Chevy power steering pump bracket questions.

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by marks69cruiser, Jan 26, 2010.

1. marks69cruiser

marks69cruiser

I am trying to figure out how to mount a power steering pump on a small block chevy. I have a couple of brackets and cant seem to figure out how they bolt up!? I will try to post up some pics... I am having trouble with my camera right now so if you have some pics of your PS bracket I would love to see them!! Thanks. Mark:cheers:
  2. Plowboy

Plowboy SILVER Star

What size sbc. Older 283/327 don't have bolt locations on the heads for the brackets. on 359's Short water pumps use a different bracket than the long.
  3. marks69cruiser

marks69cruiser

Got the camera figured out... here are the pics. It is a 283 Chevy. I will post more pics in a bit!:beer:
    020.jpg 022.jpg 024.jpg
  4. marks69cruiser

marks69cruiser

5. sepr2

sepr2

6. marks69cruiser

marks69cruiser

I have found several brackets onine. I was hoping someone would show me how the ones I have work... :confused: This is making me feel dumb!:bang:
  7. Plowboy

Plowboy SILVER Star

The bracket on ebay will work. It bolts to the threaded holes next to the crank. You have 350 heads on the block. I would take a look at your local junk yard for the bracket installation. Any 70 , 80, or 90 chev sbc bracket will work. The key will be the water pump, short nose or long. Bracket has to match the water pump length on your engine.
  8. justacruiser

justacruiser

either go to a junkyard and pull the pulleys and brackets off of a complete later 350 and get a long waterpump, or get a swp bracket.

Here:

Small Block Short Pump

Look at 'power steering', it's a heavier duty copy of the corvette pump mount. That bracket on Ebay is missing a piece I think, the top stud on the back of the ps pump wont have anything to attach to and it would just flop around I think. I think the bracket you have is for a later style chevy, not sure it will work on your setup.
  9. Downey

Downey SILVER Star

Last two post are spot-on. Pump mounting is relative to short or long water pump. Problem with this scenario is that everything must be a matching set (crank pulley, water pump pulley, all mounting brackets, the works). Long water pumps allow better/rigid mounting of all the equipment, and you could get a full matching set at a wrecking yard, but then you might have to remount your radiator????