Changes for '74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 5/74 FJ40 and I know I have the 1F engine but I have read that for the last year of the 1F it was changed to accomadate a spin on, side mount oil filter and had a full flow filtration system. If this true in any way, what kind of filter is used on the older F engines? I also wanted to know If the 74 came original with a 4 spd and if it uses the long type pressure plate or the borg and beck style when mated up to a 1F. The reason I ask is alot of the FAQ pages and technical specs for this year are incorrect and or confusing and I just want to know what is actually out there in those '74's. Thanks guys.

The 4 spd that came on the '74 was an option, common with the newer '74's. I have the original 3 spd on the floor on my 10/73 ('74 model year.)

The biggest problems Im running into is the fact that some pages are using the production dates and some are using the model years. Toyota starts the new model year in september, right?

My 9/74 has the original 4-speed transmission and the spin on oil filter. This was also the first month that came with the diaphragm clutch assembly as opposed to the three finger.

The biggest problems Im running into is the fact that some pages are using the production dates and some are using the model years. Toyota starts the new model year in september, right?
Correct, 9/73 for example is '74 model year

Late sixties and on Fs have the spin on filter.  (My 9/70, for instance, uses the same filter as the 2Fs).  Model years varied in length and changeover [I just looked it up, and and found "Longest production run of any LC (9/73-12/74)"].  Things would change mid production year as well, so you need to look closest at production date in figuring out any parts, and you will find that even then they stuck in whatever was available at the time the vehicle was assembled.

My 9/74 has the original 4-speed transmission and the spin on oil filter. This was also the first month that came with the diaphragm clutch assembly as opposed to the three finger.
Actually the diaphragm clutch was introduced in 8/74 (my production date). I'm not sure when they switched to the 2F in '74 (mine's still the F). Does yours have the F, or the 2F Rad?

2F didn't come until '76 I believe. maybe '75, that was year for disks and new body styling. Also F's from ~70 on are considered late F's, actually closer to 2F's than to the early F's. '74/'75 F's are more like 1.5F's. ;)

So what are some of the biggest differences between the late F engines and the early F engines and what do the late engines share in comon with the 2 F engines?

I'm no expert...
early
single barrel carb
no airpump/emissions of any kind
old school oil filter, partial flow filtration
ignition coil location, oil pump is different I think
Late
only diff between my friends '78 and my '74 that I noticed:
different air intake, different valve cover, different oil pump, 2 compression 1 oil ring i think it is versus 1 each on F. Carb is a little different. Other than displacement there really isn't too much else, that I know of. There are definatly little things that I have neglected to include or are too lazy too.

engines:
"pre F" E-1968 (early that year). Siamese port engine (you know it when you see it), cast iron intake manifold, most have 1bbl/2 bolt carb but some have "fire engine" 2bbl cast iron manifold. All had cartridge oil filter on drivers side- but some converted to spin on. No oil fill cap on valve cover. (F105,110, 125, 135)

F 1968-1973 (early 1974), aluminum intake, some 1bbl most 2bbl, oil filter cartridge or later spin on driver side. Some 1968's even had smog pumps, then 1969-1972 non drilled heads, '73 drilled for air rail once more. (F145, F155)

1974 F (sept 1973), spin on filter on pass side- oil pattern crossover to 2F's so heads can go on either. Still tin valve cover.

1975-1980 2F's, oil cooler in 1976, drilled for PS mount 1979. Al valve cover

1981-1987 2F's (the FJ60 engine) Cylinder heads do not interchange with earlier.

Clutch change is 8/74- but by changing out flywheel etc a better diaphragm type can be installed back with any model. Rob Mullen's FAQ is due to be updated with much more info so don't hold all info there as fact.

here is a fun one i have a 74 w/ 2f 2bb cast iron intake, oil is onthe passanger side, w/ 4 speed tranny, and i have disk brakes. i dont know what happened and the pervious owner said he got it like that. its also the mystery oramge color. funny things happen to cruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom