1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you talk down a car dealer?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by TeeDiggs, Mar 28, 2009.

1. TeeDiggs

TeeDiggs SILVER Star

Not sure if this should have gone somewhere else.... BUT, i have never much wanted to deal with an auto dealer, however a great LC has graced a lot not too far from me. Price is obviously a little more than what I was looking for...

Has anyone had much luck before, and is it possible to talk down the asking price much from a dealer? It's $10k, would i be lucky to shave $500 off? what's your thoughts...

I gotta try either way... thanks for any & all advice! :D

2. calstyl2

calstyl2

You got cash? walk in with 7500 or 8K and say take it or leave it, times are tough in the auto industry.

3. calstyl2

calstyl2

Best not be an 80 series, those things are dirt cheap these days..........

4. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

Oh yeah, you can bargain with them.

You may get different advise, but this is how I do it:

1) Decide how much it is worth to you and what you are willing to spend.

2) Tell them you wn't spend $1 more than that for it.

3) They say "I can't do that."

4) You say "OK, thanks for you time then. Bye."

5) They chase you on your way out the door. You tell them that you're not wasting your time unless they can meet the price.

6) Salesdouche goes to get the manager.

7) Reiterate your offer to manager. Make sure he knows that you won't spend $1 more than that. Not 50 cents, even.

8) He will counter-offer more than your offer, because he "...can't possibly sell it for that much..." You say "Thank you, bye" and make for the door.

9) at this point, if they chase you again, you know that they can indeed sell the vehicle for lower than the asking price. If they don't chase after you, you know that they paid too much for it, and you should be glad you're not about to make the same mistake they did.

10) Repeat steps 7-9, often for a couple hours.

I have used this technique successfully with both new and used cars. The trick is to know what is a fair market value for the vehicle. Don't offer them something that is an insult. You can see what the probably paid for it by the trade in value on KBB.com Offer them a fair price that allows them to make money, but stnad your ground.

You'll know you're getting a good deal when they're screaming at you "For God's sake man, it's only $500!!!!!!" That happened to me once at a Toyota dealer. It was funny. I eventually got them to shave that $500 off and meet my price.

5. 76FJ40

76FJ40 Old Fart SILVER Star

I usually pay the sticker price and add on a nice tip because the salesman is always so polite.

6. Wile E Coyote

Wile E Coyote Dave's not here! SILVER Star

You too? ;)

7. WristPin

WristPin

My pants are down before i even walk in the door. do that and then they know you mean business

8. Pighead

Pighead Stop calling it an FJ SILVER Star

Y'know, I had heard that about you, Wristy...but not just at car dealerships....

9. cruiser88

cruiser88

Ask my wife...........I just tell them what I am going to pay:meh:

10. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

I actually just went through buying a used car to replace my wife's car that was totaled in an accident. One dealer was willing to negotiate but wouldn't come down as far as I wanted, (he came down 16%.) Another dealer that had a similar car on the lot, priced in a similar way based on KBB, wouldn't budge. I was surprised but it was a Saturn dealer, home of the no haggle price. I guess it applies to used SAABs also. Both dealers pulled out their pricing sheets to convince me that they were already at the rock bottom price. I waited a week to see if the first guy would come down further but he didn't. I ended up buying that one for what I thought was a good price and being confident that I coudn't have done any better.

11. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

Yeah, being in a position of having to buy a car due to an unplanned event puts you at a bit of a disadvantage. I think they can smell the blood in the water when you need a car, as opposed to just wanting one. Also, you just don't have the time to be patient to wait for a better deal.

12. Foreigner

Foreigner

Never pay sticker price for anything that involves a salesman. They are there for a reason. They're trying to rope you into a deal and you should play the same game. Items like vehicles, jewelry, antiques, etc. are marked up so much that the seller can (and will) cut a deal with someone willing to take the time. But they're also plenty willing to take the shirt off your back if you walk in offering it to them.

$.02

13. TeeDiggs

TeeDiggs SILVER Star

sisukid1975, thanks for the help! that helps a bunch. I think i might just do that. if it doesnt work out, oh well. Like i said i really shouldnt be doing it now so maybe it will be my own little crazy way of saying "i wasn't supposed to have that one"

other than that, this thread was cracking me up... that's definaty why i started it, cause I usually find my pants at the ankles and have no recollection of what just happened. They might drug ya too if your not careful! :hillbilly:

14. Tofudebeest

Tofudebeest

This is a joke thread, right?

A similar question would be...

Can you get a crack smoking whore to give you a rusty trombone?

15. jjbodean1970

jjbodean1970

these two statements have no corellation to one another. just cause he sets his own budget doesnt mean its not unrealistically low and that the dealer paid too much. dealer may be on the $$$ and buyer is smoking crack.

16. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

You've got a decent swing there, but you'll get more accuracy with better follow-though.

17. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

This method of negotiation will greatly decrease the odds of both parties agreeing to a transaction of any kind. You rarely want to create a situation where one party must swallow their pride to make a concession. Developing a strategy contingent upon both the salesman and sales manager coming to you begging for your business will cause failure more times than not.

Prepare yourself well for the negotiation. Research the market value. If you plan on financing the vehicle be familiar with current rates. Develop a list of market factors that help to justify your position of a lower price. Arrive at the lot, go into the office, and ask if there is someone available who will show you the vehicle. Don't talk price. If they immediately try to drag you into a price discussion let them know you haven't had time yet to evaluate the vehicle. Don't let on that you have any special knowledge of cruisers. Play dumb and see what new info they'll give you. Often the most powerful tool you have in a negotiation is to simply "shut up" and listen. Sellers hate silence and will often begin rattling on to make the situation more comfortable for them, this will present a chance to learn more. Ask if you can take the vehicle to have it inspected, even if you plan on doing it yourself. Based on your inspection, add to your list of items that further justify your postion.

Let the seller be the first to address the issue of price. If you drag things out long enough they'll eventually bring it up. If you let them bring it up first they'll often offer a discount right from the beginning as by this point they've likely already exhausted all non-price methods of trying to motivate the sale. Even if their offer is below your target purchase price, counter with something lower but keep it reasonable. When you make your counter offer be sure to do it with sincerity. Let them know that if it's accepted you'll absolutely purchase the vehicle. If you reach a stalemate in the negotiotion of price begin to explore non-price concessions. For instance, maybe they can't sell the vehicle for $X but they could throw in an extended warranty etc.

If you arrive at the point where the deal doesn't look like it will happen politely excuse yourself. Don't storm out. Explain that you have another appointment and have ran out of time. This will leave the door open for them to give you a follow up call without having to swallow their pride. It will also afford you the same option if you decide to return to the dealer the next day.

18. WarDamnEagle

WarDamnEagle

I think you have received some great advice but FWIW, I'll chime in with mine. I usually know what I want, what I will pay and what is on their lot before I go in. If I need to test drive the vehicle then I let whatever sales person greets me help me with that activity.

I then tell said salesperson what I will give for the car (-$500 or so) and I ask to speak to the sales manager. They generally want to do everything but involve the sales manager. After 10 minutes or so of this I usually hand them my card with the price written on the back (the lower price) and tell them that I have to go (appointment, work, pick up the children, etc.). About 50% of the time they insist that I see the sales manager. The other 50% they don't. They always phone within a day or so and we always make a deal between my written price and my (self perceived) bottom line. It helps if you can write a check or at least have external financing lined up so the discussion doesn't become multi-dimensional. You want to keep the discussion simple; it's all about the price.

You have to put yourself in a position to give a little so that they can save a bit of face but you also always have to be willing to walk. I always save a lot of time by walking on purpose and then leaving the ball in their court. It's worse than silence to a sales guy.

19. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

It never has with me. :meh:

Sure you do, as long as you're not the one swallowing. If I leave there with them thinking I'm a nice guy, chances are that I ****ed up and paid too much. The worse they hate me when I leave, the better a job I did.

They need my business a hell of lot more than I need theirs. I have money, they want it. What they have can be gotten a mile down the road at the next dealership. I'm not there to make friends, or to make them feel good about themselves. I'm there to get the most __________ for the least money possible. If they want to feel better about themselves and what they do for living, they can find another line of work, such as robbing old ladies of their social security checks at gunpoint.

Really, don't worry about their self esteem: For every customer like me they get who is as much of a prick as they themselves are, there are nine more that they can **** over at will.

20. Liam

Liam

i can get your wife to give me one let alone a crack smoking whore........oh wait, nevermind.......