Building a...well, "something"...from an FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just plain ugly Fouad? Heck I actually like this look:
Earlier.jpg

A shortened/widened model-T type rear would sit well on this I reckon:
DSC00235.JPG

And tasteful sweeping guards, running boards and massive rear tyres (perhaps even dualies).

But then I guess I'm stuck in a groove with "40-series" and "old trucks" and fail to appreciate the concepts of "elongation" and "low-slung" :D

Oh yeaaahhh. I can dig that one all right!

So there's the challenge Fouad..

If you going to go LOW and LONG, then you need to better this one!!!

Last edited:
We did get around to chopping and channeling. Eventually. All in good time.

Regarding the actual lowering process...well...let me just say that the decision to go low was tempered by a need to not go SO low as for the car to become a pain in the a$$ to drive. There was discussion on air-riding the car...installing air bags that could raise and lower it...which I immediately dismissed because it would compromise on the handling of the car. We had lots of back and forth on lowering springs. Frame flips. Shock tower adjustments. There was also much discussion on how we wanted the car to eventually turn out. The Deuce - venerated '32 Ford - was the OBVIOUS example...

Nope. "No air bags", said I. "No fancy stuff that will make it less of a pleasure to hoon around. And as for the looks? Well...why not make it look completely unique?"

:)

...installing air bags ... would compromise on the handling of the car

Huh? I and hundreds of customizers and car manufacturers disagree. Audi AllRoad comes to mind.

Do you really think this rat is going to handle very well, in any case?

I do think it'll handle well, Eddy. And (while this opinion may be jumping the gun somewhat) it does. :)

But that's somewhat besides the point. Our experiences are what dictates our preferences to a large extent. A friend of mine bagged a 65 Impala, and had them fail on him in the middle of a car show. Another friend had the air-ride on his Range Rover give up on him in the middle of an off-roading trek. I like the adjustable ride height on my own Range Rover just fine. In my front porch, though...not on the trail. And perhaps most pertinently, you work with what's readily available and easily done...even in a quirky, offbeat project like this one. Such things aren't really common - nor popular - in my particular neck of the woods.

I don't negate the experiences or opinions of others, when I state my aversion to air-ride suspension. I simply state what I would - or wouldn't - do to my own car.

Dr. Hafeez strikes again! I like it.

Professor Hafeez - What type of springs do you have in your windshield hold down clamps? Something looks a little skewed between the height of the windshield and the location of those hold down clamps.......;)

When it comes to thinking outside the box with an FJ40, let's just say, At times, it appears you never, ever started in the box. :idea:

Nice creative work you got going over there.

Professor Hafeez - What type of springs do you have in your windshield hold down clamps? Something looks a little skewed between the height of the windshield and the location of those hold down clamps.......;)

When it comes to thinking outside the box with an FJ40, let's just say, At times, it appears you never, ever started in the box. :idea:

Nice creative work you got going over there.
Thanks for the appreciative words. Actually, with such a steeply raked back windscreen, we didn't want to make it even capable of moving around, so it's not a fold-down screen at all. It's bolted down, fast. And has just two positions: the one you currently see, and one where it's removed completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom