Broken bolts and rusted and broken weld nuts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A new problem for me but hopefully not for the forum. I have the frame off and after removing the rusted rear frame cross member and gussets (working on these), I find that I had rusted bolt/welded nut combinations on bottom of frame. Worked on these and first broke most of the bolts them had minimal success with extraction. Now I have some holes with welded nuts broken free and other holes with rusted but still intact nuts. For the nuts which remain, I attempted to take a good bolt and thread it in. Flattened the threads on the bolt. Probably have just one good hole. Looking for solution. Learned a little about nut inserts, reluctant to purchase expensive r thread repair kit, etc. some advice would be gratly appreciated. Also, on the gussets, I need to replace these. See they have them for sale on cruiser solutions. Are there other vendors or options for these? Thank you in advance!

as a mattr of fact..... I just worked this very thing :

image.jpg

Solution :

Once you get the bolt out, and if you still have a weld nut - See my Rubber Bump Stop thread, and :

image.jpg

Thanks for the info. So is the m8 x 1.25 tap you mention the same as a thread restorer tap? No question is a dumb question if you don't know the answer....

Im not sure about that - so, here is my suggestion : read thru this article :

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/nuts-and-bolts.76927/ and use the 'SEARCH" function to make sure. I have read lots of great write ups, and have to go back and SEARCH for them from time to time - especially since they are often updated with new information.

There are only a couple of metric thread size & pithes - most probably depend on the amount of holding power required to keep 2 parts together. I think you will find your answers in the thread above.

Just did my rear frame with the cruiser solutions parts--they are great. A vendor "landcruiserparts" also sells cross members, gussets, etc. on ebay.

8 x 1.25 is the right pitch for those bolts you were showing. A tap is more than likely the tool of choice for what you will need to be doing. A thread restorer is good for "cleaning up " threads that may be slightly distorted.( which rarely happens )

Something that may help with the nuts that were welded in the frame coming loose is to either drill a hole next to the nut and weld it back into place. Or weld a nut onto a washer and drill a bigger hole in the frame where the nut was and lay the washer with the nut recessed into the frame and weld it in .

Hope this helps..

Thank you all for the info and I'll do some more searching and come up with a plan! Awesome forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom