chainsaw troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So D'animal are you saying husky is no good or???

I am currently contemplating purchase of a saw(most like a husky (not sure on model yet though) don't want a monster saw but i want a saw that can do it all. cut trees down, limb em, and slice em up for firewood with no problems...i am thinking the Rancher(455) is my best bang for the buck??? Maybe a husky 350??

Have been borrowing my brothers POO Pro to cut firewood (maple, ash, oak...) and i am having no luck with it. Saw is 1.5 years old and it won't oil the chain (leaks oil like crazy though) and ate a new Home Depot chain in a bout 1-2hours (teethe are missing out of this thing) and right now i have a nother 1/2-3/4 cord to cut and it is dead in the water...just pissing me off..

Stew

Last edited:
I am currently contemplating purchase of a saw(most like a husky (not sure on model yet though) don't want a monster saw but i want a saw that can do it all. cut trees down, limb em, and slice em up for firewood with no problems...i am thinking the Rancher(455) is my best bang for the buck??? Maybe a husky 350??

The big question is, what size timber will you potentially be working with? Here in CA we can get pretty but, but I've been plenty other spots around the country where all they got is smaller trees.

So D'animal are you saying husky is no good or???

Hell, I'll go right ahead and say it. Huskys are great if you're willing to spend all your time fine-tuning and monkeying around. I was in the wildfire and fire mitigation business, and only ran Stihls--an MS 440 on the fireline and for general work, with 066 and 088 on reserve for heavy work. I've never had a problem that we couldn't fix in half an hour, and once basket-built a 440 in the field, from parts, in forty-five minutes. A stihl chainsaw is one of the best tools I've ever used, and when treated half-decently, will last as long as youy want it to.

Hell, I'll go right ahead and say it. Huskys are great if you're willing to spend all your time fine-tuning and monkeying around. I was in the wildfire and fire mitigation business, and only ran Stihls--an MS 440 on the fireline and for general work, with 066 and 088 on reserve for heavy work. I've never had a problem that we couldn't fix in half an hour, and once basket-built a 440 in the field, from parts, in forty-five minutes. A stihl chainsaw is one of the best tools I've ever used, and when treated half-decently, will last as long as youy want it to.

LOL! I'm glad some one said it.

I work for STIHL. I was the Service Manager for the Western USA from 95 -2002. I covered CA, AZ, NV, UT, NM, CO, El Paso, TX, HI, Guam and southern Oregon.

Now I'm a field manager and only cover CA, AZ, NV, HI, and Guam.

I do a lot of CDF as well as USFS hotshot training as well as other special interests groups such as Swat Teams, Armed Forces etc.

I am active in Mudship in my travels.

LOL! I'm glad some one said it.

I work for STIHL. I was the Service Manager for the Western USA from 95 -2002. I covered CA, AZ, NV, UT, NM, CO, El Paso, TX, HI, Guam and southern Oregon.

Now I'm a field manager and only cover CA, AZ, NV, HI, and Guam.

I do a lot of CDF as well as USFS hotshot training as well as other special interests groups such as Swat Teams, Armed Forces etc.

I am active in Mudship in my travels.

what's your opinion on removing the spark arrestor. I removed mine and the saw runs a billion times better (slight exaggeration)

what's your opinion on removing the spark arrestor. I removed mine and the saw runs a billion times better (slight exaggeration)

I leave them in.

If your spark arrestor is plugging there is a problem. Your fuel mix could be off or your carburetor is set too rich. I think you live in NC or SC so altitude should not be an issue. If you were at 10,000 elevation that would cause it to run rich.

Before you do any carburetor adjustments make sure you start with fresh 89 or higher fuel and a good quality mix oil blended at the manufacturers recommended ratio. Make sure your air filter is clean.

If you have ran the saw for an extended period of time with a plugged spark arrestor, carbon may have partially plugged your exhaust port. When this cabon heats up it can flake off and fall back into the piston area and begin scoreing the piston and cylinder. To the untrained eye it will look like some one ran straight fuel in your saw.

I leave them in.

If your spark arrestor is plugging there is a problem. Your fuel mix could be off or your carburetor is set too rich. I think you live in NC or SC so altitude should not be an issue. If you were at 10,000 elevation that would cause it to run rich.

Before you do any carburetor adjustments make sure you start with fresh 89 or higher fuel and a good quality mix oil blended at the manufacturers recommended ratio. Make sure your air filter is clean.

If you have ran the saw for an extended period of time with a plugged spark arrestor, carbon may have partially plugged your exhaust port. When this cabon heats up it can flake off and fall back into the piston area and begin scoreing the piston and cylinder. To the untrained eye it will look like some one ran straight fuel in your saw.

the spark arrestor was not really plugged... but why leave it in there to restrict the exhaust flow. I live in a swampy area... so if I caught the woods on fire.. hell already froze over and there are bigger problems to deal with.

Is the spark arrestors only goal to stop sparks or is there an actual legitimate mechanical performance reason for it being there.

Is the spark arrestors only goal to stop sparks or is there an actual legitimate mechanical performance reason for it being there.

If it is just a wire screen there are no legitimate mechanical performance enhancements.

Some are built with a restrictor plate as a part of them.

All Chain Saw manufacturers comply to the USFS regulatations since it is the base line all countries use.

If it is just a wire screen there are no legitimate mechanical performance enhancements.

All Chain Saw manufacturers comply to the USFS regulatations since it is the base line all countries use.

Yeah... I felt guilty when I removed it.. but the saw just runs better. It sounds like a dirt bike:D and the rpms are higher :grinpimp:

Alcohol in the fuel will cause piston failure. My dad just replaced a Stihl m290 farmboss for that very reason. High alcohol content will cause the saw to run better than ever- for a short time. It overheats the combustion chamber until it toasts the piston. Buy an alcohol test kit for $4 and then you'll know.

I just bought a Stihl m290 for my own use, after borrowing several over the past year or two. For general farm/home use and trail maintenance they are unbeatable.

Say what you want, I love my Stihl farm boss and can't think of a better saw. I have it stored in a case in my shed and I pulled it out this spring to prep it for the summer and when I opened the case, found an inch or so of water inside the case with the saw soaking...:mad: Dried it out, cleaned the magneto/flywheel and the coil pickup and she fired right up. :D

I'm absolutely loving my 290. It was so worth the extra coin to have something that I don't have to screw around with to get it to work. I followed directions and didn't run it hard until 5 tanks of fuel. Now that I've gone through a few gallons of fuel the saw has developed a lot more power.

As a follow-up to the original post - I finally got Lowe's to agree to give me my money back on the Husky 142. It took a call to the district manager.

So who makes Sachs Dolmer?

I have the Stihl MS210 and love it. The biggest thing the dude at the mom & pop shop told me was to use fresh premium gas and toss it after a month or two after mixed with oil. This saw is great and so was the shop that sold it. The dude made sure that he covered all safety aspects of chain sawing and how to treat her right.

I love the Stihl ads in newspapers: You wont find a Stihl chain saw in Home Depot or Lowe's!!

Have fun with your 290.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom