cb vs ham - wheeling, not nec event (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some of the more techie people could run a cross repeater, 2m to cb. That way anyone on cb would be re-broadcast on 2m and visa-versa

Haven't played with that yet, but it's technically not that difficult

Technically it isnt difficult, but its probably illegal. As an operator needs a licence to transmit on the ham bands then a CB operator transmitting via a cross band repeater would be effectively transmitting on the ham band, although its the device doing the retransmission.. I'm an amateur oprator. Id feel safer on the trail with ham gear than CB gear, the likelyhood that I can call for medical help if I need it is greater on the ham bands..

We have had 80 mile line of sight transmit/receive on 2m in the Baja from one side of the Gulf of California to the other and that was only at 5 watts! Ham has the ability to vary the output power (in fact folks are encouraged to do that to avoid disturbing others) and thus keep communications among your group.

If you have a mobile ham radio with the 10m band (at least I think it's 10m and it is HF) I think you can hear the CB radios but you will be locked out from transmitting to them as they are outside the legal ham frequencies. Folks can and do modify their hams by unlocking them to transmit outside of ham bands but that is highly illegal.

CB is antiquated crap.

I could not believe the quality, clarity, power, and technology packed into a 2 meter ham unit for damn near the SAME price as a good cb radio.

Last edited:
Another advantage: People do monitor the repeaters in their area(s). You may not reach the person you want, but you can reach somebody if you need to. It is common for hams to relay messages by phone if necessary. In my area many off-roaders (hams) use a local "OPEN" repeater to find out who else is in the area, then settle on a simplex freq. for weekend local use.

Not to mention theres quite a few hams scattered across the country that post right here on MUD! I think I remember a thread of many of 'em in the outfitting section?

Last edited:
I see now it's in a new area called electronic toys.

Not necessarily for an organized event, where specifically a cb is required, but for wheeling in general, where sometimes long distance communication could be a huge help....

.... and I'm posting this here while there was some recent discussion both on the LCML list and this site's 80&100 tech section.

Could someone give us, in basic language, what the big benefit is of HAM over cb and if so great, why cb still prevails at wheeling events and parks? ???

Thanks
Well for a super dick of your stature I would do all the hams of the world a favor and stick to CB. Please.

Flip off dot

JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom