Builds Building the dream (PZJ77) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, it's all galvanized. I'm unsure if it's cast or not, I just know I have to take a wire wheel to all the spots to be welded to clean off the chemicals.

Any advise? The s*** I bought has some super thick walls, I'm a bit worried about penatration?

MOPP level 4!!

Hello,

Good ventilation will help driving welding gases away from you, especially if you are using just a welding helmet.

Make sure your garage/shop has every door and window open. If you have a fan. use it.

My two cents.

Juan

Good info. I'll bring a fan with me! We had to push back welding due to unforeseen event. Not sure where or when I'll be able to get to it :mad:

More progress over the last few weeks. After I got everything chopped and measured my friend welded the sliders together during his down time. They came out awesome!

image.jpeg

After a few days I met up with two buddies who helped me weld them directly to the frame. We used three connections on each slider and gusseted each. The middle and rear connections are straight bars cut at 15.X cm. The front passenger (left) side is 23cm and has a slight angle to match the frame's inward bend. The front driver (right) side bar is about 37cm. We made it by bending two 20-ish degree bends then cutting it perpendicular to it's axis. This left an oblique surface which mated up with the bottom surface of the frame. It drops about as low as the transfer case skid plate.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

All in all in very happy with the welding. It not pretty, but it holds. I can jack the truck from each slider, but it's nerve racking. I can't believe the little 100v stick welder performed. However, I will likely have a professional go in and tighten up the welds at a later time.

image.jpeg

I prepped the sliders with a rust eating soap, then washed with alcohol until my paper towel came off clean. I coated the sliders with three coats of Por15 (rustoleum's version). I used a foam brush for the joinery and laid it think with each coat. For flat surfaces I used a small foam roller. After the primer I coated it with 3 coats of rustoleum's rattle-can bed liner. I feel it came out well. During this time I was also able to clean and paint my spare tire carrier in the same fashion.

image.jpeg

Next project will be attaching my back up camera, cleaning up the mirror mounts and bolting in my new mirrors, re-painting my grill, and putting band-aids on the few rust spots on the truck.

image.jpeg

Slider finish is good enough. There is a small section where I laid it on a bit thick and it ran. However, considering the purpose I'm not too worried.

image.jpeg

No more burgundy and flacks-white finish on my carrier, looks like it belongs now.

image.jpeg

A rolling shot of my Friends 78, that thing is Crazy. 37" tires, custom coil sprung at every corner. All his bar work is bolt on due to Japan's annual inspection.

Well I acquired a factory bumper assembly which is mostly complete. I will need to order the gaskets for the rear quarter fairings but that is it. It does need a bit of TLC but that's part of the fun. Any shway I started prep work by stripping the rust from rear bumper and the frame mounts. I was able to get everything painted up and ready for continued work but I'm getting alerted out to Pago Pago as I write this. Luckily the three coats of por15 dried befor I had to leave.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So in between work and family obligations I managed to get the main body of the bumpers cleaned and painted. This mostly involved staying up till 2 in the morning over a week. I ended up doing an electrical bath but forgot to take pictures. After letting the parts sit over night I scrubbed with acid-based rust stripper then primed and painted. I used all new hardware. All of which is stainless, sans the carriage bolts which are just finished in some anti corrosive coating. I ended up paining all the assembly bolts with por15 to protect them just prior to install.

image.jpeg

I drove around like that ^ for a few days (minus the paper).

As it sits now, all the main structures are bolted up and finished in a spray-on Berliner coating. Which, by the way, I'm very happy with. It has a very slight texture but not too gritty/ugly like rhino liner. Works well for applications like this.

image.jpeg

I still need to fill some damage to the left quarter fairing and paint it along with the remaining plastic trim. I'm undecided if I want to finish the plastics in the bed liner or use a semigloss automotive trim paint. Open to suggestions?

Really I'm doing this for two reasons: 1) I'm unsure how the inspection will go once I import the truck, I don't want to catch grief for not having a rear bumper. 2) My wife backed into a parked car she couldn't see. I bought a camera that day. Still need to install it.

I still need to fill some damage to the left quarter fairing and paint it along with the remaining plastic trim. I'm undecided if I want to finish the plastics in the bed liner or use a semigloss automotive trim paint. Open to suggestions?

Nice work, the stock bumper doesn't look too bad after that paint. I would avoid the bed liner on the trim. UV tends to fade bed liner pretty badly and paint would be easier to touch-up IMO.

Very good point, I didn't think about that. You pretty much made up my mind. I do like the look without the bling. I'm considering this as a temp solution until I can get a real bumper, however looking at the construction, it may be readable to box it in and retrofit recovery points. But this may just be my imagination getting the best oc me.

PARTS!!!!!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hopefully I can get some of this stuff on before I put old girl on a boat to America. Moving across the world with two kids, three pets, and a truck is a good way to pass time.

Trying to take it to the port on the 26th. I'm flying a channel mission tomorrow and will be gone for a week. I still need to super clean the truck and possibly bug bomb it prior to dropping it off. I'm getting very nervous and crunched for time. All the little projects I sent aside are stacking up.

Last edited:
Get it steam cleaned outside and professionally detailed is the advice I can give you. It can't have any caked up dirt or anything on it

where about are you in Japan.
If you are in Nagoya or close by I know of a guy.
Pacific Coast JDM may be another person to contact (Derek) who would point you in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom