Can't get it to start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I just finished a rebuild put everything back together and now it won't start. Set it to tdc no.1 spark plug and it won't start, any ideas?

It's most likely the distributor has skipped a gear when re-installed.
With #1 cylinder at top dead center, distributor installed with the rotor pointing at the #1 plug wire. No fire, remove distributor and rotate the rotor 180 degrees and reinstall.

While cranking make sure oil pressure registers on your gauge if not re-install distributor. Another thing to check is the fuel delivery to the carb, it takes several cranks for the fuel to reach the carb. Check all electrical connections as well.

There are many threads on this topic try the search function or google it.

Last edited:
It's most likely the distributor has skipped a gear when re-installed.
With #1 cylinder at top dead center, distributor installed with the rotor pointing at the #1 plug wire. No fire, remove distributor and rotate the rotor 180 degrees and reinstall.

While cranking make sure oil pressure registers on your gauge if not re-install distributor. Another thing to check is the fuel delivery to the carb, it takes several cranks for the fuel to reach the carb. Check all electrical connections as well.

There are many threads on this topic try the search function or google it.
Shouldn't the rotor be pointing to #4 plug when you are at 9 deg TDC?

When i replaced my dizzy it was pointing to plug #4. Timing could be out, Take the air cleaner off make sure fuel is shooting into carb could be blocked with something. Are you getting power to the coil? pictures of your wiring.

I tried it at no. 4 but didn't make a difference but there is no spark for sure,coil is fine though

Did you put the rotor back on the dizzy? I left mine off once after a tune up.:oops:

Yea rotor is on. I wonder if it is the igniter module. (Switch from points to pertronix igniter couple years ago)

So you have spark going into the dizzy, just not coming out? make sure the cap is clean and the carbon button is functioning. It should still spark even if the timing is out. You have verified that power is getting to both the coil and dizzy then?

Remove the dizzy and make sure it did not drop the pinion at the shaft. Ask me how I know.

So I've tested the coil at a local parts store and they told me it was good using an ohms meter it was 9 ish but I'm not getting any spark on the cool plug that plugs into the center of dizzy.

you have tested the large BY wire that connects to coil+ while cranking to make sure we have power right at the coil?

the heavier gauge Black Yellow wire that connects to the coil+. Also how did you wire that dizzy up. If it has an ignitor built in it will want 12+ volt? and if it is hooked up to coil+ it will only be getting 9.5ish volts.

Do you mean the negative wire? And I have a pertronix igniter in there now instead of the points.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425442833.414525.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1425442913.533078.jpg

Let me know if it's clear.

not sure about yours but on my trollhole with internal ignitor black goes to Coil- and red wire goes to 12+ volts. Hard to tell from the wire colours not matching but there could be a wire problem

There is a heavier gauge wire on top of your coil there. attached to what looks to be a ballast resistor, at that BY wire there should be 12+ volts before entering that ballast resistor(check this voltage during cranking). The ballast resistor lowers voltage to coil at 9.5ish volts. Run a wire from the ballast resistor to coil+ this will power the coil. You can power the dizzy from coil+ or 12+ volts depending on dizzy requirments.

On my pertronix igniter I have two wires positive and negative and they both go to coil and I don't have that ballast resister anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom