Burial for my 80...birth of a 200! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello mud,

I posted this in the 200 section as well but thought the 80 guys might like the story as well.

This story is a testament to the strength of these vehicles. I have a '94 80 that has carried me and my family everywhere. We've put 275K miles on her and she has never once left us stranded. Kudos to both the build quality of the platform and many many thanks to all of you and the invaluable advice of the Ih8mud community.

Unfortunately, about 4 months ago I was traveling on a two lane back road, probably going about 60-65mph, when a flatbed eighteen wheeler obviously didn't see me coming and decided to take a left turn in front of me, leaving me simply nowhere to go. I veered off the road to avoid the flatbed, careened into a ditch and slammed the passenger side of the truck into an embankment. The truck rolled and flipped over end to end. I landed on the front tires and eventually came to rest on all four facing the opposite direction, back on the road...the truck suffered heavy body and frame damage but was still running. I unfortunately, also suffered some damage - 3 broken ribs and a couple broken bones in my left hand. After assessing the damage and looking the truck over and furiously wondering if I could ever find the driver of the 18 wheeler (no, he didn't stop), I hopped back in the truck and limped back home.

IMHO, that truck saved my life. I think most cars/trucks simply would have disintegrated, exploded or imploded. While the damage is extensive and the frame is obviously bent, the overall damage is shockingly minimal. Not a single window broke and after replacing most lights and turn signals, if you look at it from the driver's side you can barely tell. Anyways, here is a couple pics.

Her glory days!

The damage.

LC-limping by Buddysuede posted May 27, 2015 at 12:55 PM
another angle
LC-today by Buddysuede posted May 27, 2015 at 12:55 PM
front shot.

A special shout out to @beno. The day after the accident, I apparently sheared a caliper bolt during the wreck. Onur overnighted that baby to me and I'm forever grateful for the unbelievable service that kept that truck working for me.

Anyways, on to the reason I'm posting this in the 200 section. After an extensive search, I'm now the proud owner of this beautiful 2008 LC. As an homage to my previous LC, I stuck with a similar color combo, Amazon green metallic with a grey interior. I paid 28K for her and she's got 120K on the clock...just getting broken in. The boys over at @ACC Toyota are going to be handling this one. If you are ever in Alt and need some work done, these guys are it. Let the mods begin! I'll update this post as the build moves along.
new 200 by Buddysuede posted May 27, 2015 at 1:08 PM
new_LC by Buddysuede posted May 27, 2015 at 2:12 PM
Amazon_green_metallic by Buddysuede posted May 27, 2015 at 2:12 PM
interior by Buddysuede posted May 27, 2015 at 1:08 PM
alt-interior by Buddysuede posted May 27, 2015 at 1:10 PM

Funny side note, my daughter calls this site IEatDirt instead of Ih8mud. "Daddy, are you on IEatDirt again?"

Last edited:
I saw many 2008s in the 32-35K range with 70-90k on the clock. I waited awhile to pull the trigger on this one. They had it listed at 30K and got them down to 28K out the door.

yet another "believe it or not" crash story of an 80!!!! makes me feel confidant with my three kids in the back.

yet another "believe it or not" crash story of an 80!!!! makes me feel confidant with my three kids in the back.

The precious cargo we carry in the back is worth having an internal roll cage, hopefully I can get one done by the end of the year.

Congrats on your 200 series!!!

Unless you are driving with race car helmets on I would strongly recommend against a roll cage in a vehicle used on the road. I have seen the aftermath of soft head meets hard roll bar..... The bar won and the driver is no more and the passenger is a vegetable.

Sorry OP great looking replacement.

Unless you are driving with race car helmets on I would strongly recommend against a roll cage in a vehicle used on the road. I have seen the aftermath of soft head meets hard roll bar..... The bar won and the driver is no more and the passenger is a vegetable.

Sorry OP great looking replacement.

I'm going to have to agree with this. In my case, with the particulars of this wreck, I think I would have fared much worse with a roll cage present depending on its placement. If it was at the top of the drivers side door and down the a-pillar it could have been fatal. Plus, I am truly amazed at how strong the upper rear quarter and roof of the truck was anyways - strong enough to literally launch the truck into the air.

WOW! 100k miles already? My 80 series has only 80k... And we are the first owners.. Lmfao. Long way to go

Thank you. An 80 with only 80 is pretty rare these days. I've seen people asking over 15k for them with that low of miles. Congrats and enjoy that thing. The value is only going up.

I can't believe my eyes, that truck looks fantastic for any sort of 60mph accident, much less a rollover. Your guardian angel was watching over you, buddy. Nice 200. If I had the stomach to scratch and dent one of those up, I would almost consider it.

Glad you are ok but there is no such thing a an 80 substitute! Rebuild or stand ringside brother!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom