Cheap snorkel from Malaysia not too bad! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks very much, 3FJM. PM sent.

This is from Robustbambi's thread "my first Toyota". Page 15 or so...
As quoted from the all- knowing FJ40Jim...

im gonna have to disagree with this, at least for my 350 V8. i got water under the distributor and stalled out my engine early this fall. i put a spot of WD40 under it and then grease around the cap base as a water displacer

KWalkerM said:
im gonna have to disagree with this, at least for my 350 V8. i got water under the distributor and stalled out my engine early this fall. i put a spot of WD40 under it and then grease around the cap base as a water displacer

Yeah Jim was referring to the factory Toyota unit.

Spike, the holesaw is on its way. Happy drilling. Its a bit scary drilling a hole in a perfectly good vehicle, but its worth it. Good luck, and when you are done, pass it on.

Lanny
ThreeFJman

Thank you, Lanny - already got a PM for the next in line. After me, it'll go to Tag3, so PM him to grab your spot.

Everyone in line owes ThreeFJman a beer !

:beer: :cheers:

ARB Snorkel

Here is a pic of Zues, my 1982 FJ60. I ordered the ARB prior to finding this thread on the more economical snorkel. Drilling the holes was fairly straight forward, but sticking your arm way up into the fender to put the washers and nuts on was tough. And then reaching in with a ratchet to tighten the nuts contorted me into unpleasant positions. lol. I ended up dropping a flat fender waser down inside the fender. I still have not fished it out.

I really dont plan on fording water high enuff to test this. I guess I like the looks of this and hope that the higher intake keeps a bit more Moab dust out of harms way. I live in the panhandle of Nebraska so I get tone of comments on the snorkel, which gives plenty of room to brag about the classic Toyotas. I do like the looks of the "cheaper" snorkel, and the branding makes it look like an OEM part.
P1091670.jpg

AnkurGT said:
Wow... very drool worthy rig. Looks tough to climb into w/o sliders to step on!

33s are a real climb for ya, Ankur?

It had to be said.. Hehehe

My gf said the same thing. She thoinks it needs steps. "Steps" mean rock sliders! Oh yeah! Another project for Zeus! Got a call from Ben at Slee Off Road today. My ARB's, gears, and ARB bumper are on its way! Oh yeah!

Thought I would add my experience with the "Malay Snorkel". First off is HOLY COW!!! That is some FAST shipping. Ordered on Monday, at my door on Friday!!!
Snorkel appears well made and all hardware seems satisfactory. I, as others, substituted the rivets for self tapping #10 screws. 3.5" hole was easy with a compass and an air saw. Installed in about an hour (easy). Plumbing is going to take a bit more fabbing to the air cleaner. This will be another day.

Anyway here is the evidence.

DSC01805.jpg

DSC01806.jpg

DSC01809.jpg

Snorkel or not, that's a damn nice looking 60 Farman.

Ordered

Went ahead and pulled the trigger. Should be here Monday to Wed of next week. May paint to compliment the color of the rig as well a UV protection.

Thanks for the headsup!

Glenn in Tucson

This thread is making some Malaysians a ton of ringgit!!

Goes to show... competition kills! How long has Safari offered the snorkel for 60 series with near exclusivity? AT NEARLY 400 FREAKIN DOLLARS!!! It would be curious to see the numbers for ARB in this regard. Now if the Malaysians would just offer a bumper knock-off. That would be the TITS! $360 to your door - I'M IN!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom