Bump stop retainer can lip hitting front part of coils??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GW Nugget

Do the best you can with what you have...
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Hey all, tell me I'm not alone on this...
Under compression my front bump stop retainer is clipping the coil. My bump stop is also hitting the forward half & to the outside of the axle pad. Has anyone experienced this also? Here is some pics & vid.
Screenshot_2016-05-22-15-12-07.png
Screenshot_2016-05-22-15-13-50.png
Screenshot_2016-05-22-15-12-49.png

I would assume this is happening under extreme articulation only? also, is the axle even on both sides?(tires sticking out evenly) what i'm getting at, could the pan hard need to be lengthened.....

i had this same issue a while back when i switched from j springs (tjm) brand to iron man 2" in the front. turned out i had too much caster correction. i had slee plates with the j springs. once i removed the caster plates no more clipping but now my caster is out of spec with the 2" iron mans. details in this thread:

help needed with Ironman 2" front spring install

:doh:
That's it!
Thanks @mercedeezel it is to much caster.
I have the OME yellow (2°) plus the 2"MAF drop brackets that's like 5°. Since my yellow bushings are shot, I'll will go back to OEM then I should be all good.
Some times it takes a community.

I would assume this is happening under extreme articulation only? also, is the axle even on both sides?(tires sticking out evenly) what i'm getting at, could the pan hard need to be lengthened.....
It's not that... but I do want to add, anytime you add with a longer pan rod it looks good on pavement but under full compression say on the rear it pushes out the driver side tire to far out & possibly have contact with the flare if you have them.

That is why you have to find a happy medium! Not too hot and not too cold....just right!

they rub on the sides when the coil towers bend normally [thats why we got under chassis bump stops on aug 92 on models in Aus]

They can also touch on the front depending on caster set up too, easy fix is run the flapper disc around the lip of the bump stop cup and take it back to flush with the side of the can.

That is why you have to find a happy medium! Not too hot and not too cold....just right!
Goldilocks? Your funny & you don't even know it...
they rub on the sides when the coil towers bend normally [thats why we got under chassis bump stops on aug 92 on models in Aus]

They can also touch on the front depending on caster set up too, easy fix is run the flapper disc around the lip of the bump stop cup and take it back to flush with the side of the can.
Thanks Darren, I'm going back to stock control arm bushings... so if they still hit I will grind off the lip of the bump can retainer. I'm getting some Slinky front coils & don't want to take the paint off them.

Question on the pre 92 front frame bumps:
Does the rear frame bumps fit the front & if so, then how much spacing do I need to make it work in front?

Or you can just remove the can. That's what I did when running J's with a spacer while using caster plates.

I noticed this too when I was doing a bit more *testing* of the new Slinkys over the weekend. High Speed whoops that went to full bump would contact this spot. I'm running Slee plates for caster correction which I think should be about right for the amount of lift I'm at with the Slinkys. I planned to just do what you mentioned Darren and knock the edge off the bump stop with a flap wheel.

i thought of trimming that edge too but when i saw how bowed the spring was i didn't feel i was solving the problem. it seems more like a band aid. are there any adverse effects from running the spring bowed/curved like in the pic below? i would think the coil is in compression to the left of the red line and the right half is more relaxed or maybe in tension since the upper and lower perches are not parallel and in line with each other.
20150907_183800 modified.jpg

I'm curious to see how this all works out with the MAF brackets and OEM bushings.

I'm experiencing the same with my TJM/castor crrection plates setup. I've been told this is normal and to grind the front lip from the bump stop. As he'd done the same. Interesting...

Would'nt radius arm drop brackets fix this issue?
No, make it worse but so little I didn't mention it. The pivot point is 2.5" lower so it does come back a wee bit.

It has been mentioned that moving the axle forward would help also.

it's the style of caster plates you guys are using. Caster plates that hinge the axle on the rear bolt tilt the spring in such a way as to cause this problem. It has nothing to do with how much caster you have.
So is there a style of caster plate that doesn't do this? Yours perhaps?

it's the style of caster plates you guys are using. Caster plates that hinge the axle on the rear bolt tilt the spring in such a way as to cause this problem. It has nothing to do with how much caster you have.
Hey landtank!
Yah, your caster brackets would help also.
WAIT.
There not you brackets anymore... why isn't Joey chiming in?

Last edited:
That's funny... I didn't tag you & you posted 2 minutes later.
Yeah ok, I thought you bought landtank out.

I might as well mention an old school washer mod would also rotate the axle in the same manner.

Well that sort of contradicts itself pretty well, doesnt it.

Its the caster you have, because of how you have it, but its not the caster that does it.

Its mainly due to increased travel and panhard rod pull, than caster.

Offset swivel bearings is a good caster add too, as you can add neg camber at the same time, for improved handling and tyre wear.

Bent towers doesnt help either.

I think looking at 40 front bump stops they are the same unequal length, but I havent tried the bolt holes, but would only be half a hole out which would just mean slotting the holes to the outside to bolt them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom