Camping IN the 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I have 2 of these DAC tents sitting in the garage. Both are the truck ones. One is a mid size for a Tacoma and one is big for my tundra. Will those work or do I need to do the SUV version? I realize this thread is old ut hoping the mid size truck tent will fit the cruiser. If not I am going to order one. Love it for my tundra.

Campmor has a 20% off coupon for one item right now. I used it for this: DAC Full - Size Truck Tent | | Campmor

Also, the Explorer 2 seems to be the wrong tent for the 80. The DAC site says the Land Cruiser uses the Explorer 2 but it says the LX470 uses the Full-size truck tent. The explorer 2 is for SUVs with no tailgate. The 80 series tailgate is about 58 1/4 inches, making it suitable for the full-size tent.

This thread was super helpful to me so I figured I'd update it with my latest finding.

Last edited:
Show some pics of how the full size fits. I never had an issue with the Explorer 2 on my 80, it worked great.

I shall oblige! Truck is with a welder at the moment getting some work done. I should have it back this weekend.

The midsize tent and Explorer 2 are different. The main difference in the design is accommodating a full lift gate, like all minivans have, of a split lift and tailgate, like an 80, or a truck with a cap.

Ok, pics are coming. I set up the full size truck tent. It doesn't fit as well as I'd like but it does fit. The hatch needs to be closed ever so slightly and it makes it work.
^edit: further reading reveals that the hatch needing to be close a bit is by design and the truck tent is meant to hold it horizontal to prevent pooling of water, or so says the instructions.

@TOY350 , how far over the tailgate does the Explorer 2 come? The way the full size is designed, it only just comes over the lip.

I'll let the pics tell the rest.

Last edited:
Also @retrofive , how do you guys think it compares?

That's a 4x4 labs bumper on mine as well so good comparison

test fitted my existing tent the other day, it works but is too small, somehow awhile back I got the "midsize camper top tent", at least that is what the label says. It fits but there are gaps in the top and bottom corners where bugs are going to be a problem. I think I will order the explorer 2. Thx again.

Last edited:
I guess mine is the mid size camper top tent. The one that fits the 80 that is.

to clarify this is the one I have and it does NOT fit well, looks like since I purchased it they have changed their website to reflect that the explorer 2 is the one that should fit the 80 series.

I'm still not convinced Explorer 2 in the proper size. I'm waiting for Explorer owners to weigh in on my assessment of the full-size.

I'm still not convinced Explorer 2 in the proper size. I'm waiting for Explorer owners to weigh in on my assessment of the full-size.

well that is what they recc so I am going to go with that and see, I figure if it does not fit I can return it as they say clearly that it should fit. I will post pics.

I still have my Explorer 2 but haven't used it for quite some time. Have a RTT on the trailer for camping now. The Explorer 2 sits in the back of the rig just in case it is needed. When I ran it I didn't have any issues. I did have to stuff a towel or Tshirt in the corner of the tailgate though to prevent mosquitoes from maybe getting in. Overall worked great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom