1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you switch reg. doors w/ Amby's?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by jford, Jul 23, 2003.

1. jford

jford

Simple question... Can you switch swing gate and hatch with amby doors? I realize that you would have to put a hinge on the top, but does one of the bottom hinges line up? Thanks

Jford.

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I do not believe the lower door hinge holes line up. You also need a different crossmember at the top and the latch hardware at the bottom.

3. jford

jford

Ok, I can see that, but do they match up with the top and tub? I figured on some mods to the hinges, and what not. I'm looking to buy one that doesn't have amby doors, but at some point would like to convert.

4. Gumby

The big square hole in the back of the truck is the same size once you take the doors out.

5. xumFJ40

xumFJ40

So the real question is...

Is there a more astetically pleasing option for a '75 plus w/o a hard top than the aluminium rectangel that covers the amby void?

6. Gumby

Fit a pair or quarter doors or try and find an old tailgate style. Or weld two quater doors together to make the old tailgate style.

7. offcamber40

offcamber40

I agree with what gumby just said. I just bought a set of pre 75 half door with all hardware for about 70.00. Thats the same price as one of the filler panels.. I have to do a little rust repair and spray them, but I think it will be a much nicer appearance. The lower hinges will have to be drilled, and a couple of other holes, but other than that, it looks like it will be a fairly clean install..

Hope this helps,

Mike

8. xumFJ40

xumFJ40

Ok...because that is what I was thinking about doing. I guess that I was confused by the start of this thread and thought someone was saying the the pre '75 dutch style doors would not fit on a later model.

Thanks

9. Gumby

You would need to drill new holes for the hinges and a hole in the floor for the inner door latch, otherwise they fit.