1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changin the clutch

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by eli77fj40, Dec 19, 2002.

1. eli77fj40

eli77fj40

Does anyone know what the bare minimum amount of stuff(seats,tank,heater...) is necisary to change the clutch. Also does anyone have any low-tech ways of pullin the tranny for this project with the top on?

2. Mavric1298

Mavric1298

Not sure about 40's but in 60's you just have to buy/rent a tranny jack, and pull the carpet back enough to let you remove the "hump" or whatever you wanna call the acess pannel, and pull a few things off from the top, then lower it on down, look in the haynes manual if you have one, i thought it was pretty good at discribing it

3. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    Move heater, pull passenger seat, slide/move fuel tank, remove tunnel cover

I used to bench press the FJ40 4-speed and t-case into place, but I tend to get a bit stubborn with those things. I've used a normal floor jack and a web-ratchet too.

4. Erics75

Erics75

Ahh, the good old days, I too used to bench press them in and out. Now I have $30,000 worth of titanium in my back and this month is my 4th year aniversary since the injury and in February will be three years off of work. Use a jack and have somebody help you.
    Eric

5. Bailey

Bailey

77 FJ-40 "bare mimimum" -

Transmission shifter, Transfer Case shifter, rear drive shaft, emergency brake, transfer case.

Find some bolts that are the same thread pattern - but about 6 inches long and replace the transmission bolts with these one at a time. Slide transmission aft to free transmission shaft, support the transmission from below, remove the "slider bolts" then angle the transmission down in back to clear the frame.

Do the reverse to install. Probably about a 3 hour job the first time you try it. 2 with experience.