Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone out there looked through other Toyota models to find a canister that might fit and work in our 80's? IDK.

I tried for awhile. There appear to be some but they are just as unavailable as the 80 canisters.

I tried for awhile. There appear to be some but they are just as unavailable as the 80 canisters.
If you find one, and it's a real Toyota factory part, you can expect to pay as much as you would for the factory FZJ80 CC.

The ACDelco below works great for me. Installed last week before a trip into the Eastern Sierra Mtns in CA - spend most of my time at sea level.

Removed hose out of bottom of stock cc to frame and deleted bottom bracket as every one else describes - used a longer bolt in top bracket to hold in place as is slightly wider than stock.

Gone from sea level to 10,000ft and no back pressure at gas cap.

I also notice or fail to notice a strong smell of gas on startup - I used to think these cars ran rich at startup - maybe this was the cause......

image.png

What we need is a Wits-End modular charcoal canister, same size as OEM so it fits and looks correct, but with a top cap that can be removed (?threaded or removable band) so the canister can be dismantled and serviced easily.

Not the weekend but I'm preparing for the weekend. First weekend without any work or baseball since March. One day is dedicated to Cruiser PM and upgrades:

Having motor and undercarriage steam cleaned for $25! On Friday!

New Kenwood touchscreen head unit
Additional USB ports for charging
Speakers? Depends how the stereo sounds with new HU
New Tokico shocks all around
New oil pump seal and whatever seal it is that's behind that
Identifying any other leaks
Installing new 4Runner spray nozzles and pump in my relocated washer bottle
Touching up the roof then putting my roof rack on
Maybe getting around to wiring my lights and solar for my rack.

What we need is a Wits-End modular charcoal canister, same size as OEM so it fits and looks correct, but with a top cap that can be removed (?threaded or removable band) so the canister can be dismantled and serviced easily.

Haha after cracking one open I realized there wasn't much to it. But the steel tube, welding and closure would make it prohibitively expensive. Screw top would be out of the question but using the same closure as the air canister would be ideal.

Since these trucks are aging AND the CCs are becoming unobtainium this might be interesting.

But, I have too many projects that are too close to completion that I need to finish first before I start thinking about this.

BTW, I already know I need one myself :(

I wonder if the valve/pipe assembly on the top of the OEM canister could be salvaged from an original unit, then ?screwed into the WitsEnd canister?? Seems like that's what gets gummed up, but it isn't easily serviced.

I wonder if the valve/pipe assembly on the top of the OEM canister could be salvaged from an original unit, then ?screwed into the WitsEnd canister?? Seems like that's what gets gummed up, but it isn't easily serviced.

The pipe assembly is the easy part.

OK, but now that the seed is in your mind I'm sure you'll come up with something. :D

I like the idea of the flip latches if they could form a tight enough seal. Could you get a bunch of cans and lids made up somewhere (?overseas) for cheap? To save shipping costs or hassles with charcoal dust maybe ship them without the charcoal?? Would $100-150+/- for a direct fit serviceable replacement be doable?

The ACDelco below works great for me. Installed last week before a trip into the Eastern Sierra Mtns in CA - spend most of my time at sea level.

Removed hose out of bottom of stock cc to frame and deleted bottom bracket as every one else describes - used a longer bolt in top bracket to hold in place as is slightly wider than stock.

I also notice or fail to notice a strong smell of gas on startup - I used to think these cars ran rich at startup - maybe this was the cause......

View attachment 1294010

Installed the same model last night. pressure issue is gone!

Just a heads up, you can still get the VC120 from autozone. Online, you can add it to your cart, but when you try to check out, it errors out, and you can't complete the purchase. I went in to a nearby autozone, and they were able to order it and get it in two days. It shipped from CA to NM.

Last weekend I installed it in my '91. I had been having pressure release when removing the gas cap since I bought it in March. I found this fix on mud after I had really bad fuel vapor smell under the hood and in the cab after changing elevation on a hot day. Anyhow, I pulled the old CC out, and did the test in the FSM, and it failed both tests. Installed the new VC120, and the gas cap hasn't been releasing pressure anymore.
Great fix, I am really happy with the results. But the VC120 is really $%!**^ build and material quality-wise compared to the OEM part. I kept my old CC, and may eventually rebuild it!

20160918_185216_HDR.jpg
20160918_185210_HDR.jpg
what the heck.....

Getting ready to swap an ls and look at this lol

My vc120 blew up lol

View attachment 1323710 View attachment 1323713 what the heck.....

Getting ready to swap an ls and look at this lol

My vc120 blew up lol

What are you referring to when you say it "blew up"? It looks a little misshapen likely from the oil/grease that's on it, but that's what a VC120 looks like... that gap on the bottom is normal. It's where the canister vents.

I could have swore it was solid lol...... But i could be wrong

The bulged/flared bottom as well

download.jpg

Pic from autozone.com

View attachment 1294010
Just ordered....will post install results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom