Buttons, knobs, and lights. Oh my! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Everyone please forgive my ingnorance. I'm going to swallow my pride and ask some seemingly simple stuff. Please remember this is the first deisel I've owned and the "most equipped" 4x4 I've owned. So here goes.

Engage 4 low:
- stop truck
- put in neutral
- pull t-case shifter to "L4"

Engage 4 high
- stop truck
- put in neutral
- pull t-case shifter to "L4"
- press "H4" button

Hub lock button:
- for situations that require the use of 4wd but don't nessecitate the need to lock the diffs. Not to be used in conditions which would not allow tire slip to compensate for uneven turns of the axels (i.e. Doing a u-turn on asphalt)

Diff lock knob:
For use in 4wd when traction is at a premium such as deep mud/snow/sand of off-camber (axel twisting sections). Should be used sparingly. Usually as a last resort prior to performing recovery procedures or when negotiating obstacles with unknown requirements.

Lastly, what is this knob

image.jpg

Hi there,

Your truck has electric locking hubs by the sound of things. On my truck which has manual locking hubs, I have to put my hubs in "Lock" before I can engage 4wd. So I'm thinking you have to press your hub lock button before changing into 4wd, but don't quote me!

That last picture is your hand throttle. Wind it clockwise (I think) and it will raise your idle and hold it there. Useful for cold starts when your motor won't always idle nicely straight off the bat.

Hope that helps.

Josh

I will tale the knob question.

Manual throttle. Turn it clockwise to increase throttle, counter clockwise to reduce. Good for PTO operations or idling up to warm up engine. Or off reading, to minimize occuance of stalling. Very bad idea to try to use it as a cheap cruise control.

[Authour's Note: Wow, the auto-correct on my smart phone had an interesting interpretation of my attempt to text and drive at the same time. Note to self... set the manual throttle as a cheap cruiser control so I can concentrate on texting]

Last edited:
I will tale the knob question.

Manual throttle. Turn it clockwise to increase throttle, counter clockwise to reduce.... Very bad idea to try to use it as a cheap cruise control.

That was going to be my next question. Is it bad for CC because of engine damage, or because the brakes don't override the throttle? I assume both just curious.

It basically just pushes your accelerator pedal down further, the more you wind it in, and vice versa when you wind it out.

So when you slow down from motorway speeds and forget to unwind it, your pedal will still be wound in to go at motorway speeds.

That was going to be my next question. Is it bad for CC because of engine damage, or because the brakes don't override the throttle? I assume both just curious.

Just incredibly dangerous because the brakes dont over ride it. Great for crawling on extremely rough ground in low ratio to maintain engine speed.

When you're going into 4 high you just leave the tcase shifter in H2 and hit the H4 button.

So much easier! Thank you! Can 4 high be safely engaged in the fly? If so do you happen to know the upper limit of speed?

So much easier! Thank you! Can 4 high be safely engaged in the fly? If so do you happen to know the upper limit of speed?

I don't know anything about engaging hubs on the fly but assuming your hubs are already locked it certainly can. I'll do that in snowy conditions, just let off the throttle or clutch in, hit the H4 button and keep going. I wouldn't go much faster than 55 mph in high 4.

Sounds good. I ask because the roads here are super slippery when wet. I don't think my truck can go 55 down hill with a tail wind so I should be safe. Kidding, I had her out today at 100 clicks (62-ish) but that about all she had.

In high 2 I can comfortably run at 110, but 115 starts to get rough. But that's pretty altitude dependent too.

I think my issues is mostly worn suspension and steering bits combined with an obnoxious lift. All of which should be reaced in relatively short order. The motor thus far has shown to be superb.

My troopy has hit a 140 and my old 3F in the FJ73 once hit 150 on Hwy 1 :cool:

I don't know anything about engaging hubs on the fly but assuming your hubs are already locked it certainly can. I'll do that in snowy conditions, just let off the throttle or clutch in, hit the H4 button and keep going. I wouldn't go much faster than 55 mph in high 4.

Generally speaking, for all 4x4 systems, it's actually better to engage 4-high while the truck is rolling at a low speed (this is assuming the hubs are already locked, of course, whether manually or electronically), because the wheelspin helps the gears engage. The same is true for disengaging 4-high. Low speed = 5mph.

I would never drive in 4-high on pavement, unless it's extremely slick or snowy, and definitely never above about 50mph. Unnecessary wear if not outright damage to the transfer case. If you feel like you need 4-high at that speed, you're probably driving too fast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom