Cheap, universal catalytic converters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone replaced their OEM cats with the cheaper, universal cats on an 80 series Land Cruiser? I have a leaky cat and I'd rather not spend a truck load of money on expensive OEM parts. If I can get away with spending $50 a cat, great. If not, I'll bite the bullet.

Does anyone know if it would result in poor fuel economy, loss of power, failed emissions tests, ect ??

Thanks!

Andrew

Usually the only drawback is they simply don't last as long. OEM cat bricks are very very high quality.. Aftermarket tend to break down and clog the exhaust system over time. Even then, if they last you a few years and you get them replaced again, you are still way ahead of the costs of OEM catalysts.

See that Lil White Box in the Corner.
Try typing "Magnaflow" in there, but make sure your sitting down.

i have 2 years on my magna flow OEM 49 state replacement, they still look good!

I have run a. 3-way, very short cat for several years with good results. Check to see if your rig needs a visual inspection for emissions. John

I have run a. 3-way, very short cat for several years with good results. Check to see if your rig needs a visual inspection for emissions. John
John, I'm throwing the P0420 code. I have a brand-new Denso downstream 02 sensor. I want to AutoZone and was quoted nearly $600 for the front and back cats, OEM. They sell bosal and magnaglow. Direct fit including the white pipe, just plug and play, or should I say bolt and play.

Universals will require welding, however less than $250-$300.

As you know I daily drive my 80 series, and play on the weekends, but need a civilized and quiet machine for Monday through Friday duties.

I understand that you have gone the non-OEM route . Obviously you still pass emissions? And the sound coming from your truck… Is it obnoxious or pretty normal.

In Az, 96-97 rigs only test the OBD II plug and the gas cap pressure. There is no visual exam. My rig is loud, by choice, due to choice of muffler, not cat. I think if you keep the existing muffler and switch to an aftermarket cat you may only notice a small increase in volume. Several of us 80 owners have had this type of work done at Apache Muffler in Mesa on Main just east of Extention.

I run the Magnaflow dual OEM replacement cats. #447103 and #447217. They work flawlessly and I breezed through SMOG in CA. Build quality was on-par with OEM. They bolted right up and came with all the necessary gaskets.
California 447103
California 447217

In Az, 96-97 rigs only test the OBD II plug and the gas cap pressure. There is no visual exam. My rig is loud, by choice, due to choice of muffler, not cat. I think if you keep the existing muffler and switch to an aftermarket cat you may only notice a small increase in volume. Several of us 80 owners have had this type of work done at Apache Muffler in Mesa on Main just east of Extention.
Why did you go that way instead of magnaflow direct bolt on? Just cost or performance?

Is this the one Kevin?

image.jpeg

Is this the shop?

image.jpeg

Why did you go that way instead of magnaflow direct bolt on? Just cost or performance?

Little bit of both, and the one I used made it a little easier to move the exhaust over the frame, as opposed to under

I run the magnaflow cats on my 80 and I wouldn't call them cheap. However, on my 62 I ran a magnaflow "universal" cat (which is pretty cheap). In all cases, they worked fine and did wonders for my emissions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom