BVSV questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In removing my BVSV's I broke the violet/purple one a la #...05035
I ordered one online, for a handsome fee and it's on the way.

The one that is apparently discontinued, a la the pink one #...05046 made it out ok so far and I plan to put it back to work. I was going to get a spare just in case but am finding them rather hard to locate.

Questions;
1. Anyone got a spare pink one or a connect where they can be found?
2. Any ideas on how to clean my one and only pink one - or should I leave it well enough alone? I've heard of people soaking valves, etc. in a bag with Seafoam overnight...I'd like to keep this thing functional seeing as how it's likely my only one, but with my luck I'd ruin it trying to clean it.

Update;
In doing the BVSV check as outlined in the emissions manual, I think my surviving pink one is inop (I can blow air through the valve while it's cold...if I'm reading this correctly it should be shut until it warms up). So....maybe back to question #1.

How critical are these specific colors / temps. There are a number of BVSV's in service throughout numerous Toyota cars and trucks, but are different colors & part #'s so presumably somewhat different activating temps. Are any close enough to be used as a substitute? It's aggravating that I can find BVSV's for an old Celica all day long for $20 but nothing for the Cruisers. Is it that specific?

Ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:
Both BVSVs delay the actuation of their connected device until the engine warms up.

The upper one delays the function of the EGR valve until the coolant warms up, to prevent bucking and hesitation when the engine is cold.

The bottom one is used for the choke opener to prevent the choke from working as a choke once the coolant/engine heats up.

The BVSVs are convenience vacuum switching do dads governed by temperature.

If you wanted temperature controlled EGR and the CO, but did not have replacement BVSVs, you could always just route the vacuum hoses through electrically controlled VSV solenoids and manually flip their switches once the engine had warned up a tad.

Not as convenient, but it would work fine.

I think I have a new uninstalled pink one laying about. I desmogged my "60 so do not need it. IM if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom