Built some drawers... Didn't use drawer slides (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thatcabledude

GOLD Star
Threads
Like the title says, I built some drawers over the weekend. nothing real fancy. I took a lot of ideas from other drawers that have been posted up but went another direction when it came to the slides.

I have a couple sets of 26" Accuride heavy duty ball bearing drawer slides I was going to use, but a wanted more depth and to be able to easily remove the drawer if I wanted. So I ordered up a 10' stick of UHMW L-Angle from usplastics.com. 3.71 a foot. I know similar has been done before, but I figured I post up my take on the stuff.

Exact stuff I used: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=46061&catid=868

My drawers measure approximately 31.5" deep, 20" wide, and 11" high. Pretty **** big. I left a long cubby directly behind the second row. The plastic runners work really well. Doesn't side quite as smooth as ball bearings but for the price it can't be beat. I would definatly recommend using this stuff instead of forking over the cash for ball bearing slides.

I'm about 75% done with them. I have a little fine tuning to do with wood filler and sanding then I'm going to spray it with tan Al's Liner. The drawer faces are going to get stained and cleared.

DRAWER5.jpg

DRAWER7.jpg

DRAWER8.jpg

Nice work. Def the best, most useful mod I have done.

It looks GREAT.

I'm curious though, why didn't you put rollers in such a nice drawer build? I wish I could build a set that nice.

Jcruse:
I have a couple sets of 26" Accuride heavy duty ball bearing drawer slides I was going to use, but a wanted more depth and to be able to easily remove the drawer if I wanted.
Cabledude those look great and I like the fact that they come out all the way, would make packing and unpacking alot easier. :clap:

Sent from my busted to s*** EVO4G

Cabledude those look great and I like the fact that they come out all the way, would make packing and unpacking alot easier. :clap:

Sent from my busted to **** EVO4G

Yeah you can get bearing slides that detatch and do the same thing but this slick ass plastic does the same thing for about $30. Most aren't concerned with weight but heavy duty ball bearing slides are HEAVY. This stuff is 1lb max.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Hopefully I finish them soon and don't put it off now that they are in the truck.:p Easy to remove though.

Those look great. I have thought about building a drawer system, but I always balked at the cost of quality bearing drawer slides. This seems like a livable compromise. Have you tried them full loaded, how much weight?

Fully loaded no, but with about 60lbs it was just fine. Going to take a lot to get these fully loaded! I'm temted to say that it may slide better the more weight thats added. Have to test that out.

I wonder if you could put some kind of slick stuff on the bottom of the drawer or cabinet to help stave friction when they become loaded? I'm envisioning the middle of the drawer bowing and making contact with the cabinet, making it more difficult to slide them out when full.

I love the idea, work and craftsmanship! Great job!

I wonder if you could put some kind of slick stuff on the bottom of the drawer or cabinet to help stave friction when they become loaded? I'm envisioning the middle of the drawer bowing and making contact with the cabinet, making it more difficult to slide them out when full.

I love the idea, work and craftsmanship! Great job!
Thanks! It did cross my mind to add some of the UHMW plastic to the drawers too but found it unnecessary. There definitely won't be ant bowing of the drawer bottoms.... 3/4 birch ply. Almost went 1/2in for the bottom to save weight but used what I already had.

Looks great. How did you attach them to the floor board?

CableDude, that is a beautiful drawer set.

Did you use the UHMW L-Angle on the drawers bottom as well? Does the driver's side flip up so you can access the jack area?

Great job

I bolted it through 4 existing holes in floor originally for the 3rd row "strike bars" You know the for things in the middle of the floor the seats latched to.

Had to get longer metric bolts from Ace. M12x1.50 I think.

Before pic showing what I'm talking about......

3RD_ROW.jpg

CableDude, that is a beautiful drawer set.

Did you use the UHMW L-Angle on the drawers bottom as well? Does the driver's side flip up so you can access the jack area?

Great job
The thought crossed my mind but I only put it in the area shown.

Can't access the jack area anymore. No need to though... There is nothing in it anymore!:)

Scrowley: I remember yours. They came to mind when I decided to ditch my slides.

There was also a guy (don't remember his user name) that sold a kit that used LDPE plastic runners down the center of the drawers. That solidified my decision.

How is the UHMW L-Angle attached to the cabinet, recessed nails or screws?
I read a bit about the UHMW (after reading your post) and there was some information about the wood splintering into the UHMW if not sanded well enough. Did you or will you be sealing the drawer exterior? I would think polyurethane may bind a bit on the UHMW, do you concur?

How is the UHMW L-Angle attached to the cabinet, recessed nails or screws?
I read a bit about the UHMW (after reading your post) and there was some information about the wood splintering into the UHMW if not sanded well enough. Did you or will you be sealing the drawer exterior? I would think polyurethane may bind a bit on the UHMW, do you concur?
The angle is attached with counter sunk screws through the side portion. Nothing on the bottom portion. Although I don't foresee wood spinters being able to penetrate the plastic I did I sand the wood down with an orbital sander.

I am not completely done with them yet, but as of right now I am only going to stain and seal the drawer faces. The rest is going to get tan colored Al's Liner. I do have some black oil based paint that I may cover the hidden areas with.

As for the interior of the actual drawers I am planing on lining them with Hydro-Turf I have left over from redoing my Waverunners.

For those who don't know what Hydro-Turf is.......
http://hydroturf.com/pwc_matcolors.php

The thought crossed my mind but I only put it in the area shown.

Can't access the jack area anymore. No need to though... There is nothing in it anymore!:)
Thanks...

Again very cool design Dude

Nice ! I've got to get something like this going, I like your build plan. Thanks for sharing it !:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom