can you grow and smoke your own tobacco?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by concretejungle, Jul 30, 2007.

1. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Just curious. Especially now that the government is trying to tax us right out of smoking, and me living in NC, it's a raw deal for a bunch of farmers. So that got me thinking, can an individual grow his own tobacco in his garden, dry it, cure it and then smoke it? Is it legal, or does uncle sam want to tax that also?

2. '74 UA FJ

'74 UA FJ

Whatever you do on your own property is your own business, as far as I'm concerned.

3. whodat

whodat

Good question, it would be missing much of the toxin addititives though. What fun is that?

4. wob

wob

I wish I could get that kind of raw deal from the govt. that was the tobacco allotment buyout. I know a few farmers around here who pocketed well over a million dollars.

5. wob

wob

Yep. You are free to grow and smoke your own, but without the additives, and the cost of curing the tobacco, you probably won't enjoy it.

6. '74 UA FJ

'74 UA FJ

I was thinking about the tobacco allotments too. Not too raw of a deal I don't think. I'm not sure what percentage of tobacco growers have those though...

7. Jman

Jman

Phew, that's a relief! :rolleyes:

"Fire up the still, fellas, we're in the clear! . . . "

:flipoff2:

8. fsusteve

fsusteve

We have a lot of grow houses around here.......oh wait, what kind of tobacco are we talking about again?

9. wob

wob

The growers and the land owners each had one. Many farmers who owned land got to double dip.

10. '74 UA FJ

'74 UA FJ

I think many farmers are way over compensated by the govt. I don't think that a farmer making over $100k/year should be subsidized by the govt. There are lots of rich farmers out there getting paid even more by the gov. That money could be used better elsewhere.

11. White Shark

White Shark

Hmmm....that wouldn't be whacky tobaccy would it?

:D

They grow plenty of that around here. They don't call it the Emerald Triangle in Nor Cal for nothing.

The Red Traingle, on the other hand, refers to white shark feeding territory.

12. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily... SILVER Star

$100k gross or net?

would that be the farmer's salary or the net income for the farm?

is $100k considered rich?

13. fsusteve

fsusteve

not here, you'd starve here on that.

14. wob

wob

I consider it rich here. When you work roughly six months out of the year, your house on the farm is paid for, and your vehicles are all paid for by the farm. Your free time is spent on the farm, hunting, fishing, or just dicking around. I guess I consider the lifestyle rich, not just the bottom line. Larger farmers have a lifestyle that most people cannot afford. Of course, you can never just start farming to make a living out of the blue if you aren't already wealthy.

15. koop

koop

Not to mention that John Camp Melloncouger and Willie Nelson will come and play at your daughters birthday party.

16. calico kid

calico kid

what dose the ATF do :confused:

I think it's illegal to grow your own tobacco

it's a tax thing

17. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

the nicotine content of home grown tobacco of the same amount is not half of what you'll get in a commercially sold average cigarette - and the nicotine buzz is what people smoke cigarettes for (or use chewing tobacco for)

it's not the nicotine in the tobacco that's the culprit, everything else is worse for you healthwise

[I am not an MD]

18. wob

wob

lol.

It's not illegal to grow tobacco. It is illegal to sell untaxed cigarettes. I assume it is illegal to grow tobacco and sell untaxed cigarettes from your crop. ;) It's just not cost effective to go it alone in the homemade cigarette business.

19. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

talking about real tabacco here, not wacky tabaccy!

I was wondering if it's a tax issue or just illegal to grow. Is it kinda like a moonshine deal where you can make some for personal consumption but you can't sell it?

I would imagine that with connections you could get some of the strains of tobacco that the "regular" farmers grow that would have the same chemical content of marketed tobacco?

20. wob

wob

I think the additives are what "makes" a cigarette. You probably wouldn't even recognize home grown as being close to store bought.