets are fused with a single 10A fuse. I would think the reefer would pull more than that by itself. Lots of threads here on installing heavier cable to the back end.

I would like to take this one step further and add some additional outlets for the center row seating to use.

Can anyone show me how the wiring connects to the ACC power outlet in the center console? If it is a basic spade connector, then perhaps I could get some of these connectors to create an additional male tab that I could splice off to the additional outlets for the center row:
LWA.jpg

I would like to add one of these:

powerwerx-panel-mount-dual-usb-socket-3a-device-charger-for-12v-systems_580.jpg

and one of these:

panel-mount-cigarette-lighter-socket-automotive-marine-grade_580.jpg

right on the back of the center console. There is a blank there just waiting to be used...

Thanks for any help. This has probably been written about, but I did not find.

I would like to take this one step further and add some additional outlets for the center row seating to use.

Can anyone show me how the wiring connects to the ACC power outlet in the center console? If it is a basic spade connector, then perhaps I could get some of these connectors to create an additional male tab that I could splice off to the additional outlets for the center row:
LWA.jpg

I would like to add one of these:

powerwerx-panel-mount-dual-usb-socket-3a-device-charger-for-12v-systems_580.jpg

and one of these:

panel-mount-cigarette-lighter-socket-automotive-marine-grade_580.jpg

right on the back of the center console. There is a blank there just waiting to be used...

Thanks for any help. This has probably been written about, but I did not find.

did you ever get to do this? I'm planning on doing the exact same thing this weekend. Drilling the blank and add a double USB and a power outlet. I'm planning to connect them to the power outlet inside the center console.

did you ever get to do this? I'm planning on doing the exact same thing this weekend. Drilling the blank and add a double USB and a power outlet. I'm planning to connect them to the power outlet inside the center console.

I did! I took my time cutting the plastic. I got some 90 degree spade connections because the clearance is tight in there!

Pictures?
Where did you get the power from? Did you have to remove the entire console ?

I did this as well, but wired it straight to the battery. Tucked the wire under the bottom edge of the console without removing anything. Used a hole saw to cut the blank.

Reopening an old thread but would like to get the four outlets I have onto my auxiliary battery. I have a 2003 LX470 with AHC.

Evidently, I have the hard to get to relay and having spent the last hour under the steering wheel, I realize there is no way I am going to get to the back side of fuse terminal holder.

So... My next thought is to find the wire downstream of the relay. Anybody else get to this point in the last 17 years? There must be a wire coming out of the powered side of the ACC relay that one could splice into. I want to run an always hot line from my aux battery to the outlets.

Reopening an old thread but would like to get the four outlets I have onto my auxiliary battery. I have a 2003 LX470 with AHC.

Evidently, I have the hard to get to relay and having spent the last hour under the steering wheel, I realize there is no way I am going to get to the back side of fuse terminal holder.

So... My next thought is to find the wire downstream of the relay. Anybody else get to this point in the last 17 years? There must be a wire coming out of the powered side of the ACC relay that one could splice into. I want to run an always hot line from my aux battery to the outlets.
What did you end up doing with this. I’m thinking I’m going to do the jumper mod so I have power to the fridge in back but not exactly where the relay is?

Not enough amps or wire gauge?.... Any idea what the best/easiest route is to run a wire to the back??

Not enough amps or wire gauge?.... Any idea what the best/easiest route is to run a wire to the back??
Wire gauge would be your issue. That wiring is not suitable for running at the amperage most fridges draw. As for routing the wire here are a few pics from when I ran my CB radio coax cable from the rear antenna mount up to the dash, but the routing would be nearly the same if I were to run a power cord back there.

This is looking back from the rear seats into the C pillar and where the subwoofer is normally located. I ran that black coax all the way out near my taillight. Take note of that blue wire down low

1602471871037.png

Pull up the trim in the rear jambs and gently lift up the edge of the carpet. You can actually see the same blue power wire which powers an aftermarket amp also in the rear of my truck. You would basically be doing the same thing just have it terminate into a fridge.

1602471890664.png

Route it through the B pillar between front & rear doors:

1602471908048.png

Pull up the trim at the drivers door jamb, gently lift up the carpet edge, and tuck it under there. There's actually two channels that run the entire length of the truck right in those jambs where existing wiring harnesses are already located. I usually just ziptie my additional wires to those harnesses.

1602471931095.png

From there just route it through the firewall grommet above and to the left of the brake pedal to the battery. Make sure you put an inline fuse as close to the battery as possible, or if you have a switched relay panel run it to one of those outputs

Wire gauge would be your issue. That wiring is not suitable for running at the amperage most fridges draw. As for routing the wire here are a few pics from when I ran my CB radio coax cable from the rear antenna mount up to the dash, but the routing would be nearly the same if I were to run a power cord back there.

This is looking back from the rear seats into the C pillar and where the subwoofer is normally located. I ran that black coax all the way out near my taillight. Take note of that blue wire down low

View attachment 2463024

Pull up the trim in the rear jambs and gently lift up the edge of the carpet. You can actually see the same blue power wire which powers an aftermarket amp also in the rear of my truck. You would basically be doing the same thing just have it terminate into a fridge.

View attachment 2463025

View attachment 2463026

Pull up the trim at the drivers door jamb, gently lift up the carpet edge, and tuck it under there. There's actually two channels that run the entire length of the truck right in those jambs where existing wiring harnesses are already located. I usually just ziptie my additional wires to those harnesses.

View attachment 2463027

From there just route it through the firewall grommet above and to the left of the brake pedal to the battery. Make sure you put an inline fuse as close to the battery as possible, or if you have a switched relay panel run it to one of those outputs

View attachment 2463024

View attachment 2463025

View attachment 2463026

View attachment 2463027

That is one heck of thorough write THANKS!... I’ll be running a direct line now 😬

Here's an alternative to the pulled relay and jumper wire - pick up a spare relay, carefully remove the cover, remove the relay 'guts', and solder a jumper wire across the pins. Replace cover and swap in this relay.

I got the relay (part # 90987 02006) on eBay for $6.45. I kept the original in case for some reason I revert back (sell the truck, have an issue, whatever). I also put a label on my altered relay to remind myself it's there.

With this I'm now able to plug a solar charger into the cig lighter - keeping the battery charged when I don't use it for a week or 2.

I don't know if anyone out there still has a 20+ year old LC/LX470 and hasn't done this yet, but thought I'd post just in case. No pics of the inside of the relay - sorry, thought I had some but can't locate.

20220312_174437.jpg

Reviving again. Does anyone with an 03 or newer have constant power to outlets? If so please share how to get to the back side of the fuse plate to get to the relay, or what other method worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom