Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok. So the gas fumes are burned instead of going out the filler cap when opened. Does the added fumes add 1mpg?

Some other questions:
-Why the charcoal canister? Couldn't it just be plugged directly to engine.
-Whould desmog reduce mpg because fumes are not going to engine?

Really want to understand what the canister does and impact. Thanks.
:lol:

There's a valve or two between the canister and the manifold. These all have to be working too...

Thanks all. No dispute on value. It is on my to do list.

So the engine sucks the fumes when it is running and the charcoal is to react fumes when it is turned off?

Can I get that in metric please? :) Just kidding! Thanks.

2.5 inches X 25.4 mm/inch = 63.5 mm :bounce:

I just checked mine and a 60 mm would work. I have the VC120

Thanks all. No dispute on value. It is on my to do list.

So the engine sucks the fumes when it is running and the charcoal is to react fumes when it is turned off?

Here is my speculation on how it works: when the engine is not running the carbon will absorb the gasoline and vent the pressure to outside. When engine is running the vacuum will draw pressure and vapor from gas tank and also from outside air which will pull some of the absorbed gas from the active carbon.

2.5 inches X 25.4 mm/inch = 63.5 mm :bounce:

I just checked mine and a 60 mm would work. I have the VC120

Is there a 60mm bolt and nut from the LC that we could order so as to retain an OEM type of look? And, if so, what would be the Toyota part number for the bolt/nut.

I'll bet I have a bolt like this in my scrounge.....many years of working on Mazdas, Hondas and toyotas.

Is there a 60mm bolt and nut from the LC that we could order so as to retain an OEM type of look? And, if so, what would be the Toyota part number for the bolt/nut.

Seems overkill to me.....just my .02

Seems overkill to me.....just my .02
A purist knows no end until he finds the bottom of his wallet, mine ended up being quite shallow!

So my question is to all. Has anyone gotten called out when having their vehicle inspected by the state with this 'charcoal canister' for smog purposes?

Thanks.

So my question is to all. Has anyone gotten called out when having their vehicle inspected by the state with this 'charcoal canister' for smog purposes?

Thanks.
I don't see why, but I'll let you know within a couple of weeks. It's that time again...

I think I might be to lazy to rebuild it.

My original 1 checked out OK following the FSM. I 'cleaned' it anyways per FSM but still get the shhhhhhhhhhhh when I open the gas cap.

Yeah the shhhhhhh, and also I had a stall issue that occurred at high altitude climbing a rough road (Shultz Pass) in Flagstaff and when I removed the gas cap it vented for days but then started. So I want to get this resolved.

My original 1 checked out OK following the FSM. I 'cleaned' it anyways per FSM but still get the shhhhhhhhhhhh when I open the gas cap.

It does that because the checkvalve is sticking. I rebuilt mine by pulling the canister and taking it apart. Mine took alot of carb cleaner and air to make it not sticky. You can't really do that without opening the canister.

I had a lady take a hard look at my 80 at the Colorado emission station. Only thing she didn't like was the cover over the cats. After a second person looked at it, all was well till I took the test and failed. Nothing said about the replacement CC.

Has anyone ever failed a emissions test with a defective OEM CC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom