Can A Sequoia Be An Off Roader? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sure it can be a wheeler. Great base to build a great family wheeler.
DSC_0182.jpg
DSC_0190.jpg
DSC_0185.jpg

I thought you sold that thing??? It is certainly, bad ass.

Best option for a budget Sequoia wheeler would be Bilstein 5100s, 33's and a Toyota E-locker.

Here's mine. The Sequoia has limits from a size perspective. I'm sure not going to be doing any jeep trails or rock crawling but for light/medium trail duty it works awesome. I still have to get rock rails, skid plates and a few other things but it will be a tame off roader.

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3625.jpg

steven

Stripped the doors off in preps for the custom tube doors. Here are some really geigh flex shots of the Suckohyea in 3 wheel drive because of a blown D60 hub gear.

But I am very happy with the results.
apit1.jpg
apit 2.jpg
apit3.jpg

Wow, that is by far the best looking Sequoia I have ever seen!
Now personally, if debating between a 100 series and a sequoia, I'd go with the 100 series. My mom has an 02 Sequoia and I drive a 99 Land Cruiser. If you can find a 100 series with the factory lockers, you would never have to worry offroad. A sequoia, however, will take more modification to reach satisfactory off road capabilities. I've driven my mom's around our farm before, and in the mucky stuff, my Land Cruiser way outperformed it. Even through sand the Land Cruiser did much better.

Great opinion, so here goes mine. I personally own a 100 series (03 lx470) and the SAS Sequoia.. The LExus Basically the loaded up version of the LC WITH factory rear locker. Compared to a Sequoia bones for bones, the 100 series is a toughter truck. both have solid fully boxed frames, Both have the 2UZFE engine and transmission, both are factory 4:10 gears. they have different transfercases. The rear axles are the same (R and P sizes), and the front IFS is different (the Lexus has a bigger R and P, but the CV shafts of of the same thickness. Both have the linked rear suspension, and the Lexus has bigger A arms on the front IFS. the LC100 is a heavier truck than compared to a Sequoia. Comparing my Sequoia with my 100 series, the Sequoia BAR NONE, is a bigger, lighter truck that averages 18.9mpg HAULING ass the down the highway loaded with kids, gear, and dogs.... TE 100 series SUCKS ASS in Fuel... I average, loaded with gear and hauling ass down the highway, about 14 mog on a good day. I personaly feel that the Sequoia is a more comforatable vehicle for the long hauls. BUT you cant beat the hydrolic suspension on the Lexus for its ability to raise and lower the suspension and dial in its settings from sprt mode to "cadillac" mode...

Now her egoes the interesting part... I (after wheeling both trucks) feel that the ATRAC system on the Sequoia is FAR SUPERIOR to just having a rear locker on the 100 series... I took that Sequoia in places that it had NO BUSINESS BEING. as a stock truck, the ATRAC was a beast, and VERY reliable... just the rear locker on the Lexus is great, but not a beast off road beause once you loose the front traction, you basically lost the rear. My Lexus, would not go as far in the woods as my ATRAC'ed Sequoia would.

If I had a choice between the 2 rigs for a total package. I would choose the Sequoia over the 100 series. I love both my trucks, but for the total package, I would get a Sequoia ....

Good point, I personally just never quite figured out ATRAC offroad (never spent the time too), and you do bring up many good points. And yes, gas is awful with my 100. Costs an arm and a leg to fill the daggum thing up... But if choosing between the two, you really can't go wrong with either in my opinion. Just your personal preference. My younger sister is (as of now) supposed to get my mom's Sequoia next year, and she wants to do some off-road mods to (takes after her brother :) ). Off topic, but I showed her your SAS'd one, and she begged me to do that to it for her birthday haha. She fell in love it

All in all, they're both great trucks. I personally enjoy driving my 100 more than the Sequoia, but I enjoying riding in the Sequoia more as a passenger than my 100, and your family may feel the same. Just more comfortable down the road in the back seat it seems.

The Story on the ATRAC (the same system used on the FJ CRUISER (tested and wheeled by me till it BROKE) I was NOT a fan of "braking" traction control, Basically when a tire lifts off the ground, the ATRAC system senses it, and applies the brake to the spinning wheel, and forces the "other" wheel to spin. Kinda like a limited slip. I had my Sequoia up on 285's and wheel a ton of places on the rock in Choccolocco ORV park in Alabama. It work REALLY WELL. really shocked me!!!!! Other that frame height, the only thing that stopped the rig, was bottoming out, and taking the load off of all 4 tires. I did the "mini rubicon" at Chocco. with a LOT of spotter help, and she made it. I was again shocked... AND THEN!!!!

I was wheeling with a few friends at a rock pit in Florida. Going up a STEEp rocky wall, and basically going up a crevase with my drivers wheel about 4 foot off the ground, ATRAC doing the best she could. She still had traction, and I was moving forward, THEN BAM!!!!! the spider gears blew out of the front diff. sounded like a shotgun went off... then the ATRAC light started blinking... I laughed to myself when it happened because I realized I had just found the limits of the stock Sequoia 4x4 system. and that is when the SAS started///

Here is the interesting thing. I did the same thing to my Lexus LX470 on last years snowstorm. I got caught in a ditch in 2 foot of snow, and was trying to get out by rocking the vehicle out (she was doing great and moving forward) then BAM!!!! The front diff exploded.... after I tore it down, I realized that I had done the same to the Lexus,,, the spider gears failed (it is a common porblem in the 100 series LC after ordering up the gears from SLEE OFFROAD) The guy at Slee said it happens alot... I was surprised.

Basically, I am saying that IFS systems (under my foot) does not last very long on ANY vehicle that I drive. I think also, that Toyota really did a great job engineering the ATRAC system for mild offroading, I would have loved to see it integrated into a 100 series or the LX470 as an option for light/medium offroad. It has a proven trac record with the FJCRUISER.

No. I think only the "limited" versions do, and I am sure it is a rare thing. When I bought this Sequoia, I had it special ordered WITH the ATRAC.

Mine is a Limited but I see nothing marked ATRAC on it, is there a switch or indicator somewhere?

Yeah I believe the newer 100 series have ATRAC on them, mine's just a '99, so I didn't get all the fancy gadgets haha. But yeah IFS is not my favorite thing in the world... If you could do a SAS and keep the Sequoia's stock look you'd have a sweet almost "sleeper" family offroad vehicle. That would be pretty beastly

Great opinion, so here goes mine. I personally own a 100 series (03 lx470) and the SAS Sequoia.. The LExus Basically the loaded up version of the LC WITH factory rear locker. Compared to a Sequoia bones for bones, the 100 series is a toughter truck. both have solid fully boxed frames, Both have the 2UZFE engine and transmission, both are factory 4:10 gears. they have different transfercases. The rear axles are the same (R and P sizes), and the front IFS is different (the Lexus has a bigger R and P, but the CV shafts of of the same thickness. Both have the linked rear suspension, and the Lexus has bigger A arms on the front IFS. the LC100 is a heavier truck than compared to a Sequoia. Comparing my Sequoia with my 100 series, the Sequoia BAR NONE, is a bigger, lighter truck that averages 18.9mpg HAULING ass the down the highway loaded with kids, gear, and dogs.... TE 100 series SUCKS ASS in Fuel... I average, loaded with gear and hauling ass down the highway, about 14 mog on a good day. I personaly feel that the Sequoia is a more comforatable vehicle for the long hauls. BUT you cant beat the hydrolic suspension on the Lexus for its ability to raise and lower the suspension and dial in its settings from sprt mode to "cadillac" mode...

Now her egoes the interesting part... I (after wheeling both trucks) feel that the ATRAC system on the Sequoia is FAR SUPERIOR to just having a rear locker on the 100 series... I took that Sequoia in places that it had NO BUSINESS BEING. as a stock truck, the ATRAC was a beast, and VERY reliable... just the rear locker on the Lexus is great, but not a beast off road beause once you loose the front traction, you basically lost the rear. My Lexus, would not go as far in the woods as my ATRAC'ed Sequoia would.

If I had a choice between the 2 rigs for a total package. I would choose the Sequoia over the 100 series. I love both my trucks, but for the total package, I would get a Sequoia ....
Just read the description. From 2000 forward, FACTORY rear lockers were not available on the 100 series Land Cruisers or LX470s. Both had ATRAC only. Were you saying you added a rear locker on your '03 LX?

My 2001 sequoia does just fine off road

It's no extreme crawler nor a hard core prerunner but it gets from point a to point b whether it's on the road or off

As prices on these trucks continue to drop (it's really sort of crazy what a "good deal" they've become), I'm hoping more of the aftermarket will pick them up. Let's face it: a 4wd Toyota truck, with a 2UZ, ATRAC, and all the creature comforts, for +/- $6,000, is a pretty remarkable deal!

I currently have an 80 and a 100, and my son has a Sequoia. Based on my observations / experience with his, as soon as I can find the right one, a Sequoia will be my next acquisition.......

Hot rod guys have an old saying...speed costs, how fast do you want to go?

You can make anything wheel...just depends how much you want to spend. In a world where you can pick up a decent built mini truck for 5-7 grand how much is wheeling your Sequoia worth to you?

I pulled the trigger on an 03' Limited with only 86K miles on it and will picl it up from the dealer later today. It has already had the 90K service done too! It's a typical "old lady" deal that I have heard about but never had the opportunity to take advantage of. I might be over paying at $12,400, but honestly that is close to book value and this thing is clean! This thing is nice, still has the plastic on the DVD headsets!!! Same engine my 01' LX470 had...HUGE interior! And If I'm honest...I used my LX to it's real potential off road only a couple times. ATRAC is a very capable system that worked great on my LX.
The only problem with the Sequoia is that it is bone stock...no smashing into trees or bashing rocks for a while...logging roads and stuff only.
I am pretty excited to find this! I am now officially driving a soccer mom mobile that my buddies used to tease me about with my LX.

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but here's my '01 Sequoia. I take it off road all the time - nothing crazy, but it goes everywhere I used to take my CJ7. I was going to buy a new Rubicon 4 door, but for $44k, I decided that my narrower and shorter wheelbase Sequoia will do just fine. My winch gets me out of anything I shouldn't have tried, and so far it's done just fine. Toytech lift, BFG KM2's, Weld on Rock Sliders, home crafted winch mount, LINE-X on the stock bumpers and fender flares, and an electric speed controller to correct the shift rpm wit the 33"s. The only downfall to the Sequoia is lack of aftermarket parts, and the week front diff, and the fact it's a bit tall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom