Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

no, i think the oem toyota one is better.

Ken,
What's the heater hose going to your battery box?
I think that's either protection for a battery cable or a hose for the shower heat exchanger.

I modified the new CC by drilling a hole in the bottom cap and screwing in the OEM CC's swivel breather tube that routes down under the engine.
Won't the CC now breathe though the hose and saucer?

Or did you seal it so it only breathes through the hose?

Frank,
Only through the hose. I figured in dusty conditions, the saucer breathing will clog up very quickly.

Ken,
What's the heater hose going to your battery box?

I think that's either protection for a battery cable or a hose for the shower heat exchanger.

Bingo. If you look at my ROTW thread, you will see my shower install. Cold water is piped in via a connector on the passenger side ARB bumper with the hot connector on the drivers side. That's the Hot side Hose

I installed one of these CC's on Friday. Then did about 600 miles of driving. No more pressure issues at all when removing the gas cap.

Note that previous to this CC install, I would always experience what I would consider pressure that was too high. This has happened since the day I bought the truck in 2008.

5114871501_e217c4cb41.jpg

Last edited:
I have been driving the 80 around, a couple of 40 mile trips. All city driving though and no gas smell. Course its not in the 90's anymore

You d'man Jeeper

As I posted before mine was really bad, winter summer.. anytime I opened the cap, even after a 10 min ride from the station to home, I had a lot of venting! Installed the Airtex, and after 100 Miles no venting whatsoever!:grinpimp::D
Jeeper AWESOME find! :cheers::clap: This saved me a lot of $$$$$
And the:princess: can stop calling my ride demeaning names at every fillup !!! :clap:

I hope this works on my '93 as i found out yesterday OEM cansiters are now unobtainium. Ordered one and am keeping my fingers crossed.

7,000miles and no gas pressure issues. Thanks GM and Rochester for making a $30 charcoal canister that is without question 100x then a $200 part from Toyota.

On another note, this emissions part should never "clog" or fail. I have never heard of anything like this happening in a Yugo, let alone a world class 4x4.

subscribed! nice find.:clap:

Good find of a cheep replacement.

But one question? How is air escaping from the gas cap when removed a problem?
Or is it a vacuum? I can see where under a vacuum could be a slight problem or not.
Maybe good for keeping the smelly fumes in .

I would replace if it effected engine performance or was making a smell.

I rarely open the fuel cap my self as its 100% full service here in Cambodia. Guess I need to open it next time to see if it sucks or blows

Brian

Interesting.. I just ordered mine a month or so ago. Did you place the order via the website or at the store? I ordered from the website.

Looks like rockauto has them for a few dollars more:
1997 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX GT Vapor Canister

Application seems to be:
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix with 3.8 V6

Keep us posted on your results!

Has anyone tried this product available through Advance Auto Parts?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Fuel-Vapor-Canister-BWD_18480842-P_539_R|GRPEMISAMS_548099841___

I hope this works on my '93 as i found out yesterday OEM cansiters are now unobtainium. Ordered one and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Just got mine in the mail today and hopefully this works!

Installed mine last weekend. Had to do a few modifications. Since the canister is larger in diameter, I used longer bolts to clamp the holding brackets to the canister. I also needed to remove the frame bracket and widen the holes to fit the wider bolt pattern. For clearance reasons, I also did some grinding on the lower sides of the frame bracket to give clearance to the bottom sides of the canister and the bracket. I then installed the canister to the frame bracket, then the complete unit to the frame. Thanks Jeeper for finding this mod.

OEM fix

I guess this is addressed to FirstToy as he has disassembled the CC. if anyone else has please chime in.

The CC is a relatively simple device so is it possible the impaired function is merely a result of the clogged filter? is it possible to clean the filter? without replacing. $30 is inexpensive but i like to be environmentally friendly and not replace things that can be easily restored.

thanks

Generally it's the built-in check valves that stick or clog, not the actual charcoal element/filter. The FSM shows how to blow air thru the canister to clean and refresh the charcoal. However, that service doesn't solve the issue that most of us are/were having with the factory canister. The check valves are not serviceable.

If you want to use your orig CC, my thoughts are:
-remove the check valves and put in some barbed fittings.
-buy some generic check valves (only a few dollars at napa)

the cc has no moving parts inside besides the valves.

Valves

thanks guys! I haven't pulled it apart so I guess i will do so and see where the valves are before making a decision. My tanks (dual tanks) were venting for a crazy amount of time (2-3 minutes) the last time i drove it in about 80 degree weather on a relatively good two tracker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom