can i put a non e-locker diff on a elocked rear axel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my e-locker died and I need my 1995 LC as my daily driver. I have access to a non locked rear diff can I swap that in until I get my locked diff sorted out.

I think the housings are different.

Yes you can.

the actuator is dead. I cant reinstall the rear diff with out it working. so can I just put a non e-lock diff in there? 1/2 say yes 1/2 say you cant.. great.

aahhh. the only way to reinstall my elocked diff is to remove the locker fork and asso. parts. the concern is that the axel shaft is not connected to anything on that side and would be flopping around in there. is this assumption accurate ? yes no?

If it's just to DD, wrap the diff hole, duct tape the axle holes, to keep debris out, lock the cdl, and drive in FWD.

Last edited:
aahhh. the only way to reinstall my elocked diff is to remove the locker fork and asso. parts. the concern is that the axel shaft is not connected to anything on that side and would be flopping around in there. is this assumption accurate ? yes no?

Installing your E-locked diff without the locker actuator and locking collar will be just fine. The axleshaft still engages the side gear just like a non-locked diff would.

Just wondering for my own curosity, I thought I remembered reading someplace that while a nonlocked 3rd can go in a locked housing, you just have to pull the actuator and collar and fab up a block off plate for the actuator hole???

Just wondering for my own curosity, I thought I remembered reading someplace that while a nonlocked 3rd can go in a locked housing, you just have to pull the actuator and collar and fab up a block off plate for the actuator hole???

For the rear axle, the hole for the actuator is in the third member, not the housing. If you bolt a non-locked third into the hole, everything will be fine. (there are stud length differences though)

In the front, the notch to clear the actuator fork is larger--enough that it might protrude past the edge of a non-locked third member. In addition, some of the studs are in different locations. Bottom line, it would be much more difficult to put a non-locked third into the front axle.

If the actuator doesn't work, but you still have it, take off the shift fork and collar, put the actuator back in place and leave it unplugged!

For the rear axle, the hole for the actuator is in the third member, not the housing. If you bolt a non-locked third into the hole, everything will be fine. (there are stud length differences though)

In the front, the notch to clear the actuator fork is larger--enough that it might protrude past the edge of a non-locked third member. In addition, some of the studs are in different locations. Bottom line, it would be much more difficult to put a non-locked third into the front axle.
I came across this comment because I'm researching remedies for my bent 80-series axles (factory lockers). I'm wondering what would be involved in taking the 3rd member from my locked axles and combining with the non-locked axle housings. I know that with the front axle, there is a notch in the locked axle housing that is not on the unlocked housing (thus front unlocked housings need to be notched to accept a locked 3rd) - but I am unclear whether or not the rear axle is the same (or will a locked 3rd member fit with an unlocked housing just fine). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

a non-locked rear third will drop right into a housing made for a locked third. However a few studs are longer when you have a locked third so those would have to be swapped out with the shorter ones.
I came across this comment because I'm researching remedies for my bent 80-series axles (factory lockers). I'm wondering what would be involved in taking the 3rd member from my locked axles and combining with the non-locked axle housings. I know that with the front axle, there is a notch in the locked axle housing that is not on the unlocked housing (thus front unlocked housings need to be notched to accept a locked 3rd) - but I am unclear whether or not the rear axle is the same (or will a locked 3rd member fit with an unlocked housing just fine). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom