Can't get driver's side CV shaft in (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm hoping someone has some words of wisdom and i'm just doing something wrong. I pulled the front diff in order to replace the cover. I only pulled the shafts at the diff, not the hubs. Everything went really smooth until I tried to re install the drivers side cv shaft into the diff. I CANNOT get it to go back in. It slides in to right at a 1" gap and won't go any further. I'm using straps to pull the hub up to get it as straight as possible, I've checked that the snap ring was installed correctly with the gap at the bottom several times. I've tried using a 2x2 piece of wood to pound it in and just broke the wood on the end. I also tried to pound it in using a 24" pry bar but still can't get it to go. The passenger side was no problem. I've taken out and re checked the snap ring orientation enough times that I damaged the oil seal and will have to replace it again, but hoping to figure out what I'm doing wrong before installing the seal. I've spent the last hour and a half searching, but not finding anyone else that had this much problem. Thanks for any help or advice...

The seal should be flush with the diff, not driven all the way in. At least that is true for the PS I assume the DS as well.

Did you remove the knuckle from the lower ball joint? It may be difficult to line up the axle in the diff without the extra room. What kind of angle are the CV joints at when you get it lined up with the diff?

When I did mine I leaned on it pretty good and it poped in. I didnt need to use a block of wood but I know some people do.

Last edited:
For me, one side went in fairly easily and I bumped the other in with a 2# hammer and a block of wood.

Make sure the snap ring opening is facing downward.

Bumped, not bashed, as in tap.

Went out this morning, lined everything up again, 2 light taps with the piece of wood and it went right in. My impatience always seems to bite me. This is definitely something that shouldn't be attempted in the dark in a poorly lit garage and an iPhone light. Thanks for the replies, purely operator error on this one. Unfortunately for me, I messed with it so much last night that I damaged the oil seal, so will have to wait until I can get a new one to finish this. :bang:

Yeah... If I had a dollar for every time things when fine after I stepped away for a bit I'd have a lot of dollars

I have destroyed many more parts with impatience than with neglect...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom