Cell phone booster Ya or Nay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
With more travel away from home I was find the need for better cell signal and reception. Some research brought me to weBoost (previously Wilson)as one of the better companies with great reviews. Having used Wilson products in the past with good results and offering a 30 day money back what could I loose. I ordered a Wilson weBoost Drive 4G-S Cell Phone Booster Kit. Not the cheapest thing out but if it speeds up DL times and reception and will work with all carriers I can justify the cost.

I also ordered a suction mount that moved in ever way possible but the mount that is supplied work the best for my needs. They supply a 4" magnetic mount antenna that needs to be positioned min. 6" from the edge and 6" from the window. The top of my aluminum CampTeq was out so the hood seemed like a safe place. When not traveling the antenna will be parked under the hood out of sight. The antenna wire was plenty long with extensions available if needed. The base is powered by USB with a 12v adapter included.

Installation was quick and straight forward, maybe an hour. Your phone just sits in the adjustable cradle that I liked because my phone has a heavy monster aftermarket battery that makes the popular magnet mounts not desirable. In my install I made sure to have quick access to more cable to be able to unsnap the cradle from the base and with the phone in place hold it closer for better viewing or operation.

Bottom line it works - Found a local area with 1 or more bars with the phone in place plug in the power and more bars appear unplug they go away. Works! Im sure there is a way to do a DL speed test on my phone and I will test it if someone can post up how?

IMG_6435[1].JPG
IMG_6439[1].JPG
IMG_6431[1].JPG
IMG_6430[1].JPG

Does the base use the AMPS mounting pattern? I have a Panavise phone mount (link)that I'd like to attach it to, as I really like the placement.

do a speed test on your phone. I think there are apps that do this or just go to speedtest.net

I have a weboost, it does give me coverage in some otherwise uncovered areas.

@LandCruiserPhil it would be awesome if you kept this thread updated with your thoughts and performance eval of the product. I have also looked at that but wasn't sold do to the 3 star review and the fact that its hard to trust reviews on Amazon. I wonder how this would do up in the mountains or down in the deep forest of Arkansas.

I drive SR410 up to Crystal Mtn to ski in the winter. There's a 20 mile section past Greenwater that is notorious for no cell coverage. It's in a valley. With my wilson booster I now have cell coverage, only a few bars, but I get both text and voice. When 4 wheeling in the Cascades I also get service where others on the trip do not. Down in a valley, up on a ridge, it's better in both, but whether you actually get coverage where you are is dependent on how far you are from a cell site.

thx for the write up, considering getting this unit, hoping it will help when travelling and using the phone as a hotspot. Is it ok to place the antenna on a roof rack OR does it need to be on a metal plane like a hood or roof?

Ordered....will do a "speedtest" with and without next week while in Johnson Valley for the King of the Hammers :)

Ordered....will do a "speedtest" with and without next week while in Johnson Valley for the King of the Hammers :)

FWIW- I sent mine back once I found out the FCC limits the new units to ~4/10 of a watt and purchased the now obsolete and illegal to produce full 3 watt model:flipoff2: I cant tell all the details yet because I still need to find at least one more with the serial number :censor: :D

Reactions: RFB
FWIW- I sent mine back once I found out the FCC limits the new units to ~4/10 of a watt and purchased the now obsolete and illegal to produce full 3 watt model:flipoff2: I cant tell all the details yet because I still need to find at least one more with the serial number :censor: :D
Hook me up!

yeah man, what's the details on this? do you have to find a used one in order to get the more powerful model?

I have the Wilson 5G-X and added a high gain antenna instead of the little stubby one that came with the kit. Another way you can check the boost from the antenna is to check the dB level.
On Android:
Go to settings
About phone
Status-phone number,signal,etc
Mobile network Type

The closer to -50dB the stronger the signal. You can test how the amp is working by going to this setting with the amp off and noting the dB. Then turn on the amp you should see the dB drop. You can experiment decreasing the dB by moving the inside antenna in relation to the phone.
Tech support at Wilson told me that the indoor and outdoor antennas should not see each other through the glass. This can cause interference. Wilson Tech support is very good.

Hope this helps.

The older Wilson Electonics model that is discontinued seems to be the preferred model to the weboost

do you know what serial # or model #'s we should be looking for to get the strongest older model?

Wilson just sent me their newest model to review If you want my 4G unit its all you @LandCruiserPhil cover the ship

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom