Build a remote? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know it can probably be done, I need a remote for my 3pin 8274 warn, anyone here built there own or should I just hold out to find a used one? Does Warn still carry these?

Thanks.

Bueller?.................anyone? :frown:

I was told by the big authorized Warn service center that I bought my 8274 rebuild parts from that Warn no longer makes anything to do with the old 4-pin plugs, they've completely gone to the newer standardized 5-pin plugs.

Best thing that you could do is get the new 5 pin female plug for the winch and rewire. You would then be able to use the newer remote. If something happened to your remote you would be able to borrow a friends remote for your winch. You should be able to use the newer wiring diagram for the 8274 to figure out the wiring. If not I have always found Warn tech help excellent to deal with. No way that I would keep the old 4 pin plugs. 5 pin Remotes are pretty cheap now if you do some shopping around.

Well, if you don't mind feeling a little red under the collar....:eek:

Here's my homemade remote for my 1986 Warn M12000 (3-wire). One side of a DBDT (center off) that I had lying around, some wire, plywood, and good 'ol duct-tape.

I use an RV trailer style harness that I've hooked up to my winch. Won't earn you too many style awards, but she works just fine. :cheers:
DSCN2519.jpg
DSCN2521.jpg

around these parts, I like to refer to duct tape as "west virginia chrome"

it might not look pretty, but when it pulls your ass out of a bind, who cares?

i used a 4 pin trailer plug as well.i still had the warn handheld,and just swapped the wires over.since the trailer plug is a 4 pin,and the warn wiring is 3 wire,you have to make sure your getting the wires correct versus plug orientation (the plug is keyed)it's was simple to replace my badly corroded 3 pin plug.
IMG_0102_1.jpg
IMG_0103_1.jpg
IMG_0096_1.jpg

DSC02205.JPG

I "Found" a few spare conectors at work:hmm: when we where quiet one day and put two into the cable so it can be run from the winch or taken apart and then pluged into a cable into the cab. This is directly conected to the solanoids on one end with a female plug on the other. Now I almost never plug into the winch anymore and I've got about a 5 meter extension if I want to extend it.
These conectors are plated brass and top of the range waterproof I think they origanate in the airaspace industry and best of all they where cheaper than duck tape to me.
(Elephant tape, gaff tape, Duck tape or whaterver it is called)
DSC02205.JPG

Here's my homemade remote for my 1986 Warn M12000 (3-wire). One side of a DBDT (center off) that I had lying around, some wire, plywood, and good 'ol duct-tape.

I use an RV trailer style harness that I've hooked up to my winch. Won't earn you too many style awards, but she works just fine. :cheers:
Just get a section of PVC with two end caps and you could make that rig look respectable. Drill holes in the end caps, mount the switch in one end and run the wire out the other with a UL knot to act as a strain relief.

Thanks for the idea! I just never got around to improving it since the original build. :cheers:

Giddyup Rob, I like it!! :hillbilly:
I have the same rv plug on the end of a Warn remote. $10, works just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom