CB INSTALL Example! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SNAFU!!!

the speakers are sold out and the manufacturer makes them for a military contract so they are $200 each new.

Anyone know of an 8 ohm speaker that is ~5 inches across to the mounting point?

updated...

Installed the speakers in the stock in-dash location and wired it in series as described.

AWESOME!

Everything bolted up and went in...completely stock install and sounds wonderful to hear the truckers loud enough to ring your ears.

PM me if anyone wants to do this and needs pointers...I love it!

Dan,

Let me understand this better...you installed the CB speakers where the factory audio speakers are normally?

I installed them in the front dash where the stock tweeters are.

The front doors still have the stereo speakers, as do the rear doors.

I have an aftermarket stereo and I am running only those 4 for audio.

This left the in-dash tweeters unused, so I swapped in speakers to use with the CB that is mounted in dash below the aftermarket stereo.

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=4584;start=msg37519#msg37519 date=1062608444]
...completely stock install and sounds wonderful to hear the truckers loud enough to ring your ears.
[/quote]

Ahhh, this is a good thing? I tend to only use the CB on trail rides as most of the trucker talk seems to be '*!**^%$ you *&(( and she's a ^%$&*' tends to leave my ears ringing :D

PS, Very sweet install and great idea on using the stock tweater locations. I may do the same and run one radio to one speaker and a second radio to the second speaker.

Cheers, Hugh

I wanted them loud because if I am wheeling with my radio on (CD playing, drinking wine and eating caviar...this is an 80 afterall) I can't hear the lil speaker in the CB.

Why run em to two radios? My CB an monitor 2 channels...just get one that can!

Thanks for the props...I am loving it. perhaps a picture or two is in order.

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=4584;start=msg37851#msg37851 date=1062683975]

Why run em to two radios? My CB an monitor 2 channels...just get one that can!

[/quote]

Opps, Sorry, one for CB and one for my amateur radio (HAM) - the REAL radio - I monitor the amateur radio all of the time and CB only when on a trail with others that are using CB.

Cheers, Hugh

CB = Chicken Band :D

Oh, I've run one since 1974 ::)

HAM is for sammiches!! :eek:

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=4584;start=msg37883#msg37883 date=1062691294]
HAM is for sammiches!! :eek:
[/quote]

Ah yes :D, but isn't it nice to know that when I'm out of cell phone coverage range at the cottage I can easily use the HAM radio to access the phone system and call for help or, type in '4550' and bring up the Atlanta GA repeater from Huntsville ON, Canada and ask Dan for help :D :D

Try that with CB

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh,

Sometimes the "skip" rolls pretty good ::) but, ya know who uses that :flipoff2:

Finally figured out where/how to mount my CB antenna...BESIDES getting the $1200 Cb Antenna Mount/KAymar Rear bumper :D.

I went to home depot..bought a piece of steel and just cut & bent around the back tail gate. I mounted it to the body..and sealed it (to prevent rust). It looks pretty good and everything clears. Below are the pics.

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

Later..
-Joe-

If you find the mount doesn't work, you could also use a gutter mount (found at any good radio shop). Upside is that it puts the antenna up nice and high, downside is that it puts the antenna up nice and high!

Cheers, Hugh

with a gutter mount you can just run the 2 foot firestik to minimize the height and still get good reception (since it completely clear of the body.

I am bumper mounting mine on the slee front I just bought (thanks Junk!) and will probably go 4 foot.

[quote author=CDN_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=4584;start=msg37879#msg37879 date=1062690669]
Opps, Sorry, one for CB and one for my amateur radio (HAM) - the REAL radio - I monitor the amateur radio all of the time and CB only when on a trail with others that are using CB.

Hugh... What do you run for Ham? Do you have vhf/uhf units and do you run any hf rigs from the Cruiser? My call is N5LPT, and I have a Kewoood 440 TS with a/t. I have not been able to find a good place to mount it even for temporary use. I had an old bug catcher on my old Cruiser 80 but decided not to go with that antenna on this one. Just haven't decided which set up to go with yet...
[/quote]

Image:

I'm a new HAM, so I'm not running HF at this time (but I would love an IC 706!), except for a bit of 'HF' on EchoLink and IRLP.

I'm currently running a Kenwood TH-F6 tri-band (144/220/440) HT, which I find quite handy and meets my modest needs. Most of the places I go are generally well covered with repeaters. I have a small MFJ dual band antenna that is 'ok', but noticed it needs to be fixed from some chafing :(

Over the next year I would like to put in a dual band mobile Kenwood or Icom to run APRS and to give me a bit more punch. To ease the install, I want to get a detachable face and run the body in the rear using PowerPoles to ease removal (so I can use it as a base as well). I've been pondering locations and think either (1) below the ashtray, (2) in the ashtray slot, (3) replacing stereo and using one of the slots, (4) maybe on the dash or (5) up top above the mirror.

No plans for HF in the near future, but if I did, I really like the looks of some of the AUS installs - running the antenna behind the spare tire on a spare tire swing-out (I've got pics, I'll have to find)

Cheers, Hugh VE3HMS

Hey Hugh...I just read your post and wanted to tell you that I just installed the Icom 706MKII in the cruiser. I have an 8 circuit rigrunner mounted beneath the front passenger seat which feeds the transceiver in the rear storage bin in back. I have a Larson Mag mount up on the rack in the rear with a dual band 2m/70cm. I have a heavy hatchback mount by Diamond on the right side of the rear hatch. I have a set on mono bander antennas called Ham Sticks (75m-10m) and an additional 6m antenna for working 6 meters when open. I also am thinking of getting the Outbacker Perth Plus multi band HF antenna to run in addition to the mono banders.

The 706 is awesome... I mounted it just beneath the ashtray and it angles up perfectly. I have been learning the radio and programming some settings but I don't want to do to much programing as of yet beacuse I am planning on modifying the TX to work everywhere it receives. After doing the mod, I will have to reset the CPU which will clear any settings I have made. I have a 1.9Khz SSB filter ordered and as soon as it is here, I will open the rig and set the filter and make the mods. If you are interested in running mobil HF, the 706 is the way to go in my opinion. I have watched the 706 series Icoms and they have rave reviews from everyone I have talked to.

If you need any help with anything, just let me know. I would be glad to help and thank you for showing me the Anderson Power Poles and RigRunners. They make a very clean install for a second fuse block and very convenient connectivity. I have a set of Hella 1000's running off one of the 25 Amp poles and it works great.

Image:

I happen to be on-line just as you post...very cool and well done :cheers: (I need a picture of Homer salivating). It sounds like a GREAT install. Would you mind posting/emailing pics? I would love to see (1) radio location, (2) Rig Runner Locn (ps - what guage of wire did you run and what path?) and (3) Antenna mount.

Are you using an antenna tuner or just swapping the Ham Sticks? I was out last weekend and really realized that I need to buy a mobile. One guy in a bit of a bad jam and I couldn't hit the repeater with my portable (external antenna was damaged, which didn't help)

Cheers, Hugh

I will get some pictures and post them here. I didn't even tell my wife what I was doing and that evening after the install, we went riding and she did not even notice what I had done. I have a Kenwood external speaker and it fits perfectly in the little opening on the center console. I like it there and it looks like its supposed to go there. I also plug the phone out from the radio head and feed it into my tape deck and listen over the stock speakers, and then of course I have a set on noise canceling Bose headphones. I really like mobil setup because I enjoy just being out and able to chat with friends anound the continent. If you get a mobil HF rig, perhaps we can coordinate time schedules and try to hook up on 40m or 75/80m.

I will show you a picture also of my antenna and mount. The mount is made by Diamond (k400c) and it is their heavy duty HF lip mount which is fully adjustable. I mounted it as high up on the rear hatch as I could before it beging to curve so I could get the widest foot print on the mount. I am also considering mounting an Outbacker on the front Bull Bar and using a coax switch to go between the monoband Ham Sticks and the multiband.
I even have considered designing a loop array using my Tradesman full length roof rack. Being of horizontal configuration, it would allow me to hear better by reducing noise. I don't know what the radiation pattern would look like but it may be something worth experimenting with. It may only be best for receiving and I could just use the Ham Sticks for transmit.
I have been into radio since about 1987 when I went to T.S.T.I. (Texas State Technical institute) in Waco and got my degree in radio communication electronics with avaiation and radar endorcements. That is when I got my Ham license and I was really involved in radio comm electronics for a long time. I really liked designing low band antenna arrays. I had become inactive for a while, like 6-7 years, but have always kept my towers and ham shacks in tact. I just recently decided to get the multi band HF Icom rig so I could get back involved. I was a member of RACES in McClennon County and ran emergency spotting during severe weather. That was very cool... I have been looking up some of my old friends only to find that most have passed and become silent keys, but I have run into familiar people here and there.

I'll work on getting those pictures and get them posted by this weekend.

Talk to you later.

mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom