Built some drawers... Didn't use drawer slides (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^^^^ simply sealing the wood with poly or other will prevent this. Just apply a couple coats before carpet.

Is there a specific reason you used birch? Thanks.

Is there a specific reason you used birch? Thanks.

Birch is generally the lightest and strongest combination. It tends to have fewer voids.

Thanks for sharing great design!!

I know this is an old thread but I have a few questions about these type of slides and this thread came up on my Google searches.

1. Unloaded and loaded do these slides slide pretty smoothly. As in can my grand mother open a fully loaded drawer on her own with no assistance

2. Is there a way to make this drawer lock in and out and still be easily removed?

3. Keeping number 2 in mind can I use uhmw L channel on all 4 corners of the drawer and the skeleton to keep the drag at an extreme minimum. This would mean all 4 corners would be uhmw on uhmw.

I say keep number 2 in mind on this because my thought was to add a stop and the end of the drawer to stop it from falling out. Also though the drawer could be removed but tilting it upward and out but if there's uhmw on all corners them it may be tough to do this.

I’m very happy with it in my drawer build also. During the build I tested UHMW on UHMW and it actually seemed to have more resistance than UHMW on wood. I used 3 flat strips underneath the drawer, no corner pieces. It is definitely not effortless like heavy duty ball bearing slides tho.

I’m very happy with it in my drawer build also. During the build I tested UHMW on UHMW and it actually seemed to have more resistance than UHMW on wood. I used 3 flat strips underneath the drawer, no corner pieces. It is definitely not effortless like heavy duty ball bearing slides tho.
Thousands upon thousands and thousands of in and out cycles on this and no visible wear other than UV damage.

9B125BEE-81EF-4B90-8CFD-966E49F62B38.jpeg

Would like to build some but don't want to give up the space. Decisions decisions!?!?

Like the title says, I built some drawers over the weekend. nothing real fancy. I took a lot of ideas from other drawers that have been posted up but went another direction when it came to the slides.

I have a couple sets of 26" Accuride heavy duty ball bearing drawer slides I was going to use, but a wanted more depth and to be able to easily remove the drawer if I wanted. So I ordered up a 10' stick of UHMW L-Angle from usplastics.com. 3.71 a foot. I know similar has been done before, but I figured I post up my take on the stuff.

Exact stuff I used: 1/4" Thick x 1-1/2" L x 1-1/2" W UHMW PE L-Angle | U.S. Plastic Corp. - http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=46061&catid=868

My drawers measure approximately 31.5" deep, 20" wide, and 11" high. Pretty **** big. I left a long cubby directly behind the second row. The plastic runners work really well. Doesn't side quite as smooth as ball bearings but for the price it can't be beat. I would definatly recommend using this stuff instead of forking over the cash for ball bearing slides.

I'm about 75% done with them. I have a little fine tuning to do with wood filler and sanding then I'm going to spray it with tan Al's Liner. The drawer faces are going to get stained and cleared.

View attachment 728019

View attachment 728020

View attachment 728021
Did u add the L shaped plastic to not the drawer and the base(box) or just the box?? I love this design

Did u add the L shaped plastic to not the drawer and the base(box) or just the box?? I love this design
It is only where you see it in the first pic of the thread.

Over 10 years and these are still going strong.

UHMW is used as chain guides on chain conveyors all over the world. It's the slickest stuff in town. If you really want to impress the cool kids use Murtfeldt green:
1689884119225.png

1689884231949.png

FWIW, using two pieces of similar material for "frictionless" sliding won't work. Cohesive forces build up and you get sticky, not slidey.

I...or rather my carpenter friend didn't use slides either when he built mine. They are quite tight fitting, and if I needed to 'ease' one I run a candle along the runner. I did on one ocassion nearly loose my fridge when parked on a slope, one of my off road buddies saved the day, there is now an anchor chain to make sure it never happens again. All the rest of the drawers fit and work as good as the day they were built sround eight or so years ago? For good measure they are covered in a hard wearing material similar to that used to cover event loudspeakers.

The system is modular in design and goes together like a jigsaw, including the heated wardrobe......yeh I know. ;)

Next time I go off road for a few days I will fit the lot with pictures to show how it all works.

Regards

Dave

I wonder if you could put some kind of slick stuff on the bottom of the drawer or cabinet to help stave friction when they become loaded? I'm envisioning the middle of the drawer bowing and making contact with the cabinet, making it more difficult to slide them out when full.

I love the idea, work and craftsmanship! Great job!
I used candle wax, works great and no mess.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom