Chevy Diesel Swaps 6.2 or 6.5 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

6.2's usually have many problems.6.5's are better,Fords are MUCH better;) .

fords are EVIL!!!

the 6.2 is a decent motor for what you would be using it for.
the 6.5 is a turbo and the "issues" it had were an easy fix. the PMD would get hot cause it sat on the lift pump and it would burn up then the truck would die. to fix relocate it (they make kits) and set it on a heat sync (also indluded in the kit or by its self) during heavy and hard towing the engines had issues with over heating and and possibly cracking heads and in extreme cases blocks. but again not really an issue for the aplication it would be being used in a cruiser.

Id say go with the 6.5 they make tons of aftermarket for it.
check out Dieselplace.com for more information. it is a chevy diesel forum.

Chevy 6.2 with gale banks kit, noting modded, 900, between the head and turbo.

Cummins 6BT much built and modded, 1200-1300 between head and turbo.

The 6.2 wouldn't really climb above that even when used hard. Banks says that 1000 is what you want to keep it below with stock pistons. The 5.9 would climb higher if pushed hard on a long steep grade with a load, but that was where we backed off to prevent damage.

Mark..

stock 3b can hit 1600 with out any mods. The right hill, well above sea level and wham your there.

I was surprised when I put on my pyro.

Was I stock.... debatable. There were no engine mods but the fuel max stop was adjusted for different altitudes. I had adjusted it due to it was reduced dramatically for Calgary(3400 feet).

EGT temperatures will differ depending upon where the pyrometer is at, pre turbo and after turbo. On my 6.5 I run it pre tubo and can consistently run it at 1100 degrees. I also have water mist injection and it will bring it down around 100 degrees. In reality the best thing for the 6.2 and 6.5 is an intercooler that is cooled by the fan. The PMD (pump mounted Driver) is a weak spot on the diesels. They are mounted next to the injection pump in the intake valley. basically they get fried with all of the extreme tempratures. I had Heath diesel make me a custom one which mounts to my frame rail half way back on the drivers side. FYI , I was looking at one of the chevy diesel forums last night and there was a complet running 4x4 sub 3/4 ton foor sale for 2K. That is really cheap.

BTW: Anybody got some pic's of the end result?

lc103.jpg

FL Cruiser,

How's your cruiser treating you now that you have done the swap and have been driving it for awhile?? I'm still interested in this swap, especially with the NV4500.

Is the 6.2 offset to the drivers side in the picture? How tight was the exhaust?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom