Center Differential Lock will not disengage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 97 80 Series. Here's what happened ...
Put it in 4LO, CDL locked, ABS disabled .... no problem
Put it back in 4HI, CDL does not unlock, ABS still disabled ..... problem

Any ideas on why the CDL will not disengage?

Check the fuse.
On loose ground with CDL off try reversing a bit (possibly bound up)
Switch between low and hi oh a million times if it happens to be a sticky switch.

Worst case jack up the truck and try to spin the wheels freely to unbind. Use GOOD jacks for this method.

Search here as well. Almost every aspect of the CDL issues have been covered and resolved here.

Thanks for the info. Here is an update. Fuse is good. When shifting from N to L I can hear the relay "click" and the CDL actuator "whine". When I shift from L to N I can hear the relay "click" and the CDL actuator "whine". When I shift from N to H or H to N I hear nothing. Is this typical that the relay/actuator only engage between N and L? CDL interlock remains locked and ABS remain disabled. Any help appreciated. Oh, also tried shifting from H-N-L about 1000 times, drove F and R repeatedly, nothing seems to unlock CDL.

Thanks for the info. Here is an update. Fuse is good. When shifting from N to L I can hear the relay "click" and the CDL actuator "whine". When I shift from L to N I can hear the relay "click" and the CDL actuator "whine". When I shift from N to H or H to N I hear nothing. Is this typical that the relay/actuator only engage between N and L? CDL interlock remains locked and ABS remain disabled. Any help appreciated. Oh, also tried shifting from H-N-L about 1000 times, drove F and R repeatedly, nothing seems to unlock CDL.

Shifting from H to N does not effect the CDL or trigger any relays but there is a neutal sensor that should turn on a warning lamp on the dash to indicate neutral. Its a warning to indicate that even though the transmission in park the truck is still able to roll.

If you are testing the functions of the CDL without moving and/or putting the transmiision in neutral it may not immediately engage or disengage. There could be "wind-up" in the driveline front to back that needs to be released.

Try putting the TC in High, CDL button disengaged, and do some figure 8's on a dirt parking area or whatever low traction surface you can find. If no change, try doing the same in reverse. It sounds like it's just bound up.

If this doesn't work or isn't available, try putting it up on some 6 ton jackstands (all 4 corners off the ground), and put it in gear (forward and then reverse) to see if it will release that way. Be VERY careful with this one, potential for bad things to happen is high. Don't be under the truck for this step.

If you get this to work, I'd lock it again, and unlock it again, and lock it again, and so on till you're confident it's working properly.

Have you changed the TC fluid? I've always found the CDL engages and disengages faster with some fresh fluid in there, in both my 80's and the wife's GX470.

I had something like this happen this past week. It wouldn't disengage so I got in some gravel and drove in reverse while turning back and forth. This seemed to unbind it and got it unlocked. Not sure if this will help, but it managed to get mine disengaged. Also, fluid is a good idea. That is my plan to hopefully prevent it from binding up again. Hope this helps and you get it figured out! :)

uncle banjo, what do you mean by fluid is a good idea?

The actuator motor is a sealed unit, so the binding is really more internal.

Or you could unlock center diff, set the parking brake/chock the rear wheels, trans in netural, jack one front tire off the geound and rotate it forward and backwards til it unlocks.

If this doesn't work or isn't available, try putting it up on some 6 ton jackstands (all 4 corners off the ground), and put it in gear (forward and then reverse) to see if it will release that way. Be VERY careful with this one, potential for bad things to happen is high. Don't be under the truck for this step.

If you get this to work, I'd lock it again, and unlock it again, and lock it again, and so on till you're confident it's working properly.

Have you changed the TC fluid? I've always found the CDL engages and disengages faster with some fresh fluid in there, in both my 80's and the wife's GX470.

uncle banjo, what do you mean by fluid is a good idea?

The actuator motor is a sealed unit, so the binding is really more internal.

Was more or less reiterating what IanB said. Changing the transfer case fluid may make it easier for the actautor to work. Does that make sense?

I thought you were meaning spray it with WD40 or something. Sorry.

The actuator moves the fork in the photo to lock onto the front shaft.
The problem is if the shaft is stuck or if the actuator is bad you really need to remove the TC to troubleshoot.
Hopefully it will disengage itself while driving around or as mentioned above, jack up all four corners to relieve any torque on the shafts. _MG_7133.JPG

Why do you guys keep recommending jacking up all four? There is no need. Either spend 30 seconds to put the trans in neutral and jack up one side of the front axle til it is off the ground and rock the tire forwards and backwards.

Or even easier, turn the steering wheel and drive forward 20 feet or so then back up. If it bind up still in both directions repeat until your bored and gave to tear it apart.

No need to over think this one.

It it locked once there is extremely good odds it will unlock.

The actuator moves the fork in the photo to lock onto the front shaft.
The problem is if the shaft is stuck or if the actuator is bad you really need to remove the TC to troubleshoot.
Hopefully it will disengage itself while driving around or as mentioned above, jack up all four corners to relieve any torque on the shafts.View attachment 1147255
So i am having the same issues. It will not disengage the center lock. I have tried everything listed here. Changed the fluid, figure 8's, reverse 100 times switching gears etc. Its still locked. I can hear it click from low to n. Than when I go from neutral to high, center diff lock still is on and Iocked. Im guessing a bad actuator. I have no clue where that is. So if anyone can show me a few pictures so I can check it out and possibly change it out i would appreciate it.

So i am having the same issues. It will not disengage the center lock. I have tried everything listed here. Changed the fluid, figure 8's, reverse 100 times switching gears etc. Its still locked. I can hear it click from low to n. Than when I go from neutral to high, center diff lock still is on and Iocked. Im guessing a bad actuator. I have no clue where that is. So if anyone can show me a few pictures so I can check it out and possibly change it out i would appreciate it.
Did you try what was suggested in post #15?

What us post number 15? New to this site

Post # is in the top right corner of each post, this response should be #19 in this thread.

Post #15:

Why do you guys keep recommending jacking up all four? There is no need. Either spend 30 seconds to put the trans in neutral and jack up one side of the front axle til it is off the ground and rock the tire forwards and backwards.

Or even easier, turn the steering wheel and drive forward 20 feet or so then back up. If it bind up still in both directions repeat until your bored and gave to tear it apart.

No need to over think this one.

It it locked once there is extremely good odds it will unlock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom