Camping IN the 80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TOY350

#1 Super Guy
SILVER Star
Threads
This one if for you Ty:

I have 2 tents one for a full hatch (newer 4Runner) and one for lift gate/lift hatch. I pulled them both out and fit the 80 with the correct one just to make sure I knew which one was which. I should have taken this one our trip since it is fairly thick and would have stood up to rain with no problem. The extra space afforded by keeping the gate open would have been welcomed for sure. If anyone is interested in the full hatch one that I used on our 4Runner back in the day you can have it for $40. It is in excellent condition.
Tent1.jpg
Tent2.jpg
Tent4.jpg

Here's the tag if you want to try and track one down Ty:
Tent5.jpg

SWEET! I definitely will be looking into one of those. Thats perfect. Ya this weekend you guys would have had no problems setting up like that :) Thanks!

I guess mine is the mid size camper top tent. The one that fits the 80 that is.

It might be a problem because the swing out may interfere with it being pulled over the back all the way.

?? Isn't the same on the tire swingout side as the other side in the middle pic?

No prob clearing my 4x4 Labs. I'm not sure what the manufacturer is saying won't work. Maybe a factory swingout on a full hatch if they even make those? It just goes over the tailgate a bit and fully over the the hatch and then comes in along the sides.

Hey Garett out of curiosity how well does that thing seal up for bugs and whatnot?

Well if you know me then you know I wouldn't be running it if I couldn't keep the bugs out! It does well but I need to stuff a shirt or towel in the corners for good measure. If the sides by the sliding windows are an issue a couple of magnets stick the tent tight to the rig. But like I said the holes are at the sides of the tailgate where it hinges but is easily taken care of. I will be running it on our pre-run, will probably have you help me unload my cargo barrier again :D

LOL, sweet on both accounts. That will actually be pretty be cool to see it in action. Im packing all my campin stuff, but who knows since Im flying solo my just use the truck again.

Well if you know me then you know I wouldn't be running it if I couldn't keep the bugs out! It does well but I need to stuff a shirt or towel in the corners for good measure. If the sides by the sliding windows are an issue a couple of magnets stick the tent tight to the rig. But like I said the holes are at the sides of the tailgate where it hinges but is easily taken care of. I will be running it on our pre-run, will probably have you help me unload my cargo barrier again :D

and again, and again :flipoff2: hehe

Anyway pulled the trigger on one. Hope its the right size. Got the same one as your pic of the tag (explorer 2)

Way to dig up an old one!

And many thanks to you and Knolly for packing my sh!t up at Deer Creek. I felt like hell but it only lasted a day or so thankfully.

I will be running the tent on the pre-run and might need your help with my cargo barrier Ty. :D

Way to dig up an old one!

And many thanks to you and Knolly for packing my sh!t up at Deer Creek. I felt like hell but it only lasted a day or so thankfully.

I will be running the tent on the pre-run and might need your help with my cargo barrier Ty. :D

Glad your feeling better :D

This one if for you Ty:

I have 2 tents one for a full hatch (newer 4Runner) and one for lift gate/lift hatch. I pulled them both out and fit the 80 with the correct one just to make sure I knew which one was which. I should have taken this one our trip since it is fairly thick and would have stood up to rain with no problem. The extra space afforded by keeping the gate open would have been welcomed for sure. If anyone is interested in the full hatch one that I used on our 4Runner back in the day you can have it for $40. It is in excellent condition.
View attachment 304749View attachment 304750View attachment 304751

I'm SO confused...are the pictures shown of the Med. Size DAC SUV tent or the Explorer 2? Why is retrofive recommending the Explorer 2 in other posts.? Does the Explorer 2 actually fit better? One last question, does the bug screen unzip horizontally at its bottom so you can still sit on the tailgate? Thank you in advance.

I'm SO confused...are the pictures shown of the Med. Size DAC SUV tent or the Explorer 2? Why is retrofive recommending the Explorer 2 in other posts.? Does the Explorer 2 actually fit better? One last question, does the bug screen unzip horizontally at its bottom so you can still sit on the tailgate? Thank you in advance.
:lol: I'm lost too! I've been asked again and again which model I ended up getting. The site shows the Explorer 2, but I swear mine is the SUV mid size, which should fit 58" across the tailgate. A friend has mine right now so can't look.

Yes, it is a upside down T zipper, you can unzip vert and side to side and tie up the screen and canvas to the side.

LOVE IT. Sorry can be more help at the moment.

Mine is the Explorer 2 as shown in the pics and still works great to this day, will be using it next weekend.

Okay, finally got one and for what it's worth the website has a recommended model for popular SUVs. They recommended the Explorer 2 for the LC and that is what I ordered. Here are the pics of the fit. Was hoping the bottom zipper part would be closer or under the tailgate more instead of above it because I like to sit on the tailgate. Still can, but corners of the bottom opening reduce the sitting area a little and pulls the tent down a little bit too. Still...I'm glad to have it. :)

20150727_171006.jpg

20150727_171427.jpg

20150727_170942.jpg

Looks good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom