Broken speedo gear housing on '92 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post here, and I may need a hand. I had some gear oil leaking out of my T-Case, externally from the big O-ring and internally through the speedo cable itself. I ordered both seals but had difficulty separating the electrical pickup / sensor portion from the gear driven portion that goes into the T-Case....as you'll see in the pic, they're still attached. Anyhow, while cranking on the two I broke the nose of the gear driven part. I checked the website that I normally go to for hard to find stuff [Lakeland Toyota Parts Overstock] but that part is not available. Does anyone have one lying around, maybe from a T-Case rebuild? In the meantime, I'm going to go out on a limb and put the shaft back in - I think there's still enough material in the nose to keep it spinning without any further damage...fingers crossed. Thanks in advance for any assistance or ad
IMG_2581.JPG
vice!

I feel like anyone parting out a truck should be able to hook you up pretty easily on this. In the meantime, I would just expoxy putty/JB weld it back together. Its a pretty simple part, so as long as it holds the shaft, you are probably just fine. They make a "steel" tape (Fiber Fix) you dip in water, might be snake oil, but I would be interested to see if you have any luck.

Well what a difference a few days makes - I struck out with a few phone calls and visits to local junkyards, but I went down to Toyota Carlsbad expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised to find that they could order the part, and it was only $20! I picked it up this afternoon, and installed it this evening. Also, in the interim I did stick the broken one back in "as is" and it worked just fine. OK, next project is birf replacement along with seals, trunion bearings, wheel bearings, etc. I've torn that apart previously to repack the birfs and replace one axle seal so I'm somewhat familiar with the job - the only difference is that I'll be separating the birf from the axle this time around. Hopefully they have not become one over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom