cant get the (long) axel shaft back in (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i reinstalled the (locked) front oem locked differential then inserted the short shaft. (it slid right in).. then i attempted the longer shaft. Nope wont go. i've talked dirty to it. diden't go in, i apologized then asked nicely.. still wont go in. turned the diff flange a bit to turn the gears still wont go.. whats the trick ???

Last edited:
yes. steering and knuckles are straight I'm manipulating the end to get the inside part to move around and it just won't go in the diff. is there some trick I'm missing ?

Put the keys in the ignition and release the ignition switch lock, so the front suspension will turn freely as though you are turning the steering wheel. As you put the shaft in, work the knuckle very slightly left to right, as though the steering wheel is turning. That little bit of wiggle room got mine right in.
For others reading this, I recommend practicing reinserting the axles the moment you remove them. While you're right there, and your ass is on the stool, and you are playing with your old beat up inner axle seals, work the axle shafts out and back in a few times each. That way, when you go to reinsert them (probably the following day) you will have already done it and know how it should feel.

work the axle shafts out and back in a few times each. That way, when you go to reinsert (if you're lucky) you will have already done it and know how it should feel.

Yes, precisely. Ymmv

the tie rod end was already off so i rocked the knuckle L to right slightly and turned the shaft so the flat spot was now at 12 and 6 o clock and it slid right in. i owe some one a beer at next yrs GSMTR. thanks gents

Glad to hear you got 'er done! If my advice was helpful, I still have gotten a whole lot more from Mud than I've given. Still, I'm glad to have helped a little bit.

The long side is heavy so you need to tilt the inside end up. Push down on the top of the birfield while inserting to tilt it up so it can slide in.

This is SO hot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom