Carburetor vacuum line desmog question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a desmogged 78 40 with a 78 Jim C. rebuilt carburetor and a recurved large cap distributor that I installed last night. I have a question about where the vacuum lines go. I've been reading this post https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/188643-my-desmog-thread.html and looking at the diagrams, but still don't understand where my vacuum lines should go. I think I'm missing the BVSV (1) and the VCV for the EVAP. Do I need those?

How I have it hooked up now, and it runs, but I don't think it's correct
A. Dizzy Advance
B. Manifold Vacuum
C. Vacuum port on carb insulator
D. Open

Thoughts?
Carb1.jpg
Carb 2.jpg
desmog-Layout.jpg

A is your vacuum advance port which should be connected to the advance on your dizzy.
B was your EGR port which I would cap since you don't have EGR any longer.
C I can't tell from your picture what you are identifying.
D is your TP or throttle positioner and wold normally connect to the TP port above the advance port on the carb. I can't remember what you do with this on a desmog, but I'm sure Jim will be along to tell you.

Do you have any of the smog parts you would like to sell? I need to smog my 78 FJ55 and could use some of your parts if you have them.

For a '78, I believe this is the diagram you need to be looking at:
attachment.php

C. is coming from the bottom of the rectangle box on the top from of the carb, can't remember what that is called.

My truck was already desmogged by the PO, so I don't many part, only a messed up air rail. Let me know if you're interested and I can snap a picture.

Thank you for the diagram, it helps to have the right one.

You have a non-catalyst 78 truck.
My Desmog Thread is directed at the very different 79-87 catalyst equipped 2F.

The HIC connects to the top of the carb as pictured. The bottom of the HIC should be connected to one of the vac nipples on the side of the carb insulator baseplate.

The Choke Breaker should connect to manifold vacuum.

Ported vac (A) should connect to the inner vac advance port on the dissy because the engine is a low compression type.

Cap port B, since the vehicle is already missing the BVSV and VCV.

The dissy cap ventilation system should be put back operational, but that is just a question of re-using the stock 78 dissy vent stuff.

It's amazing how often that happens.

9/78 fj40 carb vacuum routing desmog

Need some help on vacuum lines
9/78 FJ federal desmog
Attached photos of what I have
- looks like I have a rebuilt 76/77 CA carb. No port on carb to connect to OuterVCV line from char canister (as desmog diagram shows). line from canister is capped off.
-Missing both BVSV's.
-smog pump disconnected and rail capped (no backfire once removed)
-Looks like I have a VCV on passenger side next to PCV valve

1.How do I connect the TP?
2.Where does the small port at the top of carb connect to? Is that choke breaker port.
3.Small VCV on driver's fender. What does this connect to?
78%20layout%20desmog_small.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 21.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom