Brakes source (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I have a 79 FJ40 now and I need to do a brake job. Can anyone recommend a good source. I need to do all four corners. Just got the truck so haven't investigated whether all drumm or a mix of drumm and rotors or all converted to rotors.

Thanks,

Trevor

You cant go wrong with the Toyota Dealer. If not a couple of folks on here are parts suppliers. Beano comes to mind.

Back again so I have discs front drum back as is stock. I don't see any leaking brake fluid anywhere and no strange noises from the brakes but the pedal is very spongey and feels like goes to the floor. I topped off the reservoir and still spongey. anyone have any thoughts to rectify. Haven't pulled wheels off yet to check pads but when they bite they bite but pedal is soft.

thanks

Trevor

Try adjusting first, no cost. It's been too many years since I went to all discs so I'm fuzzy on the adjustment procedure, so use the search function for the correct procedure.

Don

How difficult is it to convert to rear disc brakes. Is it a bolt up operation for the most part or can this be a little tricky?

Thanks

Trevor

Search on rear disc brake. You'll find a number of quality threads that contain the parts needed and their part numbers. Poser has a great thread and also sells the parts. The parts are non toyota, but they work well. BTDT.

I read the above thread and I will try to adjust my brakes. I tried to adjust by the e brake and it got better but still could be more. I'm going to try adjusting the brake cylinders at each wheel.

How difficult is it to convert to rear disc brakes. Is it a bolt up operation for the most part or can this be a little tricky?

Thanks

Trevor

Easiest mod you can do. @Poser sells the everything you need except confidence. That you need to bring yourself. I had no skills whatsoever before buying my truck. Since then, I did everything myself, rebuilt the knuckles, 4 wheel discs, added power steering, new water pump, new suspension, new radiator, etc. If you can read and follow a process, everything is doable.

Try to bleed the brakes first. If the pedal still goes to the floor, you probably have a a bad Master Cylinder.

x2 especially if it has been sitting.

I read the above thread and I will try to adjust my brakes. I tried to adjust by the e brake and it got better but still could be more. I'm going to try adjusting the brake cylinders at each wheel.

Adjusting the e-brake only will not properly adjust rear brakes. Proper e-brake adjustment can only be done once the regular brakes are working, and adjusted, the way they should.

Get the rears working properly and, like your last post, let us know how it's going.

Don

Hey Don thanks for the reply. The ebrake adjustment did help some but I think if I hit the rear wheels it should all trun out well for now.

Will keep you guys posted.

Trevor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom