Built to the Hilt FJ80 Suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4WheelUnderground

Suspension is EVERYTHING
Threads
OK gang, I have to ask all you FJ80 guys, how serious are you about wheelin'. I want to grow my buisness and am looking at the 80 to do so. But I need to know if you'll actually wheel the crap out of it or just go the store with it. I intend to re-engineer the suspension from head to toe just as I have with the Mini Trucks. I build performance systems, the ultimate questions is, do you guys want the best or are simple "LIFT" kits all you want? I intend to build new brackets, new link arms, add coilovers and air bumps.

i wheel the crap out of my daily driver

i wheel the **** out of my daily driver

X2, I wheel the pi$$ out of mine too, but mine is a toy, not a daily driver. I would love for my 80 to have the front flex that the mini on your website has.

"if you build it, they will come"

I love to wheel mine as hard as my ability and wallet will let me but it has to be able to go to the store too.

Look around, there are no off-the-shelf hardcore kits available. I also agree that if you build it they will come.

I am seriously looking at 3 linking mine.... how long till a kit is available?

VCCruzr said:
X2, I wheel the pi$$ out of mine too, but mine is a toy, not a daily driver. I would love for my 80 to have the front flex that the mini on your website has.

"if you build it, they will come"

X3 I wheel hard. X2 it's a toy. But I love to drive it around town running errands. Can I have the best of both worlds?!? If you can do that, I'm pretty sure people will come out of the wood work.

I love to wheel mine as hard as my ability and wallet will let me but it has to be able to go to the store too.

My own definition of a "ROCK CRAWLER" suspension is, half assed "I put it where it fit" designs from the past. I'm very proud of my design on the mini truck and I dont tow mine any were. If my girl friend cant drive it comfortably then its worthless to me. I spent 5 + years learning what it takes to build a system that works better than 99.9% of the stuff out there and I WON't put my name or reputation on anything that is sub par. All of my clients so far have been thrilled with the performance on both my front and rear designs, I plan on to continue that with the 80.

What I need is a vehicle to test on. If you happen to be that guy, what I offer is the retail price of what the kit would be (similar to the mini stuff) plus only $500 to test it, tuning, design and install it. Trust me that $500 will pay what I'd spend in gas. It isn't profit. But in the end you'll be able to drive away with the vehicle. "HOWEVER" I would not include in that price what ever steering parts would be needed. Ideally I'd like to build something that will work with both the stock steering and the Hellfire knuckles.

What exactly do you have in mind aside from a 3-link setup with coilovers? It could be kept simple or you could go all out with Hellfire knuckles, high steer, hydro steering etc. At that point maybe even look at a full 1-ton conversion? Any plans for the rear? Just trying to get a feel for how extravagant, ie how expensive, this may turn out.

What exactly do you have in mind aside from a 3-link setup with coilovers? It could be kept simple or you could go all out with Hellfire knuckles, high steer, hydro steering etc. At that point maybe even look at a full 1-ton conversion? Any plans for the rear? Just trying to get a feel for how extravagant, ie how expensive, this may turn out.

Currently I'm working on a 1Ton conversion for the Minis. If the demand is there, I'll certainly do it for the 80's too.

As for standard coils vs. coilovers. Standard coils need to be either purchased from a used vehicle, which is kinda crappy for a kit you're buying. Or they have to be purchased new in the 1000's. Which ain't doable for a small company. Coilovers are adjustable in the shocks, and spring. The springs are somewhat cheap. The shocks aren't but, theres not alot I can do about that.

As for the rear, yep! Thats on the list too.

Sweet

4WheelUnderground said:
You're both in SD, not bigy.

As for the rear, from what I've "seen". I'd address it too.

Yup, north county.

Well, I'm no expert. I'd like to hear your ideas. I'll call you tomorrow.

I wheel mine hard as well.

I would give you mine

To bad your on the wrong coast:bang:

I will buy one on the west coast and offer up. I'm
interested, and haven't even bought one (though we ALL know I'm trying) yet.

I've spent so much time attempting to acquire that I haven't even began to consider a set up, but I've yet to understand the aversion to coil overs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom